Fri, Oct 4, 4:22 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 04 8:39 am)

Subject: 3D from 2D

momodot ( ) posted Mon, 08 May 2000 at 10:11 AM · edited Fri, 04 October 2024 at 4:20 PM

Hi. Is there software that creats 3d objects from grayscale bitmaps? I seem to remeber a photoshop plugin or something a few years back. Thanks.

bast ( ) posted Mon, 08 May 2000 at 10:19 AM

A very long time ago there was a photoshop plugin that took greyscale images and converted them to DXF height maps. Not alot of good for anyone save landscape modelers. I can't recall its name. Several programs include this functionality now, Animatek Worldbuilder, (I believe Bryce does too), Vistapro (the cheapest of the ones I list) and your high end 3d programs such as 3d studio max can take a greyscale image and create actual geometry through the displacement map feature. Look for something saying it works with DEM data, displacement mapping, etc.

Nance ( ) posted Mon, 08 May 2000 at 10:36 AM

Sounds like may be looking for "TerraGen" shareware. Sorry, misplaced the link but someone here will have it.

ScottK ( ) posted Mon, 08 May 2000 at 11:42 AM

The terrain editor in Bryce does offer this functionality. Many other 3d programs offer a "height map" option or extrusion option that does this as well. I don't remember a Photoshop plugin for this, but if you post in the Photoshop forum, someone there might know. -sk

steveshanks ( ) posted Mon, 08 May 2000 at 12:59 PM

Some apps call them relief maps I think max may do them all versions of Cinema 4D will and Bryce of course......Steve

steveshanks ( ) posted Mon, 08 May 2000 at 12:59 PM

Some apps call them relief maps I think max may do them all versions of Cinema 4D will and Bryce of course......Steve

willf ( ) posted Mon, 08 May 2000 at 1:38 PM

I believe you are looking for CyberMesh plug-in for Photoshope. This will create Wavefront,DXF or other 3D formats from grayscale images. Looks cool for $49.00. I've tried the demo but can't save objects. Ypu can find it at Puffin Designs:http://www.puffindesigns.com/store/index.html

momodot ( ) posted Tue, 09 May 2000 at 5:20 PM

Cybermesh... that is what I wanted. Now as soon as I can scrape together $49 I'm in buisness (I hate the presumption people have that anyone with a computer and a modem neccessarily has all kinds of money just lying around!). What I want to do is make mask props for my Poser characters to wear... I don't have a modeling program or the skills either probably, so if I could paint in grayscale and generate a mask .obj from that I am happy happy happy. I tried making a disk prop, exporting it as an .obj, mapping it with UVmapper, and then applying a bump mask to it back in Poser but the effect was too flat still. Thank you :)

willf ( ) posted Wed, 10 May 2000 at 2:19 PM

Also, there are a couple of MAC OS Freeware/Shareware apps that can convert a grayscale image into DXF and/or3Dmf file formats. They don't do any spherical deformations but the price is right. One is Terrainman 2.0 at: http://hyperarchive.lcs.mit.edu/HyperArchive/Archive/cmp/terrain-man-20.hqx The other is LandSculptor3D 2.0 at: ftp://ftp2.amug.org/amug-files/art/art-tools/landsculptor3d-2.0.sit.hqx If you want a vertix/spline modeler ypu can try Patchdance at: http://www.patchdance.com/. It dosn't import images but you can do your own models (not easy to work though). There are a few other inexpensive (or free) modelers but I don't have time to track right now. Look for PovRay, BlobSculptor, Vision3D...

CharlieBrown ( ) posted Wed, 10 May 2000 at 2:48 PM

THere are also some mask props available at the various props sites; you can also (allegedly; I've had trouble getting this to work, but others have had GREAT success with it) create simple masks using the Grouping Tool in Poser as well.

momodot ( ) posted Wed, 10 May 2000 at 3:21 PM

I'll have to try morphing then exporting a face group and then applying a bump map to it, since I would love to have "portrait" masks for this project. Thank you. Also, I need to try taking the face group to Amphorium since I just read it has "Height Shop" which distorts on the basis of the luminance of a bit map. Still think Cybermesh is the thing for me when I'm able, though reviews of it all make noise about the frighteningly large files it produces. Wish they still had the demo of it out. People have sold more stuff to me by hooking me on the demo than any other way. Is there anything else out for PC like Amorphium in not being vertice/polygon based as far as the user interface? Anyone no of good stuff out there actually done with Amorphium or is it more of an executive toy type program? I do know Traveler uses/used it for making morph targets but is there any pure Amorphium art out there?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.