Sun, Oct 6, 5:58 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: A little rant about guitar models.

Mosca ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 11:12 AM

Stevie Ray Vaughan's guitar tech told me once that Stevie could hear the difference between Ever-ready and Duracell batteries in his stomp-boxes. Who am I to say it ain't so?

Mosca ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 11:13 AM

C'mon--thsi is FUN. Isn't it?

synergyauto ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 11:25 AM

BTW, I gave SamTherapy that Washburn model, I'm anxious to see what he can do with it

Mosca ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 11:36 AM

"Although the weight of the wood isn't telling, the density is." If you have two identically milled guitar bodies, and one weighs more than the other, isn't the heavier one also the denser one? "A friend of mine once owned a pair of 1962 Fender Stratocasters. One had an alder body, the other had ash. In all other respects, such as hardware, neck and even strings, they were the same. They certainly sounded different and the tighter alder-bodied guitar sustained longer than the heavier ash guitar." Well, that's one guy's anecdote, but I'm not sure he knows what he's talking about. How does he know the necks were identical? Did he take them off and weigh them? Did both Strats have tremolos? A hard-tail setup sustains way better then those old Fender trems. If they did both have trems, did he weigh them? Fender outsourced all their metal casting and switched suppliers a lot. Were both nuts the same material and mass, filed the same way? Proper nut and saddle setup is one of the most crucial elements in getting the maximum sustain out of your guitar. And what about the pickups--in the early 60's, if I'm not mistaken, Fender still cranked them one at a time; there was a lot of variation one to the next--even in the manufacture and weight of the magnets. This seems like a more likely explanation than the mysterious properties of ash grown in a wet place vs. alder grown in a dry place.

BeatYourSoul ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 12:53 PM

Look, I'm not going on about this anymore. It is information gathered from other guitarists, luthiers, books, magazines, personal experience, and a knowledge of materials, physics, and acoustics. If it were only a myth that density adds sustain and different woods apply different tonal qualities to electric guitars, why do all of the manufacturers and all of the luthiers and many guitarists all go on about it? Are we all delusional? Nope. As for the weight. Obviously not. As was discussed in the one set of paragraphs, some wood is denser than others but lighter. I'll admit that most dense woods are heavier woods, but this is obviously not the case for all woods. The "guy" you are dissing is Melvyn Hiscock, author of "Making Your Own Electric Guitar" and guitar maker for over 25 years. Please read this from Amazon: Link to book and note the lousy rating (5 stars of 5) for his lack of knowledge. Let's agree to disagree and get back to modelling and oogling over synergyauto's beauty guitar model.

Mosca ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 1:40 PM

"Are we all delusional?" A little. That's my point. And I never said that greater body density doesn't enhance sustain--what I said initially was: "Body density does influence sustain, a little, but overall rigidity has a lot more effect in that department." Just so we both know what we're talking about, here's a definition of the word "density" from Yahoo's online Concise Britannica: "Mass of a unit volume of a material substance. It is calculated by dividing an object's mass by its volume. In the International System of Units, and depending on the units of measurement used, density can be expressed in grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm3) or kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m3)." By definition, the heavier of two objects of identical volume (two strat bodies, say) is the denser. I knew I'd heard that bogus anecdote before. I read the Hiscock book back in the mid '80s (used to sell it). It first came out at a time when there wasn't much published on the subject, and it's useful, especially in its discussion of woodworking and wiring. But it's not the be-all and end-all. Believe what you want to believe, by all means. And synergy--great work!

bikermouse ( ) posted Sat, 23 November 2002 at 8:03 AM

So Where could I find this stone guitar?

Mosca ( ) posted Sat, 23 November 2002 at 8:16 AM

Actually laughed out loud, bikermouse.

LSMR ( ) posted Wed, 11 December 2002 at 10:45 PM

file_32371.jpg

Howdy, Hmm, I really can't say that when I model I know what I'm doing. I used to do low poly modeling for fun, and the most I ever did was about 2000 polys for one object. Then I stopped modeling for about a year, and now I'm getting back into it. I don't really know ANYTHING about high poly modeling, so I'm basically winging it as I go. Trial and Error seems to teach me best. I've been working on a guitar model this last week or two. It's a knock off of an Ovation style guitar. I'm not really accurate with the the actual guitar. I'm just looking at a bunch of guitars and incorporating different features into one guitar. I guess it's not to bad so far for primative modeling skills, and not knowing what I'm doing. As you can see, I'm not near finished. I'm working on the head, and the neck right now. I tried working on the round back, but can't seem to figure it out, as my knowledge of nurbs is very limited, well almost nonexsistant, (if anyone knows a good tutorial, or can give me some hints [I have a spline cage modeled for it], please let me know). As you see, I still have lots left to do. I think I'm heading towards the right direction though. Thanks

LSMR ( ) posted Wed, 11 December 2002 at 10:47 PM

file_32372.jpg

Howdy, And another one for the ladies... Thanks

synergyauto ( ) posted Wed, 11 December 2002 at 10:48 PM

Looks like you have a real winner going here :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.