Sat, Sep 21, 2:43 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 1:47 am)

Subject: Poser 4.03 not saving user preferences

classic ( ) posted Wed, 12 February 2003 at 2:18 AM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 2:43 AM

This is a minor annoyance that I would love to fix. Each time I launch Poser I have to rearrange the elements on the interface. Thankfully Poser does save most of my user preferences, but things like the position of my work window, UI dots, and the Document Display style always need to be positioned.

Does anyone know of a fix for this? Of course, I did try: Edit > Poser Preferences > Set preferred state.

Dizzie ( ) posted Wed, 12 February 2003 at 3:41 AM

it aggravates the crappola outta me! and I've never heard of a fix for it...:>( maybe someone will have one...

Tintifax ( ) posted Wed, 12 February 2003 at 7:58 AM

Well, it is most funny that it worked once on my PC, but never again. What a bug!

Jacksmyname1 ( ) posted Wed, 12 February 2003 at 8:22 AM

If you installed Poser 4 and then installed the 4.03 updater, and are launching the program with shortcuts created by your original Poser 4 installation, delete the shortcuts and create new ones. You can then set your preferences and they should stick.

gordons ( ) posted Wed, 12 February 2003 at 9:31 AM

I find that when I set my preferences for window size and background color, the next time I open Poser (pro pack) the window is jammed way up in the right corner and I can't move it.

illusions ( ) posted Wed, 12 February 2003 at 9:34 AM

All you need to do is open the properties for your Poser 4 shortcut and set the "start in" directory to your Poser 4 directory. The 4.03 upgrade fails to set this when it creates the Poser 4 shortcut in your start menu.

Dizzie ( ) posted Wed, 12 February 2003 at 11:53 AM

I've heard that "correct the shortcut" over and over and it has never worked....and no one has ever explained why the path of the shortcut would have anything to do with Poser remembering your settings....

illusions ( ) posted Wed, 12 February 2003 at 12:19 PM

Dizzie, the "start in" setting in properties for your Poser shortcut, "sets" the working directory. A quick and dirty expnation of why this has anything to do with Poser remembering your settins is; when the "start in" field in the shortcut's properties is left blank, the working directory is not "set" so the system does not know where to tell Poser to look for your saved preferences settings, which is why Poser will not "remember" your screen configuration when you start it up. when you say "correct the shortcut" never works for you, what exactly do you mean? What OS are you using and what exactly are you doing to "correct the shortcut"?

compiler ( ) posted Wed, 12 February 2003 at 12:29 PM

I use UI dots to get my interface back where I want it. When you finish aranging your setting, click on one UI dot. Next time Poser screws it up, just click on that dot and all will revert to normal. Compiler

Dizzie ( ) posted Wed, 12 February 2003 at 12:45 PM

WOW Illusions! I can't thank you enough! You are the 1st person (that I've noticed) who said to correct the "start in" path...all I've ever heared is correct the path in the shortcut....well, it's never been wrong (the path to the poser.exe).....so that has never worked....nor made any sense to me....but when I added the path to the "start in" just like you said and then opened Poser, everything was exactly where I wanted it....I have fretted with this for almost 2 years.....LOLOLOL Duhhh, I coulda had a V-8! Thank you for being specific!

classic ( ) posted Wed, 12 February 2003 at 1:35 PM

That seems to have worked for me too. What I did was delete the shortcut that the Curious Labs installer puts in my start menu group, and placed own shortcut to Poser.exe in there.

So far, it's saving the position of ALL the user interface elements. THANKS!

PointLady ( ) posted Thu, 13 February 2003 at 12:36 AM

Illusions, thank you for this tip. However, I found the 'start in' which was blank, so I would appreciate if you could tell me what I should type in this field, the same as in the 'target' or something else, or do you delete the 'target' and just put what is there in the 'start in' instead. Thank you, Jan

Dizzie ( ) posted Thu, 13 February 2003 at 5:02 AM

Jan, leave the target line alone and in the "start in" line, put the path to your Poser folder....here is a copy and paste of what's in mine.... "C:Program FilesMetaCreationsPoser 4"

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.