Fri, Sep 20, 8:21 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 6:55 am)

Subject: Is there a difference between 3ds and 3dsMax.

Tashar59 ( ) posted Thu, 23 January 2003 at 6:26 AM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 8:18 AM

My dumb question for the month. Is there a difference or are they the same. Is there a utility that converts Max to something I can use, lwo, DXF, something I can use to convert to what I need? I don't have 3dsMax, so the dumb question. I have never thought about the dif till I started to model. Thank-you for your time. Tashar 59

_dodger ( ) posted Thu, 23 January 2003 at 7:22 AM

Poser can be used to convert between .3ds format and several others by importing and then exporting. It can't opan a .max scene file, though.

Tashar59 ( ) posted Thu, 23 January 2003 at 7:31 AM

That is what I need to know, is there a utility that converts a max to anything else. Tashar 59

_dodger ( ) posted Thu, 23 January 2003 at 7:36 AM

Nothing but Max, as far as I know, can convert a Max scene file. There's a thread down below on importing that mentions some utility -- don't know if that will open a Max file or not.

Jackson ( ) posted Thu, 23 January 2003 at 7:39 AM

Deep Exploration from 3d Hemisphere can do it but you need Max installed for it to work.

Tashar59 ( ) posted Thu, 23 January 2003 at 7:59 AM

That a drag. I found a couple of great meshs that I was hoping to use. I have Amapi4 and there is a max screen that pops up, but it may need Max installed for that too. I'll just have to experiment with it and see. Thank-you for the help. Tashar 59

tasquah ( ) posted Thu, 23 January 2003 at 8:54 AM

beryld : theres allot of people at Renerosity who have max that will convert them for you. It depends on what version of max the model is though.

Huolong ( ) posted Thu, 23 January 2003 at 1:04 PM

Some 3ds max objects can be converted by Deep Exploration or imported into TrueSpace. About twenty percent of the time, it works ok. In TrueSpace, sometimes the parts are moved around, but the heirarchy is still there and can be moved back in place. The best bet is to find a close and dear personal friend here who will convert them for you.

Gordon

rodzilla ( ) posted Thu, 23 January 2003 at 3:17 PM

what do you need converted?it's free right?where do i download it from?what format do you need it in?and where do you want it sent too?

Charlie_Tuna ( ) posted Thu, 23 January 2003 at 5:48 PM

For the mac users it's quite simple, we can use 3ds and can't use Max

Why shouldn't speech be free? Very little of it is worth anything.

Tashar59 ( ) posted Thu, 23 January 2003 at 6:11 PM

rodzilla- Thank-you, I will IM you. Big THANK_YOU to everyone for the help. Tashar 59

Phantast ( ) posted Fri, 24 January 2003 at 4:32 PM

What IS the point of such a restricted file format?

rodzilla ( ) posted Fri, 24 January 2003 at 11:24 PM

it's merely 3dsmax's own internal format,almost every program has one,it's just like poser's pz3 files.a .max file is a scene file that contains the mesh[s],lights,mats and rendering settings...there's really nothing any more restrictive about it than any other file format. how many progs can open .pz3 files?only poser can actually create or modify them,3dsmax's .max files are the same thing...they are for max only,allthough if the original artist wants to make it accessible to all then they should learn to export to something everyone can use like .3ds mesh files...it ain't the prog or the the file format but the people using it

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.