Fri, Oct 4, 4:19 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 04 8:39 am)

Subject: Problems with CR2's not applying...PLEASE HELP!!!!

dlk30341 ( ) posted Thu, 15 May 2003 at 8:29 AM · edited Fri, 04 October 2024 at 4:17 PM

Here is the problem 3/4 of my figure library will not apply. Example....I have Mike2 loaded...single click on Mikes Dungarees, add to figure, the screen remains empty with a white circle around it, I then say conform to figure, then render...Mike remains naked, yes the correct textures are loaded with transparency set to 100%. Now on very few items when I go to add to the figure, a white "object" appears in the shape of the item selected, then everything renders correctly. What in the world is going on????? Now on the items that don't provide the "white" object, I have tried import as object to make sure its "really" there & it is. TIA Debby

RHaseltine ( ) posted Thu, 15 May 2003 at 8:42 AM

It's not quite clear from your post - you are clicking on Dungarees, say, in the library window and then clicking the double tick button at the bottom of the library list, yes? It may well be that the the RSR file in the folder with the OBJ you tried importing (not the one in the library folder) is corrupted - delete it (with Poser closed) and Poser will rebuild it from the OBJ next time you try to use the figure.

dlk30341 ( ) posted Thu, 15 May 2003 at 8:54 AM

Yes...to the first. Well I've checked my Geometry file folder & 90% of my obj's DO NOT have matching .rsr's. The CR2 has an rsr. Now I'm really lost :(. Since I'm very new at this..... I have done the delete thing with the "cr2" file & re-dnlded & tried to reapply & still nothing. I'm sorry for being so stupid, but I'm very confused at this point. I read at PWorld that the OBJ rsr's(Geometry file folder) were not needed & not that important. How in the world would most of rsr's get corrupted in the first place???? For heavens sake I've only been learning Poser now for 2 weeks. (struggling at that, as you can see) TIA - Debby

RHaseltine ( ) posted Thu, 15 May 2003 at 9:13 AM

Poser, like other ex-Metacreations products, uses RSR as a catch-all for all sorts of support files. The ones in the library folders hold the thumbnail for Poser 4 and earlier (later versions use PNG files that can be edited with most image programs) and the ones in the geometries folders are "fast loading" versions of the OBJ file, again for Poser 4 and earlier, which can become corrupted anytime Poser throws a wobbly with the file in use. I should have checked the version you had - ProPack and Poser 5 don't need the RSRs, but by your symptoms it sounded as if something like good OBJ/ bad RSR was happening. If you have a later version then that's not it, but if you have 4 and very few RSRs in the geometry folder (for items you've tried to open - you don't usually get a geom. RSR from the installation) then something odder than usual is happening. I assume you are not getting an error message?

dlk30341 ( ) posted Thu, 15 May 2003 at 9:24 AM

I have Poser 4 w/pro Pack(version says 4.2 Curious Labs)....& No error messaage is correct. Correct again that the Geom. files came with no RSR's. Even if I try to Preview before render...nothing happens....In the "preview" area....all the items related to the figure are showing up. This seems to be specific to me alone....!@#$ :(. Like I said the ones that work display the white object on Mike/Vic prior to rendering...the ones that don't have no white object on the figure Mike/Vic. I'm head banging here!!!!!! TIA - Debby

JohnRender ( ) posted Thu, 15 May 2003 at 9:30 AM
  1. Do not change anything in your Geometries folder. Period. Do not try to to "import" these files or worry that there is no rsr file. Poser uses these folders for reference and will create rsr's as needed. 2) You say you set the transparency to 100%... you do know that this makes an object 100% see-through, right? 3) The "white object" should be correct. Do you have your document window set to "shaded" or "texture shaded"? Hit Ctrl+9 to show it as "texture shaded" so you can see the textures. 4) When in doubt, consult the directions in the manual.

dlk30341 ( ) posted Thu, 15 May 2003 at 9:35 AM

Oh...1 more thing....The item selected is showing up text wise, at the bottom left of the work window...ie...Figure 1 & dungarees for example. Like I said too, when I "import" the obj. of the offending files the "white" obj does appear in the work area. Hope this helps Debby

dlk30341 ( ) posted Thu, 15 May 2003 at 9:41 AM

I was rendering with textures transp. at 0 - 100(various levels attempt). I was told to use 100...but it doesn't work no matter what transp. setting I use. To your number 3....texture shaded. That still doesn't explain why some white objects show up & other not.....should I be toggling between shaded & texture shaded. I've been thru the manual several times & can't find anything specific on this topic :(. Thanks - Debby

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Thu, 15 May 2003 at 11:27 AM

Where do you have the dungarees from? The reason I ask is that the behaviour COULD also be what happens if you load (or TRY to load) something that is an add-on, but where you haven't got the base obj. If you look inside the cr2, what obj does it tell you that it want to use? Check that the obj is where the cr2 looks for it, or you will indeed get nothing on the screen :o)

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

dlk30341 ( ) posted Thu, 15 May 2003 at 11:47 AM

Got the dungarees(actually overalls) from Poser World...I have checked the CR2 name & the OBJ name both are identical. Thanks for your patience. Debby

dlk30341 ( ) posted Thu, 15 May 2003 at 12:03 PM

OK...upon more research within my files, I have noticed that the CR2's that are applying, have an RSR to match the object file...as in Geometries the obj & rsr. I hope I have not done something really stupid here....I do the ProPack installed...Am I supposed to do something to "activate" it??? Based on 1 the prior responses saying ProPack does not require rsr's...So have I installed something incorrectly???? Since the working ones DO HAVE an rsr in the object file. Good Lord, if I have missed something stupid I will die of embarrassment> TIA Debby

KateTheShrew ( ) posted Thu, 15 May 2003 at 12:12 PM

I have Poser 4 w/pro Pack(version says 4.2 Curious Labs)<< Is it 4.2.1.179 or just 4.2? If it's not the first set of numbers (you can find out by starting poser, going into "help" on the toolbar and checking "About Poser") then you might want to download and install the Poser 4.03 and the Pro Pack SR3 from Curious Labs. I don't know if that will fix your problem, but it might - stranger things have happened. :) Just so you know, Poser can act really weird sometimes. ;) Kate

dlk30341 ( ) posted Thu, 15 May 2003 at 12:36 PM

Just 4.2 with Propack(just got it 2 weeks ago)...will give that a whirl....This is really a mind boggler...this appears to be specific to me, so I'm lost :(:(:( Debby

steveshanks ( ) posted Thu, 15 May 2003 at 2:12 PM

I think with the 20's dress doing the same (its a biggy with the fur) its most likely an rsr problem.......so go into the pwfw and pw folders and delete any rsr files (you don't need them being on pro pack) and i think that'll fix it.....FYI the RSR is a fast loading version of the obj file so what happens in a normal p4 is it will build a new rsr file but pro pack doesn't use them so it'll just load the obj.....With refernce to message 11 you haven't done anything wrong its just one of posers quirks you learn about here ;o), the ones with rsr's working is just coincidence coz pro pack doesn't look at them anyway ;o).....Steve

queri ( ) posted Thu, 15 May 2003 at 2:21 PM

Have you installed the Poser 4 upgrade to 4.03 and then the ProPack service pack 3? I'm just about to reinstall Poser 5 on my laptop, so I have all the updates assembled. This is what I install. Poser 4 Poser 4 memupdate Poser 403 updater.exe Pro Pack ProPackMemory update ProPack Service Release 3 Then I do 5 and it's service release. I dont know if the Pro Pack comes updated, mine didn't and I bought it wihtin the last 6 months. Emily

dlk30341 ( ) posted Thu, 15 May 2003 at 2:55 PM

To Steve..90% of my Obj's have no rsr's, are you talking about the rsr that is with the CR2...I thought that was just a "pic" of the item.....I'll try anything at this point. Thanks Debby

steveshanks ( ) posted Thu, 15 May 2003 at 3:08 PM

I've just realised what a stupid thing i said LOL if your on pro pack it won't load the rsr anyway...i'll start again ;o)..can you load the dungaress and then post an image before and after a render (or mail me it)...Steve

dlk30341 ( ) posted Thu, 15 May 2003 at 3:25 PM

Steve....I can tell you what happens.....when I load the CR2....nothing happens...even after rendering. I see the word Dungarees at the bottom left of the workspace. The workspace is blank.....where there should be an item, is empty with a white circle around it. After rendering...nothing has changed. By the way, when I go under render materials, the correct texture is listed, & the preview will not work either. The obj(white) is not loading. On the ones that work...the object(white) appears & renders correctly. The screen remains blank no matter what. I guess I'll check the CR2 with Word & check the Geom. location. Kinda scared to do that only working with this program for 2 weeks now. Oh well, whatever it takes. Thanks, Debby

steveshanks ( ) posted Thu, 15 May 2003 at 3:44 PM

if the location was wrong you should get an error about being out of memory (nothing to do with memory though just another poser quirk).still worth checking though, your ok fiddling with the cr2 in a text editor as long as you have the original backed,(didn't delete the zip)..the dungarees should be in geometries/pwfw and the 20's stuff in geometries/pw, with the 60's stuff that works....i wonder if the file has moved then been saved, try loading one and then go "edit/ restore/ all"..and see if it appears....We'll get there though Debby never had to give up on one yet ;o).....Steve

Crescent ( ) posted Thu, 15 May 2003 at 4:30 PM

There are 2 sets of .rsr files - one set are thumbnails, the other set are copies of .obj files. Whenever someone suggests deleting the .rsr files to solve a corruption problem, they are referring to the ones in the geometries[whatever] folder which also contains the .obj files.

dlk30341 ( ) posted Thu, 15 May 2003 at 5:16 PM

Steve...the dunagrees were in PW isntead of PWFW..now they work....I feel like such a dumb a*s...I maually extracted alot of these files & put them where I thought they should go(grouping them as I saw fit)...instead of letting the files do there thing...I was told by "someone" it was better to it that way since Poser did not like more than 1 tier below each directory...doing it that way I would avoid alot of problems. DAMN!!!!! God, I feel like such an idiot!!!!!!!! Now I have to go back thru & look at all my cr2's(which are in the hundreds) to see the obj. location. I'm somewhere between being severelly PO'd & VERY VERY embarrassed. I'm going to go crawl in my hole now & start fixing things. I doubt anyone will see me for a LONG LONG time. :(. I'll where a mask next time LOL Thanks for everyones patience & solving my idiotic problem. Debby

RHaseltine ( ) posted Fri, 16 May 2003 at 6:09 AM

It's only the library folders where you can't have nested sub-folders - Geometries and Textures are fine, they are just file paths and the creator can put the files wherever it's little heart desires. You will even find items (mainly those created in ProPack) which place the OBJ and the textures in the same library folder as the CR2.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.