Fri, Sep 20, 8:37 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 6:55 am)

Subject: Poser MAC problems

zoku01 ( ) posted Mon, 16 December 2002 at 3:05 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 8:35 AM

I am having a frustrating time with Poser 4 on my Mac. When I go to render a picture(simple or elaborate) I get messages that it can find or read textures(even when everything is in its proper place), can't render shadow maps and my favorite, not enough memory(I gave it the 62464k in the minimum and preferred, I have 40GB on my hard drive). Sometimes the program just shuts off after I get these messages. Am I missing something? Doing something wrong? Please help.

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Mon, 16 December 2002 at 3:10 PM

Those messages and errors are normally just meaning not enough RAM ... you have 62 meg ram allocated to Poser and that isn't really enough if you are using a 25 meg vicki file and a 25 meg texture etc. The 40 GB hard drive just allows you to store all the stuff .. It really has no bearing on the memory. I would allocate at least 256 meg to Poser if you can. Personally I have about 800 meg allocated to poser on my Mac just so I never have to fiddle with stuff.

Mosca ( ) posted Mon, 16 December 2002 at 3:45 PM

Yep--gofmcb's right. Time to order another 512k of RAM.

Hiram ( ) posted Mon, 16 December 2002 at 3:55 PM

It's not a s good as real RAM but you can use some of the HD space as virtual memory. That will allow you to turn up the RAM allocated to poser. Works for me and I have a 4gb hard drive with only 160mb RAM; but I have virtual memory up to 500mb. Mosca, did you really mean to say 512"k"?

Mosca ( ) posted Mon, 16 December 2002 at 4:12 PM

Doh!

zoku01 ( ) posted Mon, 16 December 2002 at 4:33 PM

Thanks for everything everybody. I feel kinda dopey about the question now. I appreciate the help.

mizombie ( ) posted Mon, 16 December 2002 at 5:48 PM

zoku don't feel bad. i had the same problems earlier. Everyone here heled me the problems though. Mac ram is cheaper these days, so get as much as you can. Try over at www.crucial.com

dan whiteside ( ) posted Mon, 16 December 2002 at 7:45 PM

Just saw in the front of MacAddict that Crucial is selling 256MB RAM SDRAM for $32.39 plus free shipping.

mizombie ( ) posted Mon, 16 December 2002 at 7:48 PM

damn i wish i could put more in mine, unless someone knows how to add more than 2 gigs??

hauksdottir ( ) posted Mon, 16 December 2002 at 9:57 PM

When I first installed Vicky1, my Mac 8500/150 coughed up that message... and DAZ tech support said to give Poser 200 megs. No problems after that. :) With the G4 and higher res characters, I allot 400 megs. At least we Mac people can give our programs exactly what they need. Carolly

purplehayes ( ) posted Tue, 17 December 2002 at 2:54 AM

I remember using Poser 4 on a Performa 6200 (64 Mb ram, 8 Gb Hd, 75 mHz clock speed) as a beginning...it worked on very uncomplicated scenes, figures rendered well WITHOUT transmapped hair and the use of hi-res tex or hi-polygon models was prohibited... I also reduced the size of my textures via Photoshop to circa 900k for posette. And it took forever to render (frustrating my girlfriend who shared the 'puter and needed to use it for quite something else)...so, I sort of quit...I did no smash my cd, though... But...a friend of us, a REAL Mac convert, seeing us twiddle and dabble with old PC clones (that were enventually faster than the Performa), and wanting to keep us on the "good track", gave us a eMac loaded with a fair amount of memory (128 + 256 = 384 Mb)... I did not come back yet to enjoying and exploring Poser (exploring Macromedias MX studio is a long process and I have to define the content of that dang web site...not to mention there is more kinetic swedish chair massages to do for me nowadays), but I'm looking forward happily... Purplehayes

spratman ( ) posted Tue, 17 December 2002 at 9:50 AM

MacWarehouse has 512mb chips for $49 til the end of the year, I already got 2 for my early xmas and maxed out my G4!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.