Sun, Sep 22, 3:45 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Animation, Mac to PC

vernonglen ( ) posted Sun, 23 March 2003 at 12:35 AM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 3:43 AM

What is the most cross platform friendly format for animation and can I get there using Carrara 2? I am not real familiar with PCs, will Quick time work? Thanks, Vern

HAWK999 ( ) posted Sun, 23 March 2003 at 4:38 AM

Hi Vern,

yes Quicktime should be just fine

HAWK999

vernonglen ( ) posted Sun, 23 March 2003 at 3:20 PM

Thanks a bunch. I have found Carrara to be very useful creating exciting industrial graphics. Now I am trying to branch into animating them too. While I use Apple products, my clients use PCs. They also favor Power Point Presentations. Can Quicktime be used in Power Point? Or what? Thank you, vern

willf ( ) posted Sun, 23 March 2003 at 10:07 PM

I have ppt with Office98 and you can import Quicktime movies into your presentations and also use image files for slide show presentations and backgrounds. The Powerpoint file can also be exported as HTML for use in web-browsers. You can create slide shows for the HTML version but I'm not sure if you can imbed the movie files within them. Apple has a PowerPoint-like program that can work with existing ppt files. I don't know if you can export as ppt though. I use MacOSX/9 but don't really use powerpoint except to see what it looks like. It's one of those boiler-plate programs that creates content that all look the same. I guess that conformity is its appeal.

willf ( ) posted Sun, 23 March 2003 at 10:21 PM

Attached Link: http://www.apple.com/keynote/

Keynote (by Apple) can export to ppt, Quicktime, & PDF. Looks like it's a nice application that could give your presentations a fresh look.

vernonglen ( ) posted Mon, 24 March 2003 at 10:58 AM

Thank you, I agree about ppt's limitations, but my clients use it a lot, so I must work within the limitations. I will look into Keynote, that sounds useful. Thanks again, Vern

graylensman ( ) posted Tue, 25 March 2003 at 7:25 AM

One thing I've run into in porting QuickTime movies from Macs to PCs - the resource fork thing. I've created QuickTime animations in Macromedia Director MX. Found that I had to get ahold of software that will strip out (or flatten) the extra resource forks Mac OS uses in its file structures. This may be different with Carrara; I don't know. Just thought I'd share the wisdom of three days' pain... :P

vernonglen ( ) posted Tue, 25 March 2003 at 10:34 AM

Thank you, I am still using 9.1 on my G4, it works so well I am reluctant to go to OS 10. I always experience new system shake down pains. I am running tests with PC clients now and will no doubt find some challanges. vern

bluetone ( ) posted Wed, 26 March 2003 at 8:30 AM

I would HIGHLY recomend using a 3rd-party program (cleaner, etc.) to change your QT files into MPEG1 files. MOST PCs will choke on a QT file imbedded in PowerPoint. I do this ALOT, and can tell you that PC PowerPoint DOESN'T like QuickTime. Also, as you create graphics, always use a cross platform file type, like JPG, (worst<) BMP (large but better,) or preferably TIF. Tif supports transparency, and PowerPoint can read that transparency and allow for none square graphics. PNG is even better, as the files will be smaller, and still support transparencies, but you'll need a 3rd-party program (Photoshop etc,) to convert the file since C doesn't support PNG. I hope this helps! :>

vernonglen ( ) posted Wed, 26 March 2003 at 10:37 AM

Thanks for the info, but I don't understand some of the terms. 1) Whats "cleaner", is that a program and where would I get it? 2) Whats "PNG"? and where do I get it? I use Photoshop a great deal, but have only done illustrations, ad construction and retouching. Tif is my preferred format for export to Quark. It sounds like I can create PNG files (whatever they are) out of Photoshop, correct? thanks, vern

graylensman ( ) posted Wed, 26 March 2003 at 12:23 PM

Yep. Just do a "Save As" and select PNG from the menu...

pixelicious ( ) posted Thu, 27 March 2003 at 6:05 PM

for saving png, gif, jpg files in photoshop, "file: save for web" is the nicest way to compress files.

it allows you to have lots of control over the compression settings. You can look at multiple compression settings simultaneously, and save compression settings.

-pix

willf ( ) posted Fri, 28 March 2003 at 12:07 PM

GraphicsConverter also has an option to "save for web" (png, tif, jpg. ete, etc, etc) without the Mac Resource Fork info.

bluetone ( ) posted Fri, 28 March 2003 at 3:12 PM

Cleaner is a program from Discreet (www.discreet.com) that is made for compressing video files, (animations included) into a variety of different file types, mostly for use on the Web, but also for other reasons, like compressing a QuickTime file into an MPEG-1 file for use in PowerPoint. :> I would agree with pix that the algorythm used in 'save for web' is better then the standard 'save as...' and allows for trying out differnt compression settings, (for JPGs or GIFs) and resizing before the actual save. This can save alot of time and effort to find a setting that works best for the image at hand.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.