Sun, Oct 6, 6:00 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: A useful FREE app for space backgrounds and much more...

SamTherapy ( ) posted Fri, 29 November 2002 at 7:12 PM · edited Thu, 03 October 2024 at 3:41 AM

Attached Link: http://www.shatter.net/celestia

A fantastic astronomy program called Celestia is available from the posted link. Apologies if you already know about this. If not, check it out, it's good. :)

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

wheatpenny ( ) posted Fri, 29 November 2002 at 7:29 PM
Site Admin

Attached Link: http://ennui.shatters.net/celestia/

The correct URL is: http://ennui.shatters.net/celestia/

Jeff

Renderosity Senior Moderator

Hablo español

Ich spreche Deutsch

Je parle français

Mi parolas Esperanton. Ĉu vi?

SamTherapy ( ) posted Fri, 29 November 2002 at 7:34 PM

Sorry, MM - you're absolutely right. It's late here and I have flu, so I'm a little slipshod. :(

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

wheatpenny ( ) posted Fri, 29 November 2002 at 7:42 PM
Site Admin

well,when I saw your post i decided I wanted it bad enough to look for it in a search engine. I just now went and downloaded it. thanks for the info...

Jeff

Hablo español

Ich spreche Deutsch

Je parle français

Crescent ( ) posted Fri, 29 November 2002 at 8:18 PM

Looks cool. Thanks for the link. And if any modellers or programmers are hanging around, on the bottom of the FAQ it says: How can I contribute to Celestia? There's much to explore in Celestia, but it's nowhere near being complete. If you're a programmer and would like to contribute code to Celestia, you should sign up for a free SourceForge account. All source updates to Celestia are made through SourceForge's CVS server. The project page is here. If you've got 3D modeling skills, Celestia needs some high-quality models of spacecraft, as Viking, Voyager, Apollo, Giotto, and many others are still missing from Celestia's universe.

Charlie_Tuna ( ) posted Fri, 29 November 2002 at 11:14 PM

Don't work on mac os other than osx, don't have the clams for x(don't have the drive space either) :-( bummer

Why shouldn't speech be free? Very little of it is worth anything.

Patricia ( ) posted Sat, 30 November 2002 at 6:53 AM

Downloading as I type. Thank you for posting this link :)

CyberStretch ( ) posted Sat, 30 November 2002 at 9:10 AM

I installed Celestia and there is a wealth of information and add-ons regarding astronomy. I was messing with it last night and found some information I never knew about; like the NEA/NEO (Near Earth Asteriods/Near Earth Objects and the International scientists studying the potential for any impact scenarios that could prove to be hazardous to life on Earth. If for nothing else but the educational value, it is well worth the download. Thanks SamTherapy! PS: The models used are .3ds models and most of the textures are .png or .jpg images. I would bet that they could be imported into Poser and used as props as well.

EricofSD ( ) posted Sat, 30 November 2002 at 9:20 PM

Looks more interesting than starbits or universe. Thanks.

wheatpenny ( ) posted Sat, 30 November 2002 at 10:37 PM
Site Admin

I like the extrasolar planets

Jeff

Hablo español

Ich spreche Deutsch

Je parle français

maclean ( ) posted Sun, 01 December 2002 at 11:24 AM

Thanks a lot. It looks really cool. mac

Penguinisto ( ) posted Sun, 01 December 2002 at 12:01 PM

I've been using it for about a year now... it's kinda nice how it turns out. (my gallery has two images uploaded using a combination of Celestia and the GIMP.) Also, anyone who has my old Moon freebie backdrop will now know what proggie I used to get the renders. /P

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.