Thu, Sep 19, 3:39 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 2:39 pm)

Subject: OT but something you really should do FREQUENTLY.

PabloS ( ) posted Fri, 28 February 2003 at 7:19 PM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 3:33 PM

I just resurrected my weekend. If you don't have a disk imaging program, GET ONE. Windows decided to go down the tubes on me and what would have been an all weekend job to restore everything took 15 minutes.

aprilrosanina ( ) posted Fri, 28 February 2003 at 8:35 PM

Whassa disk imaging program and where can you get one? April Follies, who definitely sees the sense in this

tasquah ( ) posted Fri, 28 February 2003 at 8:37 PM

Every one i know uses nortons " Ghost " I have used it a few times and it was pretty quick and easy .

Jcleaver ( ) posted Fri, 28 February 2003 at 8:45 PM

Norton's Ghost is good, as is Powerquests Drive Image. I have used both, and really can't say which one I like better. Supposedly Drive Image is faster, but my tests don't bare that out. It doesn't appear to be any slower either.

dampeoples ( ) posted Fri, 28 February 2003 at 9:57 PM

Or carbon copy cloner if you are on the mac

mysticwinter ( ) posted Fri, 28 February 2003 at 10:06 PM

so what does this do?

dampeoples ( ) posted Fri, 28 February 2003 at 10:08 PM

Creates a clone backup of your system, perfs and all, in case......

Peter_Marino ( ) posted Fri, 28 February 2003 at 10:45 PM

Attached Link: http://www.ntius.com/

NewTech Infosystems has some great software, including NTI Backup NOW 3.0 Deluxe.

Patricia ( ) posted Fri, 28 February 2003 at 10:56 PM

I'm a Mac person and I'd never heard of cloners---so, thank you! And I think the Poser Forum is an appropriate place to post the info, since Poser's frequent crashes and hang-ups have resulted in (I am not making this up) 'panicked kernals'...... Whatever they are, they cause The Gray Screen Of Death and one of these days, I'm going to have to restore everything, and I will be blessing your name as I do ;)

whbos ( ) posted Sat, 01 March 2003 at 11:25 AM

Sounds like a good idea, but if there's something wrong with a configuration that would bring the whole system down (not hardware related), then I'd rather do a reformat and reinstall even if it takes all weekend. I do it anyway, at least twice a year.

Poser 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, Pro 2014, 11, 11 Pro

PabloS ( ) posted Sat, 01 March 2003 at 2:26 PM

It's turned out to be a better time investment to restore a KNOWN stable system in 15 minutes than to completely reload...but that's just my opinion. I only image the system "disk" when I'm satisfied with it's stability. In this instance, I believe I have a random hardware thing going on that brought WinXP down this time (system restore has been unreliable). A few other configuration points that makes this easy for me: - WinXP is on a partition all by itself, nothing else touches it. - I load ALL applications on a separate partition. - I keep ALL data on a separate partition. With this configuration, all I have to restore is the C: drive and I'm back in business. If there were any apps that I loaded since the last image, I would have had to reload those too...if they required the registry. Oh, I do data backups on CD-R...because it's easier than trying to extract a single file from a disk image.

Dizzie ( ) posted Sat, 01 March 2003 at 5:02 PM

"Re: OT but something you really should do FREQUENTLY" I thought you were going to say "pee"..heheh But seriously Pablo, which imaging program did you use?

PabloS ( ) posted Sat, 01 March 2003 at 5:36 PM

Dizzie, I've been using Norton's Ghost. It will image a drive straight to CD-Rs and make 'em bootable. "I thought you were going to say 'pee'..heheh" LOL...I'm glad you didn't mention other possible body functions!

Dizzie ( ) posted Sat, 01 March 2003 at 7:44 PM

LOLOLOL..if I were constipated I might of thought of another, but today is a good day...heheheh Thanks for the info!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.