Sat, Sep 21, 6:50 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Anyone know what the heck these are???

TwistedMindDesigns ( ) posted Sat, 19 April 2003 at 2:50 AM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 6:45 AM

file_54983.jpg

I just got Bryce 5 about 6 months ago and as some of you know I have been making models from terrain and texture maps. While building my models I have been saving parts as objects in my "create" preset within bryce then put the peices together. As I progress I would accumulate quite a bit of objects, so after assembling the finished peice I would delete the parts.... Well this caused Bryce to crash multiple times, then whenever I went to the create object section the program would freeze. I have re- installed the program 4 times already, which would be a temp. fix... I was working with bryce today and to my SURPRISE!!! I got a "Error, Your disk is full" prompt... Now this may not sound unusual, but I have multiple drives and about 400 gigs of space.... After searching around I found that the program has been dumping *.tmp files into my object folder... (see attached pict.) This was just after re-installing for the 4th time and the folder already accumulated 3 gigs of temp files! Question? Anyone know what these are and if I delete them will I have problems with my saved projects and objects?? Sorry it took so long to get to the point... Thanks in advance for your help! TMD

Even if you choose not to choose, you still have made a choice

AgentSmith ( ) posted Sat, 19 April 2003 at 3:10 AM

I haven't ever had a problem with deleting .tmp files (temp files) AS

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"

chohole ( ) posted Sat, 19 April 2003 at 3:22 AM

I get these all the time, and just delete them. If you have these temps you might want to check your temp directories as well, because bryce will probably have dumped some tmp files which have spool in the title there. These I think are the ones that fill up the disc space as far as bryce is concerned. I do a search for *.tmp to find where bryce stores these. Win2k puts them in documents and settings on the partition that carries you OS.Mine come up under administrator, because I have a mini network set up, but search will locate them.

The greatest part of wisdom is learning to develop  the ineffable genius of extracting the "neither here nor there" out of any situation...."

TwistedMindDesigns ( ) posted Sat, 19 April 2003 at 3:34 AM

Thanks for the quick replys... I thought Bryce was taking lessons from Poser 5 for a min. I had the same problem with that until I installed the sr2 patch! Do you would think Bryce will come up with a way to auto delete these files after you save the file your working on! It seems a real pain in the bum to have to keep searching and deleteing!!! TMD

AgentSmith ( ) posted Sat, 19 April 2003 at 4:01 AM

I don't seem to get them, like ever. So, I don't know. Perhaps you should save the various parts as .br5 files, and when you're finished, just use "merge" to put the parts together, then delete the .br5 files? That's what I mostly do with larger scenes, keeps my library presets from bloating. (Bryce doesn't truly delete objects from it's preset files, it just takes the thumbnail away) AgentSmith

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"

Erlik ( ) posted Sat, 19 April 2003 at 4:44 AM

Well, those are the seeds of a terrible alien civilisation, the ToMPus... :-) I create various files as Bryce scenes and then just copy/paste into the finishing scene. BTW, I have never seen a preference option to determine the TEMP directory. And, DO NOT delete tmp files while Bryce is open. You'll probably just get the message that one of the files cannot be deleted, but you never know. Funny, I also have never noticed tmp files created by Bryce. Maybe it's the matter of memory. TMD, how much memory do you have?

-- erlik

chohole ( ) posted Sat, 19 April 2003 at 4:59 AM

I reduced my chances of getting them by defragging regularly, and moving my bryce files to a partition all by themselves. Bryce seems to need a lot of space around it, even though it is not using it. You only get them when bryce crashes. Bryce crashes when you make lots of deletions for some strange reason. I now delete, save, delete save several times, rather than deleting every unwanted bit all at once. Takes longer but its safer in the long run. BTW make sure that the file you want to keep opens in bryce before you delete the tmp files. sometimes you can recover it from a tmp.

The greatest part of wisdom is learning to develop  the ineffable genius of extracting the "neither here nor there" out of any situation...."

TwistedMindDesigns ( ) posted Sat, 19 April 2003 at 5:37 AM

Erlik, I have 512 DDR which, I am told, is suppose to be like 1 gb SDRAM. chohole, Even when I delete one file at a time from the "create" menu I get a system freeze. I also thought 40 gigs would be plenty of room around Bryce but I guess those tmp files filled that up within a couple of days of working with it. TMD

Roch222 ( ) posted Sat, 19 April 2003 at 6:57 AM

I always get the huge temp files currently I have about 2 gig worth, I usually just get rid of them but somethimes I get the blank thumbnaily thing, but it doesnt seem to effect anything else... roch222

foleypro ( ) posted Sat, 19 April 2003 at 6:59 AM

Hmmm...Well I am with AgentSmith on this one,I dont get these tmp files or at leaste not like this...I have in the past let my folders get bloated but now I just bring in the models I need and then I keep my folders real low,I do always after Texture mapping the objects I save then export back out as an OBP if it is a multiple Mapped object like a poser figure.If the model is OBJ I just save the texture Maps with the objects so I dont need my folders huge...Now it sounds like maybe some references of corrupted files might still be left in the registry or in The Bryce Patch yhat you might have applied...Un-install delete all of the tmp files pertaing to Bryce then run a registry cleaner then scandisk then disdefrag then run Registry cleaner again then Re-install then run the Patch...Then when you make your models and Maps just save them in seperate folders and bring in as a Batch or delete single files when you need too.

Erlik ( ) posted Sat, 19 April 2003 at 7:00 AM

Well, no, you were told wrong. 512 MB is 512 MB. It's only that DDR is faster than SDRAM, roughly two times faster. So it will supply the data for the program at a faster rate. Has nothing to do with the amount of memory. But I had 512MB SDRAM and still didn't have the problem you have. Hm. Now that I nstalled the patch, when I change a texture or insert a new figure, and then try to save, Bryce suggests saving under new name. Maybe it saves in a temp file in the meantime. I'll check.

-- erlik

Swade ( ) posted Sat, 19 April 2003 at 8:53 AM

Can't really say that I have seen anything like that myself. If these files are truely just .tmp files and you delete them you should have no problems with saved projects I wouldn't think.... .tmp is just that... temporary. Hope you get things figured out. Wish I could be more helpful to this situation. Just my $0.02

There are 10 kinds of people: Those who know binary, and those who don't. 

A whiner is about as useful as a one-legged man at an arse kicking contest.

catlin_mc ( ) posted Sat, 19 April 2003 at 8:57 AM

I only get these tmp files when Bryce crashes and even then it is only one or two at the most. I now have 1Gb DDR RAM and things have been running very smoothly since it was installed. Catlin

pakled ( ) posted Sat, 19 April 2003 at 10:30 AM

Attached Link: http://www.filext.com

I'm running about 327 meg on my machine, I've never seen temp files in the Bryce Dir (not that I've looked..;) In the incredible off chance that it's something else..here's a place to determine what extensions are..

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Erlik ( ) posted Sat, 19 April 2003 at 1:11 PM

Funny thing is, Bryce has a TEMP directory, and all the tmp files should be there, not in the Objects dir.

-- erlik

judyk ( ) posted Sat, 19 April 2003 at 1:33 PM

I have had similar problems with crashes when trying to delete large objects (usually treelab trees)from the create menu. Generally happens when I try to delete more then one object in a session. One cure is to delete one object, shut Bryce down, restart it, delete the next object, shut Bryce down, restart it, etc. etc. Tiresome but prevents crashes. Bryce seems to be doing a lot of work during deletes, so I would guess it is shunting stuff around in the memory, and possibly doesn't keep track correctly of where it is putting things, hence the crashes, which leave the .TMP files lying around.

Erlik ( ) posted Sat, 19 April 2003 at 5:15 PM

I delete imported items, textures and so on, and then import new ones ... Never had a crash because of that that I remember.

-- erlik

sackrat ( ) posted Sat, 19 April 2003 at 10:47 PM

I've gotten them from deleting large size .OBP files from one of my user folders. I delete them and I've never had any problems. I have had situations where upon opening Bryce again the .tmp files would regenerate, and I'd delete them again, they have always stayed gone upon second delete.

"Any club that would have me as a member is probably not worth joining" -Groucho Marx

shadowdragonlord ( ) posted Sun, 20 April 2003 at 5:29 AM

Aye, after some (intensive) testing it is true! These .tmp files are what Bryce uses to "restore" itself after crashing. Corel's attempt to make up for something...? (cackles!) But this doesn't explain why Twisted Mind has all of those... I never get those in my Object directory, only .tmp's in whichever directory my crashing file is saving in... Comes in handy, if you are using less than 512MB or so of RAM. Forced crashing is silly, but useful at times! Alas, we need a database of all of this data, crashes vs. machine parts, etc. Uing this data, we would do nothing, except nod and act cooler. Or calculate Bryce 5's "I" level, the machine power necessary to where the render time equals zero...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.