Mon, Sep 23, 6:23 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 23 6:09 am)

Subject: Poser 5 problems. Aarrgh.

Katoran ( ) posted Sun, 30 March 2003 at 2:48 PM · edited Mon, 23 September 2024 at 6:23 AM

Ok, I just recently got brave enough to reinstall Poser 5 again. I've downloaded the patches from Curious Labs, and I installed them. So why doesn't it work? Blah. At the moment, I'm having problems with the camera tracking controls. Rotating the camera works, but none of the pan controls seem to work the way they do in Poser 4. Instead of panning the camera along a plane, the camera just jitters around and then lurches off in some random direction. All I've done so far is Open the program. Delete the standard dork figure from the workspace (not the library) and set the empty studio as the prefered startup state. Load the P4 Horse Open the Hair Room. Created a new Hair group called Mane Selected the horse's head to start trying to select polygons And as soon as I tried to pan the camera to get a better view of the horse, blammo, the camera controls go straight to the toilet. Am I doing something wrong here, or does this program just still not work? I have not installed any other plugins, python scripts, or even any of the extra models from the content CD. The only thing I've added is the Full SR1 patch, and the SR1 to SR2 patch. I also tried exiting the program restarting, and then loading a ball prop (so I have something to look at) and panning the camera again, and it still does the same thing. I'm glad I only paid the upgrade price on it, anyway. I'd be really annoyed if I'd had to pay full price for this kind of preformance.

gryffnn ( ) posted Sun, 30 March 2003 at 3:06 PM

Cameras work fine for me. Are you having problems with a specific camera or all of them? When using the trackball or turning dials or entering dial values or all? And what system are you using?

Katoran ( ) posted Sun, 30 March 2003 at 3:31 PM

The main camera is the only one I'd tried. The problem is with any of the panning controls except the rotate trackball. (Anything the is supposed to move the camera up, down, side to side or forward and back, doesn't.) I'm running Windows 98SE. I have not tried turning dials or entering values, and it wouldn't matter if those do still work. That's not how I normally move the camera - if the standard camera controls don't work, I'll uninstall and toss Poser 5 back in my "crummy software I wish I hadn't bought" shoebox with Impossible Creatures and Master of Orion 3. Katoran

ablc ( ) posted Sun, 30 March 2003 at 3:38 PM

could you tell us wich release u used ? the last full patched should be 5.0.2.268 if not, try to repatch it laurent

gryffnn ( ) posted Sun, 30 March 2003 at 3:41 PM

Strange, I'm running P5 on a Win96SE laptop. Do you have the same problem with other figures? Have you tried launching to Factory Settings? I've got to go out now, but will check the main camera operations later today.

Renegade572 ( ) posted Sun, 30 March 2003 at 3:56 PM

I had a similar problem. When I would rotate, it would lurch and jerk and then disappear off the screen. I found that the Hair was killing my machine.

Turn the visibility, in the properties, off. Turn it on when you need it.

Also, try setting your tracking to either fast or box. Although I don't think this worked for me. I had to remove the hair.

I had to uninstall it from my work machine, I just could not use it there. To bad, I actually have more time at work, then at home. LOL

I believe the problem is the video card. As with the video card we use at work, it is a card designed for CADD work, Hardware OGL, not software.

This may be what is going on with your machine, then again, it may not.

This works fine for me on my machine at home.

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Sun, 30 March 2003 at 4:10 PM

Hair can be a major resource hog.

The video card shouldn't be a factor with Poser. But I've seen stranger conflicts with other software and hardware, so one never knows.

Katoran ( ) posted Sun, 30 March 2003 at 4:19 PM

As I said, I installed Poser 5, then the SR1 figure patch, SR1 full patch, and the current SR2 patch, in that order. My computer is a Pentium 4 2GHz, with 1024 MB ram, and two 60 GB hard drives. Video card is a an Nvidia Geforce 4, with 256 MB video ram. In addition to the total inability to get most of the camera controls to work, I've also noted that P5 takes about five times as long to load as Poser Pro. (I've tested the other cameras, ie, Top Down, Side, Face, Hand, etc, and none of them work. It also happens to any of the figures I've tried to load, including props, and whether or not I open the Hair, Cloth, or Grouping windows.) Since it appears that whatever is happening is due to some strange interaction with my particular machine, and that I'll end up having to do some odd thing to "work around" it, I've decided to avoid the problem completely. I've uninstalled it, and it will stay that way until Curious Labs have released a few more patches. I have better things to do with my time than figure out how to work around serious bugs in basic functions, especially since the only part of P5 that really interested me was the dynamic hair and cloth. I've already got Bryce and Vue, so I don't need the Firefly renderer. Thanks to everyone, and sorry for the inconvenience. Katoran

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Sun, 30 March 2003 at 5:01 PM

Installing the SR1 full patch isn't necessary. All executable fixes are incorporated into the current SR2 patch. The correct order is to install Poser 5, then the SR1 figure patch, then the current SR2 patch. It probably doesn't make a difference, but if you change your mind and give Poser 5 another chance before the SR3 patch is released, try updating it that way.

Marque ( ) posted Sun, 30 March 2003 at 5:01 PM

You should only have installed the figure and the last patch. You don't need to install all of the previous patches, you just may be installing bugs. Try to re-install, run the figure patch and the last patch only. Marque

layingback ( ) posted Sun, 30 March 2003 at 6:16 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains violence

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?ForumID=12440

Much of Loser5's problems are due to memory. They are actually inherited problems from Poser4, I've reproduced all the Loser5 problems in features shared with Poser4, in Poser4 - they are harder to make occur, you really have to load up the scene, but they are there. But the new features in Loser5 are huge and they are also *always* memory resident along with all the Poser4 stuff, and so further starve the earlier Poser4 ones of memory resulting in yet greater instability. This has been a continuing hypothesis since 5.2's release, but check out the Poser 5.2 Forum (yes it still exists) for williamsheil's very enlightening explanation of Poser's Memory Management - or lack thereof in his response to "P5 Memory,... Oh I forgot." 3/27 - 29. It's worth reading if only for Bill's priceless term 'bedroom programming' ;-) Fingers crossed for SR3 fixing underlying problems not just the newly-created-in-Loser5 problems... (Violence warning flag turned on for benefit of those who would hear nothing ill said of CL or Poser5 :-)

milamber42 ( ) posted Sun, 30 March 2003 at 6:55 PM

Hopefully SR3 will fix a lot of problems. It's been almost 4 months since SR2 (my SR2.1 date is 12/6).

queri ( ) posted Sun, 30 March 2003 at 7:08 PM

Never had the camera problems and my computer is equivalent to yours, along with the video card. I installed everything the way Little Dragon described. You can expect Poser 5 to be slow starting, it usually is, but sometimes it might surprise you. But Camera probs, never had em. My only prob is occasional freezes at render, cause as far a I cna see random. But i'm having fwer of those with a smaller Poser 5 runtime. I may throw all the Poser 4 people down off of it and see if that helps more. Did you, by any chance have collision control checked with the hair? that's a known problem. Often freezes everything up. Emily

queri ( ) posted Sun, 30 March 2003 at 7:09 PM

Oh, and I'm running XP not 98-- 98 won't give you full access to your memory, which may be the prob Emily

Tirjasdyn ( ) posted Mon, 31 March 2003 at 1:47 PM

Have you tried the camera controls above the doc window, instead of the ones on the side? Sorry, very tired here if that does'nt make sense.

Tirjasdyn

Crescent ( ) posted Mon, 31 March 2003 at 3:57 PM

I've had some camera problems as well, though not quite the way you're describing. I can't reliably get the parameter dials to affect the camera. Heck, sometimes, the parameter dials refuse to load for the camera at all, even if I chose the camera at the top of the parameter dial screen. I'm on XP, not W98, but at least you know you're not imaging the problem. ;-) Cheers!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.