Wed, Sep 18, 1:00 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: UV Mapping sucks right Now can anyone help me

Dark_Raven ( ) posted Thu, 24 October 2002 at 12:14 AM ยท edited Wed, 18 September 2024 at 12:48 PM

file_28728.jpg

Im trying to remap this coffin prop, I tried UV mapping the first attempt I export the prop as an obh file, then loaded the file in UV Mapping then selected new texture map and tried it planer, and no success, then I did it again trying box and got similar results, when I go to apply the texture map in poser the template appears on the prop like shown in the image included with this post, can anyone please tell me what Im doing wrong? Thanks Dark_Raven

thebert ( ) posted Thu, 24 October 2002 at 12:26 AM

You need to save model with the map. Can you tell me the UV Mapping program you are using. In UVMapper You open the model. Pick you type of map (planer, box, ..). Then save the model and save the template. thebert

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.

shadowcat ( ) posted Thu, 24 October 2002 at 12:32 AM

are you deleting the .rsr?

Dark_Raven ( ) posted Thu, 24 October 2002 at 12:55 AM

Well im using UV Mapper by steve cox, as far as saving the image with map do you mean after I load it in uv mapping and im assuming I need to selct box since that is what the coffin is a deformed box do you mean save the model from uv mapping then save the map? sorry im very new at trying to make my own textures so please bear with me Dark_Raven

shadowcat ( ) posted Thu, 24 October 2002 at 1:06 AM
  1. take .obj into UVmapper 2. re-map (so far so good, you've done that) 3. save the model (re-name it, so you are sure to have the right one) 4. save the map (you've also done this) 5. import new .obj 6. test the new .obj by applying the template (as you've already done)

SAMS3D ( ) posted Thu, 24 October 2002 at 4:16 AM

Yes, do what shadowcat says and don't forget to delete the .rsr that was created when you first placed your object into Poser....Sharen Don't worry when you place your object into Poser again it will create another one. Sharen

brycetech ( ) posted Thu, 24 October 2002 at 4:42 AM

actually, tho shadowcats answer is mostly correct, there is an oversight in it that makes mapping uv's a real pain in the arse. when you use box mapping on an object such as indicated above, you have inside and outside normals. That is, the normals on the inside of the box point in..and those on the outside point out. notice that the normals of the box on the inside left, also point the same way as those on the outside right. Uv mapper draws the map based on the way the normals are on the model. this means that the exact same map will be applied to both of these areas, as will it be to the inside right/outside left, outside right/inside left, outside front/inside back, inside front/outside back...etc does that make sense? anyhow this will also be reflected in your coffin's texture. So if you want the inside of the coffin to have one texture, and the outside to have another, it requires more than just a simple "box" mapping. If you (or others) want/need more information on this just let me know and I'll explain further. :) BT

brycetech ( ) posted Thu, 24 October 2002 at 4:45 AM

ps..it looks like the walls of your model is made of the same previously uv mapped cube, simply repositioned/resized/rotated differently to make the model. this is an entirely DIFFERENT kind of uv mapping, much more explanation is required if this is what you have done. If so, let me know and I'll explain more. :) BT

ming ( ) posted Thu, 24 October 2002 at 8:13 PM

I've got all the mapping programs, and I never could get any of them to work ! Too stupid I guess.

Dark_Raven ( ) posted Fri, 25 October 2002 at 1:30 AM

Thanks guys for all your help I will give it a try and see what I come up with, im not to worried about the inside and outside parts cause basicly what im going to attempt to do is make this like a snow white casket where the main parts our clear but that is another question after i get the map done, all i really want to repaint is the edges give it a gold type color and make the trim look a little fancy...:-P as far making a glass type texture for the walls how should i go about that i know i can just make them white in poser then make the walls of the coffin trnsparent that part i tested and worked fine but I kinda of want to get a realistic glass reflective look, so do I just need to paint those areas like like a white then make them somewhat transparent map what is your advice on this? well im off to work on it I will let you all know how it turns out

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.