Thu, Sep 19, 11:23 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Question about "Funhouse" reflections

electroglyph ( ) posted Fri, 27 June 2003 at 1:28 PM · edited Thu, 01 August 2024 at 6:30 PM

Wondering about doing a scene with mirrors opposite each other like in a funhouse hall of mirrors. Has anyone done it? How would you set it up? Infinite light or ranged with a huge value. Increase reflections in premium settings to 10? Go away on vacation for a week while it renders? If anyone has tried this I'd like to know.

Rayraz ( ) posted Fri, 27 June 2003 at 1:36 PM

I think it's just simply making refelective materials and a high raydepth. I don't think premium mode is absolutely neccesary. The rendertime will depend on the amount of reflective surfaces. A whole maze will probably render much slower then just one corridor.

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")
(")This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Rayraz ( ) posted Fri, 27 June 2003 at 1:38 PM

I don't think the intensity of the light will add to the amount of reflection.

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")
(")This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Rayraz ( ) posted Fri, 27 June 2003 at 1:44 PM

100% reflective materials have been used before to create repetitive structures. Usually for abstracts, but I don't see why a 'Funhouse' wouldn't work too.

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")

Aldaron ( ) posted Fri, 27 June 2003 at 1:49 PM

You won't get more than 6 reflections back and forth, the 7th reflection will be pure black. It's a limit in Bryce and no way to change it. IOW 2 mirrors facing each other, you'll only get 6 reflections in each mirror with those beyond being pure black.

Aldaron ( ) posted Fri, 27 June 2003 at 1:59 PM

file_64513.jpg

An example of what I'm talking about. 1 mirror in front of camera and 1 behind camera.

electroglyph ( ) posted Fri, 27 June 2003 at 2:30 PM

Rayraz If I make the material less than 100% reflective won't the subsequent reflections appear darker? Aldaron Thanks for the info on the limit. I suppose I could render the image then shrink it and paste into the black in postwork. I'm thinking of using an oblique angle so the 4th or 5th image will be beyond the edge of the mirror frame out of view. 7 will be fine. They probably had to limit it to keep the program from calculating to infinity. I'm on 39% Antialiasing on the second day of my current render. Probably won't get to set this up till Monday. Thanks for the info.

Rayraz ( ) posted Fri, 27 June 2003 at 2:55 PM

If the reflection is set lower then 100% each reflection will indeed be darker.

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")

Doublecrash ( ) posted Fri, 27 June 2003 at 4:53 PM

No, sorry, I may be mistaken, but I think I'm right: there's virtually no limit to the reflections, it's the value you set on "Maximum Ray Depth" in the Render Options. 6 was the limit until Bryce4, now, if you increase that value, your traced ray could go on and on and on... I'm pretty sure of this, but someone correct me if I'm wrong. Sorry, I don't have the patience to do a test with MRD at 48something ;-) S.

Zanny ( ) posted Fri, 27 June 2003 at 6:23 PM

file_64514.jpg

Yup I think doublecrash is right, i turned it up to 20. One sphere, one lightsource, and one mirrored box

Doublecrash ( ) posted Fri, 27 June 2003 at 7:03 PM

Whoa... 1 sphere, 1 light, 1 box, 1 minute? Quite striking... I want to try!

Aldaron ( ) posted Fri, 27 June 2003 at 8:53 PM

Ah so it is different. Just tried it with the above setting in my pic with ray depth 20 and it continues on. Good!

Aldaron ( ) posted Fri, 27 June 2003 at 9:01 PM

BTW max ray depth is 999 but beyond about 80 or so the black "box" disappears because by then it's too small to see but render times even with 999 did not go up with the simple 2 mirrors and ball.

jasonmit ( ) posted Fri, 27 June 2003 at 9:08 PM

file_64515.jpg

Hey, this is fun!

electroglyph ( ) posted Sat, 28 June 2003 at 12:15 AM

file_64516.jpg

Two Ninjas, 6x6 maze, default mirror texture, nine rays

extrusiontek ( ) posted Sat, 28 June 2003 at 1:16 AM

I can't seem to figure out how each of you did this! Can somebody help me??

jasonmit ( ) posted Sat, 28 June 2003 at 2:20 AM

I created a box with the default mirror texture and put a sphere, a radial light, and the camera inside. I then went to render opttions and increased the maximum ray depth to 20. And rendered. Voila! (Or for Rayraz, Viola!) I'm now rendering one with a ray depth of 100 that looks really cool.

electroglyph ( ) posted Sat, 28 June 2003 at 1:51 PM

file_64517.jpg

Here's one with a twist. positive cube with pearl wave material Four nested negative cubes bouleaned to each face. Three lights red , green , blue off the three front faces. Outside box with standard simple and fast mirror material. 12 maximum ray depth regular AA

extrusiontek ( ) posted Sat, 28 June 2003 at 1:55 PM

Forgive my ignorance....where is the default mirror. I can only seem to find the "Wild Mirror" in the cmoplex fx menu. I haven't seen anything exciting in the nano preview with wild mirror, brushed silver or polished silver. What have I forgotten? I haven't rendered anything yet because of the nano preview. It always seems to look like a big doodie! Thanks for any help!

jasonmit ( ) posted Sat, 28 June 2003 at 2:01 PM

It's in "Simple and Fast".

extrusiontek ( ) posted Sat, 28 June 2003 at 2:05 PM

ARRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH! pulling out hair by the handful Sorry, that is the one place I didn't look!! I have been going out of my mind.... You guys ROCK! Thanks.......

jasonmit ( ) posted Sat, 28 June 2003 at 2:05 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=433215&Start=1&Sectionid=2&filter_genre_id=0&WhatsNe

file_64518.jpg

I like the cube variation. I just put one in my gallery with MRD of 100. It's called Blue Infinity. I thanked Doublecrash, Zanny, and electroglyph in the comments.

Vile ( ) posted Sat, 28 June 2003 at 2:37 PM

I might try my glass globe and see if I can crash my computer again.

boblaprime ( ) posted Tue, 01 July 2003 at 7:24 AM

file_64519.jpg

"You can never have enough beans"

This is something I did last year. Max ray depth. Don't remember the other particulars but I'll look them up if you want.

Rayraz ( ) posted Sun, 20 July 2003 at 2:29 AM

Ooh. I missed out on so much cool stuff. I'm going to try this later too.

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")

Ang25 ( ) posted Sun, 20 July 2003 at 6:00 AM

Rayraz, you are going to go nuts with all that you missed in the past 3 weeks. So many cool things have come up. Good luck!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.