Fri, Sep 20, 7:51 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Nikon Users - Help needed!

zhounder ( ) posted Sun, 06 July 2003 at 10:54 AM ยท edited Sat, 31 August 2024 at 3:49 PM

I am looking into the Nikkon dSLR's (D100 vs. D1x) so that I can start the budgeting plan. I currently am using a Nikkon N6006 with two different lenses. The Nikkor AF 35-70mm 1:3.3-4.5 and the Nikkor AF 70-210mm 1:4-5.6. I want to be able to use these lenses with whatever dSLR I end up buying. I bought my setup second hand from a widow who's husband had originally purchased everything which means I can't go back to him to learn anything. I went to Nikon.com to compare cameras and to see what lenses are compatable. They keep mentioning D-type G-type and AF-S lenses. I can't tell what type lenses I have other than the models mentioned above. I really want to save the money on buying new lenses and I want to be able to switch back and forth from film and digital. At the same time I would like there to be as much compatability as possible. I have heard that there are issues with the D1x and some Nikkor lenses but the comparision charts from Nikon aren't that clear for a novice like myself. Any input, suggestions or direction someone can give would be greatly appriciated. Magick Michael

B-P-M-peror ( ) posted Sun, 06 July 2003 at 11:08 AM

i can't speak for nikons themselves, but I do know there are issues with the lenses and the field of view. Like sometimes, a 50mm lens will be 50mm on a film camera, but due to the aspect ratio of the digital camera, it becomes a 70mm lens, and stuff like that. Not all Nikons will accept all nikkor lenses. My N2000 is compatible with zoom nikkor, pc-nikkor, reflex nikkor, and AI-Nikkor lenses, but there ain't a chance in hell n auto focus nikkor lens will work on it. Then again, I only started shooting again after a 2 year hiatus in the past month, really, so Alpha's the man to ask here, he uses digital and film Nikon SLRs.

bleachfix ( ) posted Sun, 06 July 2003 at 1:54 PM

Just to mention another possibility. The Fuji S1 and S2Pro digital cameras uses AF Nikon lenses. If I had the money I would buy the Fuji over the Nikon, but I just purchased the new CDMavica at 5 MP that uses 3" mini disks instead of memory cards/sticks. I'm very happy with my purchase @ $700.

DHolman ( ) posted Sun, 06 July 2003 at 2:52 PM

The D1x is far and away the better camera. It's focused on the pro (being based on the F5) while the D100 is more for the upper end consumer/hobbyist camera. It was Nikon's answer to the D30 (and at the time, the pending D60). It's also the reason there's a $2000 difference between the two. If I'm not mistaken, the Nikon DSLRs will work with D-type (though they have to be F mount) lenses. It's just that if you want to use all of the functionality (autofocus, etc.) then you need the D-type. The N6006 is new enough that it should use AF lenses, right? Probably came out using the AF-S lenses (I'm fuzzy on this, since I'm a Canon guy so far). What I'd do is go down to a camera shop with my lenses and ask to see a D100 and D1x and put the lenses on them to see if they work. When you're eyeing a $1700 and $3800 camera body, they tend to be very easily convinced to let you handle the merchandise. :) One other thing to keep in mind. Both the D100 and D1x have 1.5 lens multipliers (due to imaging sensor size). In case you don't know what that means, your two lenses would convert to: 35-70mm = 52.5-105mm f/3.3-4.5 70-210mm = 105mm-315mm f/4-5.6 -=>Donald

DHolman ( ) posted Sun, 06 July 2003 at 2:53 PM

Opps..that 1st sentence, second paragraph should read "the Nikon DSLRs will work without D-type...".

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.