Fri, Oct 4, 4:21 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 04 8:39 am)

Subject: First Timer- Character Portraits

MO ( ) posted Wed, 10 May 2000 at 2:28 PM · edited Fri, 04 October 2024 at 4:18 PM

file_126797.jpg

I've been reading the boards for awhile, and finally decided to post something. These are just some portraits I made from morphs I've been playing with. Textures are other peoples though. I've found it is pretty fun just trying different looks with that Cosmo software like someone suggested. I'm pretty new at Poser so I hope to learn more from this site so I can go further. Any suggestions on making skin tones realistic colors? It took alot of tinkering with the lights to get the look I was going for, which still looks a little off to me. Thanks, MO

winslow ( ) posted Wed, 10 May 2000 at 2:32 PM

Great work MO ! You've got to let me in on this "Cosmo software" thingy. Winslow (even newbier than I thought I was)

momodot ( ) posted Wed, 10 May 2000 at 3:09 PM

Good work! The hair is Cosmo Make-over? Its worth buying? Key to fleshtones I think is to set model color to white, take the texture maps and desaturate and add noise and then desaturate yet again in post-production. Also, set the Poser lights to cool slightly bluish colors. My portraits are improving in leaps and bounds since reading Traveler's turtorial on making Morph Targets in P4 using magnets. The big revelation to me was I could esentially leave the magnet base at the neck (sometimes rotating it along the x-axis) and do everything by moving around the mag zone set at 3 or 4% and setting the Magnet itself to in visable and basicly ignoring it as I use its dials as though they apply directly to whatever is in the mag zone as in fact they do, the whole magnet object trope mislead the hell out of me until realized that personally. You can set the mag to scale or trans or whaterver and just move that mag zone around the head and see amazing transformations (with full tracking on by the way). As usual, "Thank you, Traveler". Good work MO!

pc_artist ( ) posted Wed, 10 May 2000 at 4:28 PM

Great work.... :-)

==================================

" The Only Limit is your imagination "

==================================

momodot ( ) posted Wed, 10 May 2000 at 4:46 PM

BTW I've been thinking of a "glowing nostral" fix I haven't got around to trying... shuving two little black prop balls set to 0% highlight up the models nose, maybe at 50% transparence so they seem more like shadow than objects, and set with the head as parent.

momodot ( ) posted Wed, 10 May 2000 at 4:49 PM

Lower left figure has the cutest little mouth ever, do you rember what morph you used?

winslow ( ) posted Wed, 10 May 2000 at 8:03 PM

Where might one obtain this wonderous artifact? :-)

momodot ( ) posted Wed, 10 May 2000 at 8:10 PM

$19.95 on Amazon.com See website at http://www.virtualmakeover.com

Talos ( ) posted Wed, 10 May 2000 at 8:13 PM

Wonderful! -Character portraits are my life. -Talos

winslow ( ) posted Wed, 10 May 2000 at 8:20 PM

:-)

Nance ( ) posted Wed, 10 May 2000 at 8:30 PM

Lookin good. You might try a longer lens to reduce the fisheye effect some more, and perhaps a bumpmap on the skin and lips to get a more natural effect.

LoboUK ( ) posted Thu, 11 May 2000 at 5:26 AM

Very nice characters there MO, absolutely wonderful. I agree with Nance about the lens setting. Try a setting of 50-70mm and you'll be amazed at the difference it makes. You might also want to visit Bushi's site (bushi3d.com) and check out his "real eyes" figures. These add an extra dimension to the eyes which gives an even more realistic effect. Momodot: That's an interesting idea, and probably a very easy way of getting rid of the burning nosehair-effect. Also, if you check out the Poser Props Guild (link on the right), there is a modified poser figure (which was done by bloodsong I think) which has this effect corrected. Paul

momodot ( ) posted Thu, 11 May 2000 at 8:37 AM

Yeah. Bushi's eyes are great and I saw the Bloodsong figure somewhere but with my pitifully slow connect I hate big figure downloads for individual features if I can do an easy fix with the Poser native props. Bushi's eyes look beautiful and give iris control (which could be done on the texture map) but it would be easier to take two prop spheres, scale and place them just emerging from the eyes of the figure in default pose, set the eyes as parents, UVmap the props to an all black transparency map, set transparency max to 95% and save the props as smart props. Just an idea :) I still can't decide whether to shell out for Cosmo given the head-on only hair but I saw on the website that the disk includes some male hair also, and that they have an "Essence" African American version of Cosmo sold seperately.

quesswho ( ) posted Thu, 11 May 2000 at 9:01 AM

If you buy the Cosmo Collection as Allie said( I had deluxe and gave it to my daughter and I got the collection)You can import the hair into any paint program and apply it to any size figure. That is what I do though I haven't submitted any to the gallery yet. Marge

MO ( ) posted Thu, 11 May 2000 at 4:34 PM

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions, I will try those on my next post. I'd recommend the Cosmo software to everyone because I think the hair looks so much better than Poser hair. I think the software company keeps releasing new versions so the older ones are in the bargain bin for a reasonable price. I got mine at a discount store for $15, and it says it has 300 female/male/kidlike hairstyles (it took me forever to pick just the right one), 20 hair colors, and 115 accessories. They are all masked, so all I had to do was copy and paste onto my picture and then resize the object. Only bad part was they are all only frontside views; I didn't know the newer versions had more views. I also made some full body character renderings that I might post soon. I haven't tried making any real scenes yet. Someday I'd like to have Bryce, all I have now is Poser and Corel Photo-Paint. But it's so fun I have to buy more :) MO

momodot ( ) posted Fri, 12 May 2000 at 11:53 AM

I just bought Cosmo on eBay today... only saved a few bucks (25%) but it was an impulse purchase. I tried extracting hair from the free downloads at the www.virtualmakeover.com site (I am such a chisler;) but it wouldn't decompress without finding the licensed app on my HD first. Also, just posted a bunch of portrait morphs on my website, thirty some, lots of big ethnic nose types (Me and my loved ones have plenty to work from :), plus youth and age jawlines, youth brow, and a "no eyebrows" brow smooth so that by setting eyebrows material to flesh tone yyou can let your texture map put on nice eyebows without having them plastered over those awefull Poser eyebrows. Http://pages.hotbot.com/arts/momodot/ I still haven't gotten anyone elses eyelash transparency ,maps to work right or done my own yet. momodot

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.