Sat, Oct 5, 12:44 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 11:52 am)

Subject: Losing Faith...

MiKo0 ( ) posted Sun, 09 February 2003 at 12:25 PM · edited Sat, 05 October 2024 at 12:44 PM

file_45278.jpg

Ok I'm down, had a fight with girlfriend last night, I made an image up earlier, listening to For Martha by the Smashing Pumpkins. I dedicated the image to her, full of upset and anguish I struggled on to make it, But I feel like having a little rant, if you can call it that. I've been a member here for a while now, and I've so far had some great feedback on the work I do, but as of late, all the feedback has dropped, but yet I feel I'm doing no wrong in my images. If anything I'm getting better. I've spent hours lately, working solid on producing images, that to me, are some of the best work I've done, but yet, I've had better feedback on images that I feel aren't as good. It's weird. I been thinking lately, that maybe, this posering game just isn't for me. It's the feedback that drives me on, and makes me work at it.It's my inspiration, Hell it absorbs my life, but lately, I just don't feel, that it's worth it. I love my work, and I want others to love it too. I guess it just doesn't do that any more Oh hell I'm gonna shut up now anyway..Latest pic is here if you care to look. *shrugs* This is a great place, many talented artists :) It just might not be for me anymore It's been great, that's all I can say! Warmest regards to everyone... Mike

paintedflats ( ) posted Sun, 09 February 2003 at 12:35 PM

Most of the feedback around here is junk anyway. Take what you can get and look at the one who do say something as actually having something to say. The rest? Flip em off. This one? Pretty sweet. Dunno about the stuff around the eyes, but cool anyway.

GraphicFoxx ( ) posted Sun, 09 February 2003 at 12:43 PM

I think the tears are great. Very nice image man. I've noticed that about feedback as well. I only have two images up here, and the 'simple' one I did got more feedback than the detailed one I spent a couple days on. Just odd. But I'd say don't stop. I stopped with artwork a couple years ago because I had no time due to my job. It's taken me quite a while to get back into it, and now I regret stopping in the first place. Anyway, good work man :)

MiKo0 ( ) posted Sun, 09 February 2003 at 1:05 PM

Thanks guys :) So i'm not alone in my feelings then. It's not the "great image" comments i'm after, it's the construtive comments good or bad I'd rather have. But alas, they don't appear, if people actually bother to look that is.. I really don't wanna stop doing this,Art is something I've always done.CG art is something new, i'm trying out. I stopped a whie ago myself, and it took me a while to get back in, i'm in again, but falling out.. Thanks for the feedback..As you know, it helps :)

chanson ( ) posted Sun, 09 February 2003 at 1:08 PM

Great Pic! I've had times that I left posering and came back. Sometimes we all need to focus elsewhere for a while. That said, I would also encourage you to find your inspiration for your art from within, not based on praise (or otherwise) from others. I am happy with one of my peices if it pleases me. To that end, I think it's a good idea if we have our own personal gallery of images that may not ever be posted outside - pictures that are just for us. Just some musing.

MiKo0 ( ) posted Sun, 09 February 2003 at 1:25 PM

Ok my last post on this...I do get my inspiration from elsewhere. Everything in life inspires me..If i'm on a train and I pass some countryside say..I find myself painting pictures in my mind.If I hear a piece of music that touches me, that inspires me. It's not the praise that inspires me, that just helps. If you know what I mean. it's always nice to know your work is apreciated. Yes, an artist paints for him/herself first, as a way of expession, but to know people can absorb your feeling from the pictures you paint, is something that makes you feel proud. Another note, Just been to the gallery again..38viewings, that's just laughable : and only one TRUE HEARTFELT COMMENT

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sun, 09 February 2003 at 1:43 PM

Who do you create your pictures for, your true creative nature, or an audience? If you're creating for your creativity, accept it and keep on creating. If you're creating for an audience, change what you do. If you fall between the two - well, you're pretty much screwed. :) My advice is - just do it for yourself and f*ck the negativity.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

dialyn ( ) posted Sun, 09 February 2003 at 1:46 PM

People may feel touched by your graphic and yet not feel they have anything worthwhile to say about it. You can't assume from silence that no one was touched by it. If you're after big numbers of views, we all know how to have instant popularity. Is that what you want? I'd rather have a small number of really interested views than a large number of droolers. Perhaps you're just burnt out and need a new challenge. Maybe you need a rest. Maybe you need a different direction. Or maybe you need to reconnect with why you do the art in the first place. It isn't about the viewers...you don't have control over them. It's about what you do have control over. Just a thought.

MiKo0 ( ) posted Sun, 09 February 2003 at 1:55 PM

Burnt out.....I think I am....I'm so screwed up at the moment :S I don't know what I'm saying any more....arrrrrrrrrr

genny ( ) posted Sun, 09 February 2003 at 1:55 PM

Hi MikoO, I have to agree with Chanson, you must find it from within. (: I am not a great artist, probably, not even a good one, but I just love doing this when I have the time. It is my theraphy, a place, where I can be away from the world, the problems with my job or my home-life, where I can just create what-ever I want, and take a break from what's going on around me. This is my Fun, as I work nights,have a 6 day work week, with rotating days off, working for a company that has declared "bankrupsy" and not knowing from day to day, who will be the next to go? It is my escape, my release, and from the picture you posted above, I can see it helps you that way too.(: I do visit the gallery from time to time, but, frankly, I don't have that kind of time to visit as often as I would like to. Be happy that at "least" someone did "take a look", at your picture.........and maybe, they didn't leave a comment because their time is limited, and they couldn't (: Your "thumb" of the image was enough from them to view the image...........that does say something in, it-self. (: Take care, and cheer up, things always look brighter when you are willing to look at it, in another angle. Genny

lululee ( ) posted Sun, 09 February 2003 at 1:57 PM
Online Now!

I just went to your gallery and posted a "truly heartfelt comment." I like your work. Some of your other images have good comments on them. I find things fluctuate in the gallery. sometimes poeple make lots of comments and other times people just don't have as much time. Someone once said "I don't make art becuase I want to. I make Art because I HAVE TO. Hang in their!

queri ( ) posted Sun, 09 February 2003 at 2:00 PM

I've been here a year and am just beginning to get the number of comments you consistently get. In my opinion you are doing well. I had expected to see a gallery with scattered comments and vast amounts of empty slots. Instead you generally get more comments than I do and I'm not losing faith--- well, maybe with Poser 5 but not with my work. You've already got an audience and a following, I don't understand what you want. If you're looking for individual help with certain areas of posing go tot PoserPros and ask for it-- it's not a great place to get feedback on pictures just as pictures, but if you want feedback on postwork or composition or lighting, you can get it there. Please understand if you think I'm being cruel here, because I've sort of been where I suspect you are and it's Judy Garland syndrome, wanting more applause. I think many of us go through it, and, as I say, it's not meant to be cruel but it is something to go through and get rid of. By the way, the best possible way to get more comments is to comment on other people's work consistently. I'm hoping you don't give up because you do beautiful work-- I haven't been trolling the galleries lately so I haven't seen most of them and they are a treat. Emily

TCSP ( ) posted Sun, 09 February 2003 at 2:11 PM

why do you work in poser? make the pictures you make... if your focused towards a point where your 'skill' in doing that (and more) will sustain your ability to 'do that' and have fun at it... then its an investment and time well spent... (but alot of hard work) but if all you did was spend time working in a program just to make pictures to post in forums and gallerys, you should move on or at least cut back a little. if you cant find the drive to continue to persue your artistry through a little rough waters... then drop it all-together now. stop wasting your time and start focusing on something more productive, like maybe your life... and the world around you. **** im sorry you had a fight with your gf... it happenes... all you can hope is that it works out in the end and you learn from it. dont go to bed angry, have some make-up 'whatever' and all will be well... ~;)

MiKo0 ( ) posted Sun, 09 February 2003 at 2:15 PM

Geeeeeeeeeeeeez Thanks so much guys/gals. Okay hell my minds in a spin now.I really don't know what to say to the words you've all just written. I love this place and the work I do, and I for one don't wanna quit. It's not a case of having the most commented pic, as i know myself, you throw in a nekid vic and you're onto a winner..true?.. This fight i've had with Laura kinda messed me up a bit,maybe i was putting my life else where, other than her. But she loves my art, and always encourages me to do more.If anything she's one of my biggest inspirations. I know a few people generally follow my work,i know now maybe more than i knew apreciate the work I do. I make my images out of expression, if i'm touched by something, then it comes out in my work, as you can see from my latest. I really put everything into this image, to get across the pain and worry i felt. I guess I just need to take some time out, find myself again, and clear my head. Looking back at this post, it seems i'm crying out for attention, when I'm not.I just tried to get across, how I was feeling,... so if i gave you the impression I'm after the "Judy Garland syndrome"..sorry...but that's not what I'm after.. All i want is to make people happy with my art..that's all Man I need a break..is going insane mail box has been going mad. All I can say is THANKS! your kind, heartfelt words have really helped me understand, helped me tnrough this bad patch i've hit.. It's good to know, you have friends and support where you least expect it

compiler ( ) posted Sun, 09 February 2003 at 2:17 PM

Hi Mike, When I look at the pictures you do I think it would be a loss for the community if you'd quit. Your work is getting really impressive. I specially like "relax", "warrior of the wind" and "good to be home", while "for Laura" is my preferd work. I also like a lot the face of the girl in your "perfect ten" series. Your latest pic is great, because it conveys an emotion. You have reached the point that the onlooker doesn't see the technique anymore, just the emotion. In my opinion, you have reached the point where you truly are an artist. Unfortunately, a good number of people giving feedback in the galleries are more attracted by technique, or by nudity (or they are part of some group of mutual admiration, they don't pay attention to other people's work outside their group). But there are people round here from whom a single "good picture" is worth a thousand others' superlatives appreciations. As for me, since I did not reach you mastery (and I don't expect I ever will), I stopped posting pics in the gallery months ago. The only ones I post are related to talks I had here in the forum. When I want feedback, I turn to my wife, kids, and friends. I hope your morale will raise at that you'll overcome your present problems. Compiler PS : I use PSP 7 myself, and I'd be very interested in your technique for post working rain...

gtrdon ( ) posted Sun, 09 February 2003 at 2:21 PM

I guess I am one of guilty ones who see great stuff and I don't always comment or sign in people guest registers when I visit peoples sites..Lazinous and being in a hurry. Mostly I feel that my talents artisically are not good enough to make constructive comment on other peoples work but that does not mean I don't visually appreciate it Your work is very excellent. Depression sucks but it seems that some of the best art comes from people when they are feeling that way. I feel that art is excellent therapy because it allows us to channel self expression to others

MiKo0 ( ) posted Sun, 09 February 2003 at 2:25 PM

Ok please give me sometime, and i will write a proper post..Things are hectic at the mo. And I can't cope lol Bear with me please :)

dialyn ( ) posted Sun, 09 February 2003 at 2:47 PM

MiKo0 ... one thing I've learned in 50 plus years is you shouldn't make decisions when your emotions are high and strong. Your feelings about your art are all mixed up with your feelings about a person. I've burned manuscripts because I got upset. I wanted to be a novelist and I burned my manuscripts so now I'm a want-a-be who has a pile of ashes to look at. And, yeah, I can write again...but it won't replace what I destroyed in those pre-computer days (no back up). Just as other friendship you have won't replace this one. Just as future art won't be the same as what you've done to date. But ride out the feelings and just might find yourself feeling a whole lot different in a few days than you do right now. It's always nice to get applause, but I don't think all the applause in the world is going to solve the mysteries of the heart. Take care.

ladynimue ( ) posted Sun, 09 February 2003 at 3:39 PM

Well, just for the record...
I really can see a Huge reduction in gallery comments over the past year.
I truly believe this is due to the HUGE amounts of daily Gallery Uploads. Especially in the Poser Galleries :)

I know that I use to spend my Sunday mornings visiting the All The Galleries and leaving comments. Now, "just viewing" a days worth of Poser Gallery postings is a challenge.

So, please do not feel like people are not interested in your works or that you are lacking creativity because of a lack of gallery comments.

I personally love the above image. I find it very unique in style and its ability to evoke emotion.

So keep your chin up and keep postings your images :)

Also, a special "thank you" to all the Poser Forum Members who so willing offered constructive comments. This is very appreciated by all :)

ladynimue

SAMS3D ( ) posted Sun, 09 February 2003 at 4:09 PM

You should go to Laura, hold her hand, tell her you love her, and take a walk. Clear your mind. If she is your biggest admirer as you say, then you admire her back more. Then you art will grow even bigger. Sharen

Lorraine ( ) posted Sun, 09 February 2003 at 4:10 PM

Well it is the ebb and flow of creative energy that we respond to, and in terms of encouragement the hardest thing I have had to realize is that although I may have an internal vision, others may not be interested in that vision. They may find something abstract that attracts their comments....or they react to images that are of a particular style that they prefer. IT is a fine balance between what you create because of a complex set of personal drives and the viewer's expectation. I often think wow I like this and feel I have missed the mark when there are no big wows forthcoming.....boo hoo I think to myself...boo hoo!...what is wrong with the image.... and the answer is most likely nothing really, the image just is not intersting to others who are viewing our work. It is not something that jumped out at them. Feedback is just that, feedback; and like it or not silence ....is feedback of a sort.... the volume of images sometimes makes it difficult to keep up on comments, I remember being able to comment on the majority of the images, but lately there are so many I can barely keep up with comments on the ones that "jump out at me". How can I be critical of others when I cannot keep up myself?... You already know how YOU feel about the image, that is what drives you to create, your feelings....you are one audience....the viewers are another audience...your work shows talent and a strong style...this particular one is stark and although it expresses emotion, the pov is not the best way to get the emotion across, lighting and a context such as your verse show YOUR focus but I lack the emotional background to see what you see....hope this helps...I like the image and the tear effect is outstanding....I hope to see more of your expression through art....

ladynimue ( ) posted Sun, 09 February 2003 at 4:11 PM

Very thoughtful and well put Sharen :) ladynimue

MiKo0 ( ) posted Sun, 09 February 2003 at 4:16 PM

ok I've sat done and done some thinking.. First of all, I have to THANK YOU ALL, for your constructive words, advice, and friendliness. This is what makes this community what it is! Secondly..For those who think I only ranted, to get peoples attention, I didn't. As you some of you may, or may or not know. When things play on your mind, or you get mixed up in a torent of emotion. You have to release what's within. That's all I did. Maybe it was the wrong way, gave the impression I wanted 'The applause'. But that's not what I want. I've worked so hard lately,really trying to get to grips with Poser, and my postwork technique, and I've been trying to reach past those boundries, and push my work to another level of creativity. To produce an image that not only blows me away, and leaves me looking at it, feeling every ounce of emotion and feeling that went into it, but for others to feel it too. To give them an insight into my thinking and feeling at that time. As Compiler put it, so well I might add "But there are people round here from whom a single "good picture" is worth a thousand others' " I will be the first to admit, I've had a few problems, personnal matters. And that's affected my way of thinking and percieving. It's influenced my work yes. But in a good way. I got into thinking, what was I was doing was wrong. That maybe what I had done before, was better than what I was doing now. In myself I knew by looking at my latest work, how much my painting is coming on, that I'm pushing myself harder, maybe too hard right now, and I'm burning myself out in the process, What with everything else that's going on around me. I will apologise for ranting, and I guess now, i've attached some sort of stigma to myself of being "the guy who cried about no getting comments" That will probably stick me, who knows? But for those people that do follow my work, and give me constructive feedback on them. Thank You. I hope you will continue to follow my works, and stick with me as keep on pushing the boundries. I think the best thing for me to do right now. Is take a few days out, clear my mind, sort out my problems, then come back and continue to do what I love doing.. ART! It's something I've always loved, right from being a child. It's me. It's who I truely am.Art for me is a way of expressing my trueself.What I think, what I feel. It's an escape, and place where I can let my imagination run wild, and create the visions I see in my mind. Once again thank you, you've really helped make my mind a little clearer. And made me realise, that my art does influence people, does make people sit back and think, and feel. And feel what I felt when I created them. Sorry for the long rant.. Warmest regards, and heartfelt thanks Mike PS: I'll be sticking around :)

ladynimue ( ) posted Sun, 09 February 2003 at 4:18 PM

Everyone has really put some great thought into their feedback. Thank you all so much for taking the time to express your feelings and thoughts. Sincerely, ladynimue

MiKo0 ( ) posted Sun, 09 February 2003 at 4:21 PM

Quick comment....Thanks Lorraine. That really helps :) Comments like that help me understand better, how I can make my work better, put the wrongs right. while I'm out, I think i'll play around with it, try and find a better POV Thanks :)

ladynimue ( ) posted Sun, 09 February 2003 at 4:21 PM

Great news Mike... Thanks for letting us get to know you better. Looking forward to your next posting :) ladynimue

Maz ( ) posted Sun, 09 February 2003 at 5:48 PM

OK, constructive criticism you want: constructive criticism you got. 1. Running mascara - excellent 2. Nose - not so good. Nobody has a nose that smooth. 3. Eyes - they seem excessively upturned. 4. Eyes again - not happy with the reflections. The reflections seem to be coming from all over the place. Usually you find one or two highlights dominate in eye reflections. Also, being convex, eyes act as reducing mirrors so you should be able to see a reflection of a whole scene (if you look really hard). 5. Nostrils - too dark. It seems as if you're looking into a dark cavern that has no back surface. 6. Overall effect - very pleasing. Regards, Maz

Poppi ( ) posted Sun, 09 February 2003 at 6:43 PM

constructive criticism...nice texture, although, in places the bump map is too strong. clumpy mascara...excellent touch...how'd ya do that? very nice tears. what i would do, if it were my image...would be to reflect a tragic scene right on the eyes. maybe in postwork. i really like the eyebrow and lip textures. as for lack of comments? well, the gallery is so huge, most of us with good intentions don't get as much time to comment as we used to. a few years back, i used to try and take one day, and, go through the gallery leaving comments on what i enjoyed. now, well, it is just too vast. and, be thankful you did not get trolled while you were down. it's happened to me. :*(

Philywebrider ( ) posted Sun, 09 February 2003 at 7:03 PM

Getting comments can be a problem, but do the people who want comments, give comments? Does everyone who would like comments on thier work, go out of thier way to comment on a regular basis on the other art work in the gallery?

Philywebrider ( ) posted Sun, 09 February 2003 at 7:08 PM

If it is an overwhelming project to comment on a regular basis in the gallery, then you answered the question as to why you don't get a lot of comments.

Philywebrider ( ) posted Sun, 09 February 2003 at 7:10 PM

The Poser gallery alone has 2600 images and more added daily.

Poppi ( ) posted Sun, 09 February 2003 at 7:35 PM

i comment. and, i vote. sometimes, only a few each evening. and, i am on a dial up modem.

Philywebrider ( ) posted Sun, 09 February 2003 at 8:27 PM

Sorry Poppi, I didn't mean you or others don't try, but there are so many images. I just mean so many really great images get overlooked in the crowd. Lack of comments isn't a direct reflection the quality of the work.

chanson ( ) posted Sun, 09 February 2003 at 8:34 PM

Interesting... sometimes the deepest emotion generates better art. In this case it was deep emotion that generated a truly interesting discussion about what drives us to create. Thanks to all. MiKoO, don't feel bad at all. You expressed your feelings to a community and the community reached out to you. Not a thing wrong with that!

bijouchat ( ) posted Mon, 10 February 2003 at 12:43 AM

yeah, the Poser gallery is really large, sometimes I get more comments when I post work in other galleries, especially Mixed Media. Since so much of my work qualifies for the Mixed media badge (I often scan in handdrawn work, or paint parts in photoshop from scratch and do compositing, or render in another app than Poser) ... this allows me to post Poser work sometimes in the Mixed media gallery. And its easier to comment and keep up with the Mixed media gallery than it is to keep up with the Poser gallery. I try to comment work I like that I see on passing, if I see someone asking for a constructive crit for improvement, I'll give it too. (note: constructive, meaning, don't bash the artists genre of choice, just crit the actual artwork in a positive way so the artist can improve) Commenting other peoples work is a good way to get them to go look at yours and leave a comment, btw. This is because the galleries are SO BIG that its easier to comment people that comment me regularly, by looking them up directly. I will even go look at artwork if someone sends me an IM and a URL to look at a piece and critique it. The other critiques to this are spot on and constructive here, so nothing more to add to them. Its a nice work :)

FishNose ( ) posted Mon, 10 February 2003 at 2:56 AM

Mike! Remember that the people you find here at R'osity (or any other forum) are not people you have chosen to spend time with - like your personal friends - it's more like the people on the bus, just anybody. See my point? You can't really expect understanding or common views or common taste from them. On the other hand, since there are so many people here, you're bound to find some people who you can really get along with :o) As to your image - very nice indeed. The tears are brilliantly done. However, on the other hand the very 'hard' eyes (probably intentionally so) don't mix well with something s 'soft' as tears, which for me most often signal sadnes or regret, sorrow or longing. All 'soft' values. The eyes may only look 'hard' because the image is B&W, I don't know. About commenting work in the galleries - I have to be really inspired by a thumb to bother looking at the image at all, since there are so many housands of images. One has to shout to be heard. And about your fight with your girlfriend - all I can say is, make it up asap, regardless of who is right or wrong, who said or did what. That's the best rule there is in relationships! Pride and principle are worthless, love is worth all. :] Fish

FishNose ( ) posted Mon, 10 February 2003 at 2:59 AM

And by the way, about posting images and feedback - it took me 3 years of Posering before I dared to show an image to anyone else, let alone put them in a gallery LOL :] Fish

Philywebrider ( ) posted Mon, 10 February 2003 at 3:13 AM

Feburary 9, 2003 had 204 images posted in that one day.

MiKo0 ( ) posted Mon, 10 February 2003 at 12:27 PM

ok..hehe I better make one more quick post Maz Thanks..that feedback was great. Eyes::there is actually a scene I placed in them, i know it's kinda hard to make out, but it was a picture of a just married couple sharing a kiss. I wasn't sure if anyone would see it, or how it would turn out. I guess looking at it now, it does give the effect of harsh eyes, ie too much reflection. It's something I can come back to and have another go at. The nose:: that's how i came out in the render, once i'd finished postworking, that was something I overlooked, my mistake, as I thought the darkness didn't look quite right myself. I think I over smoothed the nose too : The bump map:: I just left that as if, maybe I could tweak it in the places, try reducing it a little POV:: That's something I think could be changed. Overall, I like it, but I'd like to work this image a bit more, maybe the emotion is quite there as it was to start out with, but it's something I want to improve in and get it to a point were it really converys what I set out to get across All I can say is thanks for the support, the comments and of course the feedback. But above all, for not knocking me down for expressing an opinion :) Regards.. Mike

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.