Sat, Sep 21, 4:42 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 10:49 pm)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Cetification Using Software????...????

harold_u ( ) posted Sun, 28 May 2000 at 1:16 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 4:41 PM

Can anyone help me with these questions please...... What is the difference if someone knows a program well enough to do practically anything with that program (such as photoshop, illustrator, flash, etc.) or someone who has been certified in Photoshop, illustrator, etc. Do the ones who have been certified know more, know less, or are just certified to teach....How does it all work? -How can I or someone else get certified in using a software? -What are the advantages of being certified, or is it just a certification? -Will I have a better chance of getting the job if I am certified as apposed to someone who isn't? or is it mostly up to how good your portfolio is? Thanks for your time.

bbascuba ( ) posted Mon, 29 May 2000 at 9:17 AM

I am going to a school this summer called FMC. They have a Photoshop certification class ( Adobe reccomends this I believe ). http://www.fmctraining.com/fmc.asp?v=Adobe&g=Photoshop I'm going for 3D Studio MAX and am also considering this course later. They are not cheap, but what is? :o)> BubbaScuba

Delrino ( ) posted Wed, 31 May 2000 at 5:01 AM

Hi i guess this: to have a certification is much better if you want to get a job as a trainer, but...if your portfolio is kind of awesome they might give you the job without certification (thats how they do it here in germany) just my 2 cents, Karsten

harold_u ( ) posted Wed, 31 May 2000 at 8:19 PM

Thanks for both your imputs.

CharlieBrown ( ) posted Thu, 01 June 2000 at 11:15 AM

Certification vs. Experience: In the rest of the computer world, a company is more likely to hire a person with the proper certification than they are a person with job experience unless the experienced person is willing to work for a LOT less money; I suspect it's the same in the computer art world. For practical purposes, all the certificate means is either that you have had a specific curriculum of study, endorsed by the publisher of the software, OR that you've taken and passed a test created by an independent organization and approved by the software publisher (or both).

LadyG ( ) posted Thu, 01 June 2000 at 10:33 PM

I have a certificate in Photoshop 5.5. I knew more than the instructor when I signed up for this 5 day, 40 hour "push-course". But as I quickly found out, recruiters and employers seem to want that "all important" piece of paper. I thought it was important to show a client and employer what you could do rather then what you could "learn" by sitting in a stuffy lab and do during a seminar-type course. And mostly fooling around with the software instead of diving into it. I left the class with the piece of paper and as a result had more offers then before. Silly Huh? Yeah, I thought so too. But it is a reality check.

dlm ( ) posted Fri, 02 June 2000 at 4:49 PM

It all depends on the final goal.If your looking to work in some form of computer art,say for an advertising agency or a web site design company then the qualification can often be nessissary just to get the interview.Once your in the door though I think it is the portfolio that gets the actual job.If your doing illustration in any form then nothing matters exept the quality of your work & the time it takes you to produce it. I,m afraid though that like a lot of things in life sometimes its just being in the right place at the right time,Often just attending a course can put you in touch with the right people.I took a year lomg course in Computer art & design,covering Photoshop,Quark Xpress,Freehand & some 3d.I met a guy on the course who ran a video company and ended up working for him where I use Premier & After Effects both of which I,m self taught in,so go figure!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.