Wed, Sep 18, 11:50 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Thanks to the Powers that Be

tjohn ( ) posted Sat, 03 August 2002 at 8:27 PM ยท edited Sat, 27 July 2024 at 1:48 AM

I was posting my latest work today and was reluctantly not going to check the rating box, after one too many mean-spirited responses dropping an "8" average to a "4", when I saw the new "constructive criticism" style rating system. When these kind of responses could only at worst be "Hmm...", I think I can handle that kind of rejection. I know I shouldn't let it bother me, but it does. I doubt if anyone ever thought it felt good to get slimed.

This is not my "second childhood". I'm not finished with the first one yet.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

"I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather....not screaming in terror like the passengers on his bus." - Jack Handy

clay ( ) posted Sun, 04 August 2002 at 12:00 AM

You can turn all those options off tjohn, for comments, e-mail and ratings. I've been hacked on too, so don't feel alone, it just part of the artistic way :-)

Do atleast one thing a day that scares the hell outta ya!!

cshaftoe ( ) posted Sun, 04 August 2002 at 6:32 AM

Never take critisism seriously. It'll eat you up. Remember, they may not know what they're taking about. I worked for weeks on my last challenge entry and was disapointed that I didn't get more than 2 votes.. so what...? Everyone's mind works differently...so 'Hmmm' might mean 'interesting' or 'not sure'. Hope this helps. Regards The Bryster

johnpenn ( ) posted Sun, 04 August 2002 at 7:02 AM

The new rating system is exactly the same as the 10 scale rating system with vague words describing the numbers. It even averages the new word ratings! It's like the politically correct way of saying, hey, this art scores a 2 on a ten scale. I hope no one is fooled by it. It's still a flawed system, and I wouldn't pay any attention to it at all.

tjohn ( ) posted Sun, 04 August 2002 at 7:28 AM

Clay:"You can turn all those options off tjohn, for comments, e-mail and ratings. I've been hacked on too, so don't feel alone, it just part of the artistic way :-)" Yeah, but I WANT the honest feedback from the artists here...I do think it helps to improve my chops, so to speak. The hacking is coming from non-artists (at least, they never seem to have any art posted when you try to check out THEIR galleries). I'm amazed that some people with an interest in art are so shallow. The least that human beings can do is be CIVIL to one another, don't you think? JohnPenn: I have to respectfully disagree. The new ratings are much closer to reality. Did anyone with real taste in art ever look at the Mona Lisa and say: "I give it a 10! Woo-hoo!"? (Maybe Homer Simpson):^). But comments like "Excellent", "Great" have been used many times. Using a 10 scale makes as much sense to me as using thumbs up, thumbs down-it just doesn't seem appropriate when critiquing art. Thanks to all for your comments. :^)

This is not my "second childhood". I'm not finished with the first one yet.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

"I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather....not screaming in terror like the passengers on his bus." - Jack Handy

Nukeboy ( ) posted Sun, 04 August 2002 at 8:57 AM

You can always tell when an "artist" gives honest criticism, they will tell you why they feel the way they do: you know, a little more shadow here, a little more light there... etc.

The slammers that just say something "sucks" are the juveniles that are surfing to see nekkid chicks, therefore, those criticism just don't count.

airflamesred ( ) posted Sun, 04 August 2002 at 9:28 AM

only tick the comments box,if it really is good people will find suitable adjectives.Nude Vicky and spaceships arre guaranteed 50 viewings so doont take to much notice

EricofSD ( ) posted Sun, 04 August 2002 at 7:09 PM

I actually appreciate the criticism, including the simple "sux" ones. Though I mostly post on 3dcommune, there are some here. Just about every image in my portfolio has been reworked or post worked after considering comments from the onlne communities.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.