Sat, Sep 21, 10:37 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 5:40 am)

Subject: Another tutorial (which I truly hope is amazing to ;)

thomaskrahn ( ) posted Thu, 27 March 2003 at 10:42 AM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 10:36 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/tut.ez?Form.ViewPages=194

file_52084.jpg

Hi there. I've also just made a new tutorial :) It's about texturing and lighting, since many people has asked for it :) Feedback is very appreciated... - Thomas

tradivoro ( ) posted Thu, 27 March 2003 at 11:18 AM

Hi Thomas, that is a great tutoral... Great tips on the texture editor with the black and white map and the lighting part was educational as well...

SAMS3D ( ) posted Thu, 27 March 2003 at 11:48 AM

Thank you....Sharen

Peggy_Walters ( ) posted Thu, 27 March 2003 at 12:43 PM

Thanks! This is very helpful. Peggy

LVS - Where Learning is Fun!  
http://www.lvsonline.com/index.html

Ms_Outlaw ( ) posted Thu, 27 March 2003 at 12:45 PM

Thank you. Found a couple things in there I got to try. ~S~

Ms_Outlaw ( ) posted Thu, 27 March 2003 at 1:45 PM

I had to come back and thank you again. I had never used the distrubtion of material map thing before. I know I should have read the manual ~G~ It's so cool.

MightyPete ( ) posted Thu, 27 March 2003 at 3:01 PM

Excellent. This is the kind of tutorials we need more of. Having answered millions of questions about it already it is truly one of the trouble spots some people have with Vue.

thomaskrahn ( ) posted Thu, 27 March 2003 at 3:04 PM

Thanks! This really make writing tutorials worth it all :)

Jimco ( ) posted Thu, 27 March 2003 at 3:23 PM

Wow, Thomas! You should seriously consider writing a book if you've got enough of this type of information to fill it! I would certainly be willing to purchase such a book. This tutorial is absolutely fantastic! Your image is also fantastic. I just love seeing other people's creations. It really lets me get some great ideas. You are truly a talent both in Vue and in your ability to convey your skill to others. I really appreciate this work, and I hope to see much more! Thanks. Jim

treemont ( ) posted Thu, 27 March 2003 at 5:19 PM

great tut! I loved it, even if I never used Vue! which I'm planing to :)

rollmops ( ) posted Thu, 27 March 2003 at 6:05 PM

Very well done Thomas;the image and the tutorial :-) cheers rollmops.

http://www.fredivoss.de 

...yippi ah yeah or something like that...

Djeser ( ) posted Fri, 28 March 2003 at 2:43 AM

I didn't know about the material distribution map! (drags the manual out) That's so cool! Thank you for such an excellent tutorial.

Sgiathalaich

gebe ( ) posted Fri, 28 March 2003 at 2:49 AM

:-) Seems that older Vue users discover new things with your tutorials Thomas. As I'm always the first one to test your tuts, I was sure it's a good one again. :-)Guitta guittalogo.GIF

draklava ( ) posted Fri, 28 March 2003 at 2:08 PM

Great tips... thanks Thomas!

Quick question... when you create your own textures from photos do you make them seamless? What is a good program to create seamless textures from a jpg picture?

(I found Iris for creating seamless procedural textures but I don't think you can load pictures in this tool)

Jason

rollmops ( ) posted Fri, 28 March 2003 at 2:29 PM

As i may give an answer : the best program i know to work on this area is photoshop,but regarding to your budget apps like photopaint might be the second choice (but not that completely ). cheers rollmops :-)

draklava ( ) posted Fri, 28 March 2003 at 2:33 PM

I have photoshop - is their a filter to do this or do you resort to the copy paste quadrant and blur method? I thought there might be a plugin that does this but I don't think I have it

rollmops ( ) posted Fri, 28 March 2003 at 2:53 PM

Hmm,in photoshop 7 you have a function to create tiles,but that's more for web-use.Anyway using the copy paste-function should give you the possibility to create seamless tiles in any resolution (with a bit of work:-).

xoconostle ( ) posted Fri, 28 March 2003 at 3:01 PM

Thomas, many thanks for a great tutorial. Your advice regarding distribution of mixed materials was especially helpful.

fretshredder ( ) posted Fri, 28 March 2003 at 4:11 PM

wow! that is a great tut! Thank you for taking the time (over and over again) to share your knowledge with us. We love it! LOL

MightyPete ( ) posted Fri, 28 March 2003 at 6:25 PM

I may write a seamless tutorial. I sort of started one on a thread over at 3dCommune. It's in the PSP forum. Lets see if I can steal it and paste it here on a new thread... There is a lot to it though this just touches the surface but there is lots of information even there so I'll go steal it and post it here. It's rough, this was just answering questions. It's not a complete tutorial it was just a reply to a few threads...

draklava ( ) posted Fri, 28 March 2003 at 6:27 PM

I'm also curious about texture sizes... I took a picture of some grass with my digital camera, loaded it into photoshop 512x512 and made it seamless (by copy/paste blur middle technique) when I load it onto the ground plane it looks too noisy is 512x512 too small/big? Any tips on creating materials from pictures?

MightyPete ( ) posted Fri, 28 March 2003 at 7:02 PM

Attached Link: http://www.3dcommune.com/3d/forum.mv?Paintshop_Pro+read+8952021017

Actually forget that. It's too difficult to steal. I don't want to type it all over again.. Go here and read it instead. You may have to sign up but it's painless. Oh the answer to your question is it's too small. Well depends I guess. I've made a grass texture seamless that works that is 512 X 512 in size. It depends on your scene really. Mine was small so it worked. Bigger is better though. I just rendered a ocean underwater scene with the bottom of the ocean a rock texture I made that is seamless that was 1600 X 1200 in size and it looks really excellent and real. The links to that texture are in this link here to this thread on seamless textures.

ggriffaw ( ) posted Sat, 29 March 2003 at 7:34 AM

Great tutorial. Can you explain the part about the grass a little more?

MightyPete ( ) posted Sat, 29 March 2003 at 9:18 AM

Well how about I just upload the file... A picture is worth a thousand words. It's a texture right you cannot make it three D cause it's flat.... keep that in mind. Hmmm I can't find it now. It's not surprising. My hard drives are 100 gig and there fullish. There is lots of files here. I can't remember what I called it. I'll tell you how I made it though. i rendered a green mossy texture in Vue 512 X 512 then i took that picture and sprayed grass on it with a image hose of some kind and made it seamless with offset like the link there explains then I took that grass and rendered it in Vue in a different scene with plants added. it worked but the scene was not to big. If you need more three d-ish grass then forget that, render the moss and paint the grass with the image hose direct on the art. I got the final just I cannot find the seamless grass texture I used. I got some pretty good grass here though but it needs work. I don't know where I got it from there big pictures though. 1600 X 1200 size stuff. Needs to be made seamless by the looks of it. Bigger is better. I'll make a seamless big one for ya when I wake up. I need sleep right now.

Flycatcher ( ) posted Sun, 06 April 2003 at 8:20 AM

Thanks a million, Thomas. I am yet another user who had not discovered the material distribution map feature! Its power and flexibility is immediately obvious, particularly when a quick experiment shows how it can be used in combination with all the other features such as height/slope dependency etc. and that you can use full-coloured pictures as maps as well (Vue automatically extracting the grey-scale information from these when used as a material map). This is going to make numerous effects possible that I previously would have added in post.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.