Wed, Sep 18, 11:40 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Trying for Photorealism---See what you think

tjohn ( ) posted Tue, 22 October 2002 at 11:39 PM ยท edited Sat, 20 July 2024 at 11:24 PM

file_28556.jpg

2 soft lights, all textures procedural. I was trying for a simple photorealism. What do you think?

This is not my "second childhood". I'm not finished with the first one yet.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

"I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather....not screaming in terror like the passengers on his bus." - Jack Handy

ICMgraphics ( ) posted Wed, 23 October 2002 at 1:13 AM

Wood grain looks good, yet the hammer and nails need better texture, the hammer has some sharp edges, and soften the shadows.(more soft lights) I'm not very good at this yet, although tuttle has done some nice ones and AgentSmith.

Zhann ( ) posted Wed, 23 October 2002 at 1:30 AM

That must be a brand new hammer, mine hasn't looked that good in years! needs some age on the hammer, IMHO. Although I'm not much of a nail and hammer person, more of the Dewalt 18v 5/8 reverseable drill and philips screw gal myself...

Bryce Forum Coordinator....

Vision is the Art of seeing things invisible...

madmax_br5 ( ) posted Wed, 23 October 2002 at 2:04 AM

I like the nail texture. Turn off the shadows for one of the lights...the dual shadows make it look fake. Hammer handle looks good, but maybe the head needs more "weight" to it, such as some nice rich dark steel color. You also need to render with blurry reflections on. Make the specular halo color R150 G150 B150 for the hammer head, and for the nails, R220 G220 G220. Then render with blurry reflections. I would (no pun intented) use an actual wood photo for the plank. Read Angentsmith's tutorial on "adding a stupid amount of detail to a terrain" and apply a real wood texture to it's slightly bumpy terrain you will make.

AgentSmith ( ) posted Wed, 23 October 2002 at 4:57 AM

Attached Link: http://www.castironflamingo.com/tutorial/lightreference/index.html

Hammer handle is great, the hammer head could use a bump map that might suggest some scratches or dents, etc. Try looking at that link. It's from Cast Iron Flamingo, and is a great lighting reference. It will give you different types of light and what values to set your RGB to. Your pic above reminds me of workshop flourescent lighting. Try out different lighting colors, don't be afraid to change them to whatever looks good.

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"

Nukeboy ( ) posted Wed, 23 October 2002 at 8:26 PM

The hammer still looks like it's "floating". Unfortunately, I have the same problem with some of my images... Suggestions, anyone? PS the nails "are" floating. The rim of the head and the very tip both need to be on the surface (wood). Use the orthogonal views to rotate the nails so that both the head and point lie on the tabel surface...

Zhann ( ) posted Wed, 23 October 2002 at 11:16 PM

Nails look like they're smack dab on the wood to me, the shadows are open towards the head and taper to right under the tips...but the hammer does look...ummm...not grounded, is it the lighting that does that? maybe only one direction with hard shadows and the other direction as fill light with soft shadows...just a thought

Bryce Forum Coordinator....

Vision is the Art of seeing things invisible...

tjohn ( ) posted Thu, 24 October 2002 at 7:55 AM

Just put up a new version of this pic in the forum. I had carefully placed the first nail in the Front view so it was sitting against the floor with the rim of the head and the rim of the point flush against the floor. Then I duplicated and moved the copies with the Edit Icons so none of them changed position relative to the floor. Ditto on the hammer, as well. Perhaps it is the double shadow causing it. I've posted a new version with only one shadow of this pic if you're interested.

This is not my "second childhood". I'm not finished with the first one yet.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

"I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather....not screaming in terror like the passengers on his bus." - Jack Handy

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.