Mon, Sep 23, 6:16 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 10:49 pm)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Please help.

BJsHaven ( ) posted Thu, 26 December 2002 at 10:39 AM ยท edited Mon, 23 September 2024 at 4:22 AM

Attached Link: http://www.bjshaven.com/

I am trying to make my own brushes in PS7. Could someone please tell me the step by step to do this? Don't know why I am having problems with this and I'd appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks so much. BJ

retrocity ( ) posted Thu, 26 December 2002 at 2:20 PM

BJ, not sure what the problem is...

Are you using the "define brush" option in the EDIT menu? Or are you clicking on the inverted arrow in the Brush Palette and selecting "New Brush"?

With the "Define Brush" method, you need to make sure the area around the shape/brush is transparent, otherwise you'll have white behind the brush shape.

method 1:
Use the pen tool or paint brush and create a shape you want to make into a brush. Make sure it's black (you need black for it to be opaque)
Select the shape (make sure the background is turned off)
Choose DEFINE BRUSH from the EDIT menu
Name your new brush
If you don't already have EXPANDED VIEW selected in the brush palette select it. This gives you the presets for the brush. Here you can set the Shape Dynamics, Texture, Color Dynamics...

method 2: Choose NEW BRUSH from the inverted arrow in the Brush Palette. This creates a duplicate of your last selected or active brush. Change your preset settings to reflect your desired effects. Make sure you rename this brush.

more later...
:)
retrocity

BJsHaven ( ) posted Thu, 26 December 2002 at 3:16 PM

Oh thanks so much. I don't know what I was doing wrong. I just want to make my own brushes and will try what you told me. Appreciate your info. BJ

Grimtwist ( ) posted Thu, 26 December 2002 at 3:24 PM

I really should get version 7 for my own well-being. I feel so....inferior. Like the time I had to use Windows 95 for a month.

So, now that you guys have version 7, do you think you could ever go back to version 6 if you had to?

dreamer101 ( ) posted Thu, 26 December 2002 at 5:59 PM

You can never go back. There is one feature they changed in Image Ready I don't care for but will put up with.

ladydawg ( ) posted Thu, 26 December 2002 at 6:20 PM

I have to admit...I love my PS7...but when it comes to hair...I take it back into PS 5.5 LE...For some reason the hair comes out alot better in there.....So for sanity purposes I keep both...

crrunchyfrog ( ) posted Thu, 26 December 2002 at 7:40 PM

I just got PS7 for Christmas and I must say that its my favourite present I got this year! The new brushes and textures are incredible! The only problem I have is I don't know where to start :D

Grimtwist ( ) posted Thu, 26 December 2002 at 9:56 PM

New textures? That's reason enough for me!

trick-art ( ) posted Tue, 31 December 2002 at 1:01 AM

I'm curious as to the reason anyone feels that the brushes work better in PS 5.5 than in PS7...the brush dynamics can easily be made to match 5.5's brushes. Still, I'd like to know a little more specifically what kind of custom brushes you're trying to make, what kind of effect you're really trying to achieve. It's difficult to nail a specific formula down as there are about 50 bazillion different possibilities with PS7's brush settings.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.