Tue, Oct 22, 1:03 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 12:41 am)

Subject: Poser4 PZ3 and rendering in P5

lalverson ( ) posted Thu, 12 September 2002 at 9:21 AM · edited Mon, 21 October 2024 at 2:07 PM

This is what I been wanting to see. A PZ3 from P4, in P5 using the render engines. This is what I found, As Entropic noted materials are different in firefly, specifically bumps and displacment maps. Firefly don't use bumps. But from what I can disearn P5 attempts to use a displacement map in it's place. and at some point will lock up. Now this is not a slam or praise. This is just to show what the two renders look like side by side and with a complex scene (which is what I do alot of).

lalverson ( ) posted Thu, 12 September 2002 at 9:25 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

file_23439.jpg

Image 1 firefly render; raytrace on, everything else off. previous attempt to use the shadows and the rest the render would lock at about 40%-50% and give a pop up showing the parameter window for one of the items in the scene. this render took about 3 minutes to do using draft quality.

lalverson ( ) posted Thu, 12 September 2002 at 9:28 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

file_23440.jpg

Iamge 2 P4 renderer This image took a little longer to do. Mostly due to the options i selected, with were all (Bump,shadow,anitalias) except the shader tree thing.

ronmolina ( ) posted Thu, 12 September 2002 at 9:50 AM

I believe it does use a bump map and can also use a displacemant map. Ron

lalverson ( ) posted Thu, 12 September 2002 at 10:08 AM

that is not what it said in the material room when you click the ? next to bump maps

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Thu, 12 September 2002 at 10:08 AM

The FireFly renderer can use bump maps, it just can't use BUM bump maps. You'll have to convert those to JPEG. Lovely images, by the way. I prefer the one without shadows on the viewscreen/window.

lalverson ( ) posted Thu, 12 September 2002 at 10:11 AM

Ah!

jchimim ( ) posted Thu, 12 September 2002 at 10:19 AM

jpg bump maps?!?!?! no more having to convert to .bum's?!?!? I WANT IT NOW, AIRBORNE!!!!

Daio ( ) posted Thu, 12 September 2002 at 10:34 AM

The lighting, given it is sans shadows, actually looks a bit better in the Firefly render. BTW, was the choice of render a subtle hint?

"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will piss on your computer." -- Bruce Graham

praxis22 ( ) posted Thu, 12 September 2002 at 10:35 AM

The top image is good because it's brighter, but the chair and her hair, sucks. I reckon if you merged the two together you'd have a better imnage. later jb

dirk5027 ( ) posted Thu, 12 September 2002 at 12:23 PM

Bryce uses jpg and not .bum, it's a much better way to go

EvoShandor ( ) posted Thu, 12 September 2002 at 1:27 PM

From what I've seen so far, I am less impressed with the new firefly render engine. Objects appear less detailed, more washed out, more like a cartoon. This may also be due to the fact that people are MAKING their stuff in P4, tested with a P4 render engine, and then comparing that with the same done in P5 w/o the tweaking, jsut imported and rendered. I really don't notice much of a difference aside from ray-tracing, which isn't all that great, except for reflective light, which no one notices anyways.

Entropic ( ) posted Thu, 12 September 2002 at 2:45 PM

"This may also be due to the fact that people are MAKING their stuff in P4, tested with a P4 render engine, and then comparing that with the same done in P5 w/o the tweaking, jsut imported and rendered. I really don't notice much of a difference aside from ray-tracing, which isn't all that great, except for reflective light, which no one notices anyways. " Yes, it is, Evo. Your second point also is attributable to the first. You won't notice the jump in quality and functionality until people redesign the materials set ups for their P4 scenes for P5. "But from what I can disearn P5 attempts to use a displacement map in it's place. and at some point will lock up. " I haven't noticed this. I would simply say, at this point, that firefly expects displacement if the option is available. I had problems with P4 PZ3's because P5 would auto-set a displacement value with no map on import. Whether this is a problem with P5's import, or P4's file writing, I couldn't say. I'm sure some of our local people are already considering these issues, and wanting to be the first to make a utility to streamline imported P4 PZ3's so that no tweaking will be necessary. We'll see. Nice image, btw. ;) Paul

VirtualSite ( ) posted Thu, 12 September 2002 at 4:16 PM

But why are there no shadows in the P5 render?

Entropic ( ) posted Thu, 12 September 2002 at 5:12 PM

I'm going to guess for now ( and this is just a guess ) that the reflection of the surrounding materials is negating shadows. Without seeing the mat set up and the render options, I have no way of evaluating that question with accuracy, Sean. Beyond that, it could also be the lights, although I don't know why they would change on import, so I'd rule that out until I'd explored other possibilities. Paul

Spanki ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 1:11 AM

No shadows, because he turned them off.... "previous attempt to use the shadows and the rest the render would lock at about 40%-50%..." ;)

Cinema4D Plugins (Home of Riptide, Riptide Pro, Undertow, Morph Mill, KyamaSlide and I/Ogre plugins) Poser products Freelance Modelling, Poser Rigging, UV-mapping work for hire.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.