Fri, Sep 20, 8:23 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Modeling a rolled=up sleeping bag...

kelley ( ) posted Tue, 31 December 2002 at 8:07 PM ยท edited Mon, 09 September 2024 at 11:31 AM

file_38930.jpg

My character, Kidon, needs to be carrying a bedroll slung across his back. This is basically a cylinder but with a snail/spiral wrap at each end. When I try to use the Spiral Pre-set in the Spline Modeler, I get the above. Any suggestions? Basic intuition tells me that this should be pretty simple...and it's probably right under my nose, but I can't see it yet.

EtchASketch ( ) posted Tue, 31 December 2002 at 10:57 PM

file_38931.jpg

Create a rounded corner rectangle. 1.5 x .34 Apply spiral; Turns= 8 Length = 0 Dist to axis = 3.5 Scaling 100 Scaling 100 **** After spiral drag shape(1) down as shown in the image. This will create your basic shape. **** To finish it off; go to Select. Select Shape 1. Select create multiple. value = 20 Go to shape 22 EDIT ungroup *** Go to previous (21) Edit= UNgroup *** While still on shape 21 go to SECTIONS Create multiple.. add 20 *** Go to shape 47. (ungroup if it isn't) Edit the handles to create folds. Go to shape 46. (ungroup if it isn't) Edit the handles to create folds. ETC (Don't forget you can add points to the shapes to create more material folds, to avoid a static look)

I am a very unique person... Just like everyone else

EtchASketch ( ) posted Wed, 01 January 2003 at 12:16 PM

file_38932.jpg

EDIT: After creating your initial rectangle w/ rounded edges ..UNGROUP it and add points. This will increase your fold and creasing abilities later.

Change to Spiral;
Turns=5
Length = 0
Dist axis =3.5
Scale 100
Scale 0

Then Create multiple sections = 45

Edit the handles to create folds.

It can get a bit troubling selecting handles and sections. Carraras modeler is a bit limited with inability to lock items and change bezier handle colors etc.

bluetone ( ) posted Wed, 01 January 2003 at 1:28 PM

Try setting the modeler to "Only see selected" under the cross-section menu. Then you can chose "next" or "previous" to change which cross-section your working on. This makes it simpler to see what your editing, and wont effec tthe other cross-sections. By-the-by... great modeling! I want to put in on my back and go out into the woods. I'd like to see it after you texture it.

kelley ( ) posted Wed, 01 January 2003 at 2:42 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll try it out tonight.

EtchASketch ( ) posted Wed, 01 January 2003 at 6:44 PM

Would make a nice Cinnamon roll on a coffee table with the correct proportions. (A hint for those wanting to make more simple things for scene elements) Too bad shapes are apparently static in 2D space. To be able to move the vertices off their singular planes would be desireable. (Take the abrupt end of the roll for example. To be able to tug some of those vertices out would be nice.) good luck Kelly

kelley ( ) posted Thu, 02 January 2003 at 10:19 PM

file_38933.jpg

Thanks all!! EtchASketch: I got a wee bit lost right after dragging the box w/ handles downward to reveal the rolls. (After some experimentation, I played with the numbers some too] I went to the EDIT menu and found SELECT ALL. No SELECT. I tried the SELECT ALL. Nothing seemed to happen. After mulling that over for a while, I struck off on my own...took the shape into the Vertex Modeler and went from there.

The image above is the Bedroll slung under a Backpack. It's pretty close to what I had in mind. Needs a work on the cloth color and a good bump map under the patches. Backpack is an initial rough-cut only. Much more work needed here.

Nicholas86 ( ) posted Sat, 04 January 2003 at 9:27 AM

nice improv! looks good kelley!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.