Thu, Sep 19, 5:22 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 17 9:46 am)

Subject: Vue poly count limit when importing from Poser5?

merknz ( ) posted Wed, 25 September 2002 at 4:57 AM ยท edited Fri, 02 August 2024 at 10:55 PM

Hello Peeples :-) When importing a figure from Poser5 into Vue, I often dont get the dynamic hair coming through, I can change this by reducing the amount of verts per hair or the amount of hair strands, but I was wondering if anyone knew what the poly count(?)limit was when importing into Vue? PS. Thank you everyone who commented (incl Gebe) on a forum message I posted a few months ago about the merits of buying Vue or Bryce .. I made the right decision I think :-)

gebe ( ) posted Wed, 25 September 2002 at 5:12 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?Form.ShowMessage=862066

Hi again:-) I don't have Poser 5 yet. Also I cannot be very helpful here. I think we have to wait for an update from e-onsofware, because Poser 5 imports not correctly as you have said. You may have a look at the thread above. Some tests were done by users. Guitta

audity ( ) posted Wed, 25 September 2002 at 6:36 AM

Hi,

One thing that you should know : the new POSER 5 strand hair are a mix of polygons and volume shader. You could surely import the "polygon" hair in a 3rd party application but the effect done during the POSER 5 rendering would be lost.

All the "hair & fur softwares" (Sasquatch, Hair-or-What, Shave and Haircut, etc...) work like this :

a few strands (between 500 & 5000) are created with splines. This will be the basic shape. Then, during rendering a volume shader fills the gaps and simulate millions of strands. This methods saves hours of rendering and allows the software to calculate the dynamic simulations (gravity, damping, wind,...) faster.

The problem of this method is that it works only in a single application. As it's a shading effect, the rendering engine must be adapted to it. So even if E-on release a POSER import update, you will never get the same look as in POSER 5.

Kupa (Steve Cooper from Curious Labs) was clear about this issue : the strand-hair and the dynamic simulation (cloth and hair) included in POSER 5 will not be compatible with 3rd party host applications (that's the reason why I will not upgrade my POSER4pro to POSER 5 !).

:) Eric

merknz ( ) posted Wed, 25 September 2002 at 6:44 AM

Aaaah, now thats interesting ... okay so I cant use Vue's render engine on P5 dynamic hair. It looks like Poser have moved away from allowing their product to be used hand-in-hand with things like Vue and are relying more on their own engine.. on the good side however, all of the Poser4 products still work and the upgrade means you can keep P4 and P5 on your PC .. I'm pretty sure the licensing would allow you to use both :-) Thanks for that Eric, it saved me some hours of frustration in the future :-) Mark

drnw04a ( ) posted Thu, 26 September 2002 at 3:09 PM

I don't think they're moving away from it, Vue's just gotta catch up to the new version of Poser. Since so many people love the Poser import features, I'm sure E-on will get their side of things working with P5 sometime in the near future.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.