Tue, Oct 22, 2:30 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Writers

Welcome to the Writers Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Wolfenshire

Writers F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 14 4:51 am)

Writers Gallery

"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass." ---Anton Chekhov

Subject: You need to advertise......

digitalvoodoo ( ) posted Sun, 16 February 2003 at 8:12 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 2:27 AM

I have been visiting R'osity for about a year and a half now and only a few days ago did I actually realize their was a Writers forum. From what I have seen, there are some rather talented folks posting here and I am quite sure many others would enjoy your works if they made it over here(I'm actually a genius so I hope I'm not the only person out of what; 100and some thousand who just didnt notice :)Anyway, thats my 2 cents worth. Maybe a writers gallery !? (Theres not already one of those is there ?((if so I may need more help than I realize:))

dialyn ( ) posted Sun, 16 February 2003 at 8:39 PM

I'm glad you discovered the forum, and I hope you will return (and even contribute--we could use more geniuses), and I agree with your assessment of the people here. You'll find some of the writers who post here combine their graphics with their writing and post the results in the galleries. As for a writer's gallery...now that's an interesting idea.

ChuckEvans ( ) posted Mon, 17 February 2003 at 12:13 AM

I think it's an interesting idea, too. A gallery for graphics written to illustrate a short vignette. Or, a short vignette written to "flesh out" a graphic.

I remember, when I cruised the galleries a bit more than I do now, enjoying graphics with a few hundred words written.

I know there are people who dabble in both in this forum and probably plenty of others who might enjoy a gallery with an accompanying story to post theirs as well. (Imagine the Hot 20 in that gallery...it would have to be a combination of writing and graphics to excel. Of course, that supposes votes in the Hot 20 were on the up-and-up J)

![turkey.gif](http://www.chuck-n-michelle.net/images/turkey.gif)  Sure, you can strive to fly with the eagles but turkeys don't get sucked into jet engines.

meico ( ) posted Mon, 17 February 2003 at 6:15 AM

Poetry and prose galleries [preferably separately and not necessarily attached to graphics] on RR would, in my opinion, provide the finishing touches to an excellent site.

dialyn ( ) posted Mon, 17 February 2003 at 9:57 AM

Could be something for the Community Improvement Forum, though I'm not sure there's enough interest to support a gallery. The thing for me is that I rarely have a graphic and a story come out together. I thought I would when I started with Poser but that's not how it has turned out. If I have an idea for a graphic, that's usually all there is. If I have an idea for a story, that's all there is....trying to turn it into a graphic doesn't do much for me. The most successful examples of this are people who are equally good at both (a rare breed) or people who work in pairs so that each can display a strength. I understand there are people who find graphics stimulating to their writing. I just happen to not be one of them so I guess I shouldn't comment on this idea. The more graphics I do, the less writing I do. But that's just me. The other things is, I find long stories tedious to read on a computer screen. I'm sure I'm not the only one who skips great paragraph blocks that tire the eyes. Or maybe I am. Still an interesting idea. It's my nature to come up with alternatives, but it still would be an interesting idea.

ynsaen ( ) posted Mon, 17 February 2003 at 10:16 AM

The concept behind the bleak journey is essentially this sort of thing, though a bit more structured. A "freeform" gallery which would, I think, "require" a tale to go with an image would be stunning. The best art seems to transcend a single form and branch out beyond the confines of a simple capture. But then, I'm crazy, so what the heck do I know? lol There are a great many images in the galleries already that do include some sort of vignette or piece, and of course there are the "graphic novel" formats (such as that of the Comics corner), but many of the writers I've met in person tend to like an occasional illustration in their works to "spice it up a bit", and a lot of the time images are used to inspire and develop out themes and ideas in a story, even though they may never see the light of day beyond the writers space. This idea is really building up to a critical mass now, I think, and the support for something like this might be greater than many realize. Those of us who enjoy doing this type of stuff tend to do a lot of it and to post frequently.

thou and I, my friend, can, in the most flunkey world, make, each of us, one non-flunkey, one hero, if we like: that will be two heroes to begin with. (Carlyle)

ChuckEvans ( ) posted Mon, 17 February 2003 at 1:58 PM

Well, look on the bright side... without any specific software forum named, there wouldn't be any arguments about whether or not it has had postwork or is 100% Poser/Vue (etc.) J

![turkey.gif](http://www.chuck-n-michelle.net/images/turkey.gif)  Sure, you can strive to fly with the eagles but turkeys don't get sucked into jet engines.

jstro ( ) posted Mon, 17 February 2003 at 4:27 PM

"Poetry and prose galleries [preferably separately and not necessarily attached to graphics]" Ditto. As part of the writer's forum, why would graphics be required? Fine as an option, sure, but certainly not required. Though I sort of think as this forum itself as the gallery, since this is where we post to have people see, and comment on, our stuff. jon

~jon
My Blog - Mad Utopia Writing in a new era.

dialyn ( ) posted Mon, 17 February 2003 at 4:38 PM

Maybe that brings us to the original posting.... we need to advertise. :)

Crescent ( ) posted Mon, 17 February 2003 at 8:30 PM

I get the hint. I just formally asked for a gallery. ;-) As for advertising, will the sudden fame ruin the intimate ambiance that the locals enjoy? ;-) Cheers!

dialyn ( ) posted Mon, 17 February 2003 at 8:42 PM

If you are successful, it will be interesting to see who posts first. I think I know who it would be. No, not me.

digitalvoodoo ( ) posted Mon, 17 February 2003 at 10:39 PM

Actually, Crescent may be right, I'm sorry I got you going on this, the last time I started something, it turned into a small revolution and everyone died. That was bad enough but I really dont think I could live with myself knowing that it was I, who planted the rotten seed of sedition which resulted in the demise of your ambiance. Anyway, forget I said anything, Mod - if you would be so good as to delete this treasonous thread?

dialyn ( ) posted Mon, 17 February 2003 at 10:49 PM

I think you are being too hard on yourself. The thread is fine. The idea is fine. But you do belong here. We are nothing if we are not dramatic. :)

Shoshanna ( ) posted Tue, 18 February 2003 at 7:54 AM

Perhaps if we followed the taxi companys policy it would increase awareness of the writers forum Change its name so it begins with A or 1. We'd be at the top of the alphanumerical pile!

digitalvoodoo ( ) posted Tue, 18 February 2003 at 12:34 PM

Actually, considering the location, wouldn't it be better to follow suit with some of the Poser Merchants and begin the forum name with a ! ? BTW, moi, dramatic!? Methinks not!

dialyn ( ) posted Tue, 18 February 2003 at 12:44 PM

Or we could be ~~Writer's Forum~~ I see that alot in the galleries. Don't know what it does but it looks pretty. !'~~Writer's Forum~~'!

dialyn ( ) posted Tue, 18 February 2003 at 5:03 PM
Crescent ( ) posted Wed, 19 February 2003 at 4:08 PM

I'm still working on the admins. Since this would involve programming changes (I don't know how extensive) if it does get approved - and so far the chances look good, but no guarantees - it will take a bit to implement. As for deleting the treasonous thread, the people have already taken to the streets with their demands, so how can I ignore the will of the people? ;-) Actually, this idea was proposed in the past, but it didn't seem like it would get a lot of support. This thread is definitely helping the chances of getting our own gallery. Cheers!

dialyn ( ) posted Wed, 19 February 2003 at 6:05 PM

Crescent, at least you are giving it a try, which is all we can ask of you. And I noticed you and tjames were out advertising the forum in another thread. I'm guessing if the group vigorously insists on not being ignored, the attention will come. Persistence wills out over time...that's the essence of most successful writers. It has to do with being stubborn.

Shoshanna ( ) posted Wed, 19 February 2003 at 6:25 PM

Just wondering, how come our contests/challenges aren't mentioned on the front page? Come on big renderosity boss people, help this little forum grow! Shanna :-)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.