Sat, Sep 21, 2:32 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser Technical

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum

Forum Moderators: Staff

Poser Technical F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 17 7:30 pm)

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum.

Where computer nerds can Pull out their slide rules and not get laughed at. Pocket protectors are not required. ;-)

This is the place you come to ask questions and share new ideas about using the internal file structure of Poser to push the program past it's normal limits.

New users are encouraged to read the FAQ sections here and on the Poser forum before asking questions.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Is there a tutorial on *.pp2 files available?

Tintifax ( ) posted Wed, 14 August 2002 at 3:44 PM ยท edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 12:31 AM

I started working on a quite complex prop and I wonder what is possible to make this prop as flexible as possible. My main problem is that I don't understand a lot of parts in the *.pp2 file. I have some good *.obj files, but I need to glue them all together with textures in a smart way so I'm trying to work with seperate *.obj files. I found some tutorials on *.obj files, but no detailed ones on *.pp2. regrards - Tintifax

bushi ( ) posted Wed, 14 August 2002 at 4:14 PM

It sounds like what you're really asking about is MAT pose files. There are several of those in the tutorials link at the top of the page. Just use 'mat' as the search keyword. You'll get a bunch of hits that aren't relevant but the ones you want will be in the mix.

Tintifax ( ) posted Wed, 14 August 2002 at 4:39 PM

Yes and no. These MAT pose files may help me, but there are several open issues. I remapped my *.obj files with UVMapper. There are objects of different size that are part of my prop. 2 of them will have the same texture. It seems now that the the *.tif file is completely mapped to each of these objects. On the small object the texture looks very detailed. On the large object the texture is very clumsy. I'm not sure if this is a problem of the vt parts of the *.obj file or of the texture part (e.g. I do not understand things like 'NsExponent', 'tExpo',...) regards - Tintifax

bushi ( ) posted Wed, 14 August 2002 at 4:58 PM

Yes, it follows that if you're using the same texture on parts that are different sizes the texture will not be scaled the same. One approach that comes to mind immediately is to assemble your figure in Poser, export the whole thing to a .obj file then UV map it. That way all the parts will have the same mapping scale. Create your textures based on the template you'd get from 'Mapper. You could then import it it and set it up as a figure in the setup room if you're using the ProPack or build the .phi file and run the assembled figure through the heir converter.

Tintifax ( ) posted Wed, 14 August 2002 at 5:17 PM

This could be a good idea. Thanks for this proposal. By the way, is the scaling information stored in the vt part of the *.obj file?

bushi ( ) posted Wed, 14 August 2002 at 5:26 PM

Attached Link: http://www.royriggs.com/obj.html

Roy Riggs has a tutorial that explains the contents of .obj files. I've included a link to the page.

Quoll ( ) posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 10:10 PM

Make sure your scaling issue isnt something simpler than editing the depths of a text file. If you wanted the texture to appear the same on two different parts of geometry you would need to map those two parts exactly the same way. Which brings to mind the question, could you just use the same object twice and scale one of them down to make the smaller one? If you scaled the image up on the map for the second bit it would look blurrier due to distortion. This could also occur if you were simply rendering a small texture map onto a much larger area on screen.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.