Sat, Sep 21, 6:10 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: render lighting effect with alpha channel

Ed ( ) posted Thu, 24 April 2003 at 10:46 AM ยท edited Mon, 22 July 2024 at 2:55 AM

is there a way to render lighting effects and have alpha channel? thanks

Kixum ( ) posted Thu, 24 April 2003 at 11:51 AM

Yes, It depends on which file format you use and how you render. Check the settings in the render room. -Kix

-Kix

bluetone ( ) posted Thu, 24 April 2003 at 12:28 PM

In the render room, alpha channels are called 'G-buffers.' And the button to activate them is only available when you chose a format that can use them. Like, TIFs, or some QuickTime codecs.

whkguamusa ( ) posted Thu, 24 April 2003 at 5:03 PM

One point to clear up, You will get an alpha channel but none of lighting effects will be masked. I think Carrara depends on the edges of mesh in the scene to generate the mask edges. The same is true for the volumetric objects like clouds & fog - no mesh-no mask. Checking the g-buffers and having visible lighting effects can at times cause an animation render to crash or error out. mdc

pem ( ) posted Fri, 25 April 2003 at 1:04 AM

file_55725.jpg

As a general rule, you do much better to render in several passes and then mix each separate render back together using an individual object mask in a compositing program to get your final render.

For my St. Judy's Comet: Brian image, each element was rendered out as a individual picture with every other element made hidden or made black against a black background (I may have used blue as that was the dominant colour). I then rendered each object again with only a white shader, black background, 100% ambient light, no other lights to create the masks. I then brought all the renders back togther as separate layers in PhotoPaint and from there I was able to adjust the opacity, hue, glow etc of each object using the individual masks I created. In the case of that image, I actually adjusted the figure to be more orange to punch up the colour contrast. This saved me render time as I could make the adjustments with instant feedback in PhotoPaint instead of having to make test renders of the whole scene.

So how does this fit with rendering lighting effects with an alpha channels?

Let's say I want volumetric lights to have their own alpha channel: I set up my lights and then render my scene without the light cone visible. I then render the scene again with a black background and all the objects hidden except the volumetric light. Objects that need to cast shadows in the volumetric light can be made entirely black/white (or nearly transparent) with no reflections,highlight etc. (experiment) When I render this second version, I get the light cone effect against a black background. I then copy this image, adjust it in a Imaging program (convert to 1 bit, push up the contrast, colour mask etc...) to create an alpha mask of the light cone and save it as a separate image. I can then use the manufactured mask image and the image of the light alone to composite them together with the original render. You can do this for lens flares, glows etc.

It takes some planing to figure out what you should be rendering as a separate object to composite later. But this is typical film and high end production stuff: render a colour pass, reflection pass, one pass for each light used, mask passes for each object or effect, etc...

I've attached a example image of how this worked for my Brian image. The masks were created in Carrara by making the objects plain white, the background black, the ambient light 100%, no other lights and hiding all the other objects. This renders very quickly using the zbuffer. Do these steps after you have rendered the other parts of your image and save your Carrara file with a different file name so you don't over-write your original file.

See the final image at http://www3.telus.net/pem/brian.htm (the better version is at the bottom of the page)

Ed ( ) posted Tue, 29 April 2003 at 1:08 PM

thanks for feedback. i'm thinking of rendering a 3d object, say a glowing sphere, with alpha channel and keying it with video files of a person standing in front of a green matte in adobe premiere. the 3d object have to circle around the person. i have tried rendering in photoshop sequence format with the mask box check but it doesnt work with lighting or any glowing effects. any other suggestions?

claudiomil ( ) posted Thu, 01 May 2003 at 5:17 PM

Open the video file of the person with green background on premiere and create a new file as alpha channel. Render your animated glowing sphere with black background. Back on premiere, composit all the files using color transparency on the sphere file, swiching the layers depending on the position of the sphere in relation of the person (sphere in from or on the back of the person) I did that before. Work pretty well.

claudiomil ( ) posted Thu, 01 May 2003 at 5:24 PM

You also can do the final compositing (person plus final background, use this as a backdrop on carrara, animate de effects in top of the scene and render. back to premiere, use this rendered file just to composit the frames on the person is in from of the effects. This works fine to. Good luck! ;)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.