Wed, Sep 18, 11:36 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Work in Progress: New nail object : Opinion needed

tjohn ( ) posted Sat, 16 November 2002 at 8:48 PM · edited Sun, 04 August 2024 at 11:48 AM

file_31815.jpg

Some of you may recall a piece called the Carpenter where I was trying to get as realistic as possible. One of the things holding it back was the nails I made by grouping a cone and 2 cylinders. I made a new model by Booleaning a pyramid, 2 tori, 2 cylinders and a cube. I was using a real nail for reference, and finally got a pretty good chisel point on my model. Also I found that the real nail surface was rougher and less reflective than I thought. I think I'm close enough here to proceed to working on improving the hammer. There is one of my original nails at the top of this pic for reference. How do you like the new nails?

This is not my "second childhood". I'm not finished with the first one yet.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

"I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather....not screaming in terror like the passengers on his bus." - Jack Handy

tjohn ( ) posted Sat, 16 November 2002 at 8:50 PM

I also added a "shoulder" on the shaft, just under the head, like the real nail I was basing it on.

This is not my "second childhood". I'm not finished with the first one yet.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

"I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather....not screaming in terror like the passengers on his bus." - Jack Handy

hewsan ( ) posted Sat, 16 November 2002 at 9:29 PM

I like your nails - to me here in my neck of the woods, the older nail at top is more like the type i have used...
And i remember from the other post that you wished to stay just in Bryce for the work, but it seems that it was a lot of effort involved for the nail alone, let alone all the other objects.
If you think you would enjoy modeling - I'm partial to Rhino and you can download a fully operational version with 25 saves... The people that sell it seem to be good folk and if you are a student (or if you just know a student) can get an academic copy (exacttly the same as the commercial including the right to use for commercial projects - for under $200 - and new buyers will be elgible for a free upgrade to Rhino 3 expected anytime now)
Other modeling programs are out there - many free - and you don't have to jump through hoops for simpler models (Some things though - might make you have to scratch your head to figure out how to approach....... or at least i do....)
Look forward to seeing your reworking of the image.
best, hewsan

johnpenn ( ) posted Sun, 17 November 2002 at 12:40 PM

Nice nails, big improvement! Great job!

lsstrout ( ) posted Sun, 17 November 2002 at 9:24 PM

Excellent chisel effect. Good work. Lin

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.