Sun, Oct 6, 2:22 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 29 9:32 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: 3D Boolean mess

JDexter ( ) posted Sat, 05 April 2003 at 6:48 PM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 12:32 PM

Maybe it's me, but when I use 3D Boolean, I end up spending more time deleting the enourmous amout of bad links and extra vertices than if I just set all the vertices by hand in the first place. An example: I have a cube (Tried both Vertex and primitive) and I want to subtact a smaller cube from the middle for a window. The results are awful. I have tried subdividing first, triangulating, etc, but still I get a mess. Am I doing something wrong or it the program? It is Carrara 2.0 with the latest updates. I really have something I have to get done, so I am just deleting all the stray links and vertices till the outline then I play connect the dots and fill, but there has got to be another way. Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks, JDexter

umblefugly ( ) posted Sat, 05 April 2003 at 7:51 PM

lol..I hate booleans. Usually I just use the scissor tol and delete the parts I dont need then link points and fill polygons. Works for me.

sailor_ed ( ) posted Sat, 05 April 2003 at 8:05 PM

Your example might be easier done with the spline modeler using "compounded" square sections. I am always surprised at how versatile the spline modeler is.

umblefugly ( ) posted Sat, 05 April 2003 at 8:10 PM

Good point sailor...why didnt I remember that?...lol

Kixum ( ) posted Sun, 06 April 2003 at 3:42 PM

file_53339.jpg

Sailor beat me to it on this one. -Kix![supercool.gif](http://market.renderosity.com/~carrara/emoticons/egg/supercool.gif)

-Kix

JayPeG ( ) posted Sun, 06 April 2003 at 5:24 PM

It's not you. Booleans suck in C2. They are pretty much useless.

JDexter ( ) posted Mon, 07 April 2003 at 7:35 AM

Thanks for the info all. =) I'm going to have to brush up on my spline work to get it done. Can you specify exact sizes within the spline editor? In this example the models are quite large and need to have specific sizes. In the past when I have used the spline editor (for minor stuff) I always size the item once I am done modelling, but in this case it's not an option. I finished the actual wall pieces this weekend with the cut and link method (groan, my eyes! my eyes!) but would love to solve this issue so that the next model doesn't require that extreme a measure. Thanks again, JDexter

sfdex ( ) posted Mon, 07 April 2003 at 11:14 AM

You can use the grid in the spline modeler with the "snap-to" enabled for precision. As for the boolean operations -- they're a mess in most programs. (Bryce being the one exception, because its booleans don't really change the model's geometry, but rather just changes how the model renders -- kind of a clever approach, but useless in a geometry-based renderer like Carrara.) The only suggestion I can make is to be sure your surface fidelity is as high as you can crank it for both objects you're performing the boolean on. I've managed to sneak out some decent booleans in the past (mostly in RayDream, but a couple in Carrara, too), but I don't count on it being possible. Hope this is helpful.

JayPeG ( ) posted Wed, 09 April 2003 at 3:01 AM

"Bryce being the one exception, because its booleans don't really change the model's geometry, but rather just changes how the model renders" That's innaccurate. Infini-D did/does the same thing.

sfdex ( ) posted Thu, 10 April 2003 at 12:55 PM

My apologies -- I'd forgotten that about Infini-D. (Used it a LONG time ago in a state far, far away.) Although Bryce is the sole exception (that I'm aware of) that's still in production. I'd love to find a good boolean operation somewhere, though.... - Dex

bluetone ( ) posted Tue, 15 April 2003 at 1:04 PM

You can specify each point in the spline modeler. I have done quite a few models that are 'real-world' accurate. :>

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.