Sat, Sep 21, 4:41 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: EMP

dhastings ( ) posted Sun, 01 September 2002 at 11:16 AM · edited Fri, 16 August 2024 at 9:47 PM

file_22173.JPG

I managed to squeeze in some time for shooting before work last week, and since I'm working at Seattle Center, I thought I'd see what I could do with the ugliest (IMNSHO) building in Seattle.

On this first one, I desaturated, and increased the contrast a lot.

Comments and critisism welcome.

dhastings ( ) posted Sun, 01 September 2002 at 11:24 AM

What do you do with the Space Needle on a clear sunny day?

dhastings ( ) posted Sun, 01 September 2002 at 11:25 AM

file_22174.JPG

Hmm... Let's try that again

dhastings ( ) posted Sun, 01 September 2002 at 11:32 AM

file_22175.JPG

This last one isn't quite what I was looking for. I suspect that part of the problem was that the original was a little over exposed. I also suspect the composition leaves a little to be desired. I tried a couple of different crops, but I liked this one best. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

doruksal ( ) posted Sun, 01 September 2002 at 12:08 PM

The instant I saw the first one, I thought that it was a detail from the "Guggenheim Museum, Bilbao" by Frank O. Gehry... I liked all the pics a lot: they're very fine abstracts with lots of reflected deformations..! All I would ask is to be able to see a general view of the building for I really am curious about it... ...And also, it would have been fine to see more of the pinkish-orange reflections (embedded in the dark reflections) in the 3rd one. :-)

dhastings ( ) posted Sun, 01 September 2002 at 1:09 PM

Funny you should mention Frank Gehry. I didn't know it 'till I looked it up, but he's the architect for the EMP as well. As for general views of the building, I don't have any, but http://www.greatbuildings.com/buildings/Experience_Music_Project.html has a number of photos and other data on the building. For photo number 3, that sounds like a crop I didn't try. Thanks Thank you for your comments. -daveh

mysnapz ( ) posted Sun, 01 September 2002 at 3:02 PM

file_22176.JPG

This building looks fantastic glade I dont live in the US dont think I could stop snapping it. It must change every day with the light and reflections. I have a couple of suggestions add a figure to #1 to gave it scale a person in the bottom right would be cool. #3 you could crop 10 different pictures from this one shot I like the green area in the centre :O)

Those who do not want to imitate anything, produce nothing. Salvador Dali

PunkClown ( ) posted Mon, 02 September 2002 at 12:01 AM

Cool shots ~ I really like the first one, I would love to see this building! (Reason 23 for visiting the States) :-)>

bevchiron ( ) posted Mon, 02 September 2002 at 1:02 AM

What an amazing building! I think Jeff is right about #3, you could get some great crops from that. #1 has such an abstract beauty I think any additions would really detract from the image.

elusive.chaos

"You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star...." (Nietzsche)

starshuffler ( ) posted Mon, 02 September 2002 at 7:02 AM

Hey, I like this building. :-) The first and second ones are kewl!!! My fave is the second. And I like what Jeff did to #3. (*

Alpha ( ) posted Mon, 02 September 2002 at 9:11 AM

Nice Work! Lots of potential with this building, and certainly worth shooting from a bazillion angles and all times of the day/night.

randyrives ( ) posted Mon, 02 September 2002 at 6:34 PM

Fantastic shots! Really like the first one.

dhastings ( ) posted Mon, 02 September 2002 at 11:21 PM

Hey everybody, thanks for your comments. WRT the first image, it was a somewhat unconcious choice to not provide any indication of scale. I didn't really think of it at the time, but both the original shot and the crop were set up to eliminate anything except for the side of the building. mysnapz: thanks for the suggestion and example on #3. This is exactly what I needed. I'd gotten stuck in trying to use most of the image, instead of breaking it down into pieces that work. And for some reason, it never occurred to me to change the orientation. -daveh

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.