Thu, Sep 19, 9:02 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 3:46 am)

Subject: Help Me Figure Out How To Put A Hole In A Wall, Please?

pookah69 ( ) posted Mon, 07 July 2003 at 11:05 PM · edited Thu, 01 August 2024 at 12:30 AM

file_66075.jpg

(Image A) represents a prop of a wall with a fireplace. I want to place a single hole in the wall, centred over the mantle. I export the prop as an object, and texture map it with UVmapper (Image C).

I add a layer to the texture map in Photoshop, and put a black circle on this layer, placed over the fireplace, as I want it to appear in the render.

I export the prop back out of UVmapper, re-import it into Poser. I add the transparency map to the wall and get (Image B.)

As you can see, I am unable to place a single hole in this wall in the place I want it.

Any suggestions?

ockham ( ) posted Mon, 07 July 2003 at 11:23 PM

Your wall appears to have two facets on the back and two on the front; it looks like Poser is centering a hole on each of those four facets, rather than centering it on the total wall. That's one theory, anyway... How about removing the wall and using a One-Sided Square in its place? That might take the transmap more cleanly. ???

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

pookah69 ( ) posted Mon, 07 July 2003 at 11:49 PM

Okay, but in a case where there are four facets, how could I place the hole to have it appear where I want it? Or is it impossible when the wall is constructed this way?

Georgous ( ) posted Tue, 08 July 2003 at 12:02 AM

If you want to send me the wall in obj format ill boolean it out for u..Just a thought

smiller1 ( ) posted Tue, 08 July 2003 at 2:32 AM

There is two ways to do it yourself in Poser (that I know of). Method 1 is to colour in your texture and see where the colours are. For example, say I fill in the template with a spectrum of colours starting with red on the right through to blue on the left. Render the template and see where the colors go. From the render you should be able to figure out what area is where, although you may need to do another test with the spectrum going from top to bottom. Method 2 is to use the grouping tool. Mark the rectangular area (facet) you want in red, check you haven't selected anything else. Create your group and assign a material to the group. You can now select that material and apply a texture to it which doesn't have to cover the other areas.

Roy G ( ) posted Tue, 08 July 2003 at 3:08 AM

It looks to me like you may have accidentally hit the * key in UVMapper. That would quadruple your selection, and give you the four Portholes. Open it again in UVMapper, select the wall, and hit the = key to maximize it. Then resave the object.

PapaBlueMarlin ( ) posted Tue, 08 July 2003 at 8:18 AM

could you do a transmap on those areas?

pookah69 ( ) posted Tue, 08 July 2003 at 11:14 AM

PapaBlue, I did a transmap to create those holes. The problem is they are replicating across the wall, rather than just one centered hole in the wall. I will try some of the other solutions offered above. Thanks for the input from all of you!

maclean ( ) posted Tue, 08 July 2003 at 2:47 PM

If you had uv mapper pro, you'd see a real-time version of your texture on the object, but I doubt if it's worth spending $50 just for that. What you need to do to fix this is fairly simple. Assuming that the wall has it's own material, you can hide everything else and make a Planar map of the wall only. Use 'don't split', and Z-axis. That will give you a flat map showing only the front of the wall. You can maximise it or whatever, map the rest of the fireplace any way you like, then use that single wall as the template, and apply the hole to the wall material only. If for some reason, the wall doesn't have it's own material, you can select it in uv mapper and assign a material to it. Incidentally, it'll be another month or two, but I'm shortly going to release an entire room project where you can put the doors and windows anywhere you like in the walls and still get perfect mapping. I have 2 morphable, posable fireplace figures built, but they won't be in the initial pack. They'll be in the first expansion pack for it. Keep an eye out at DAZ. mac

maclean ( ) posted Tue, 08 July 2003 at 2:51 PM

PS It looks as though you might want to use 'split vertices' on the whole thing too. I'm not sure if it's just the lighting, but it looks suspiciously unsplit to me. mac

Roy G ( ) posted Tue, 08 July 2003 at 3:08 PM

Have you considered that that is an odd place for a window? Usually you would have a chimney right there.

pookah69 ( ) posted Tue, 08 July 2003 at 3:58 PM

RoyG, it will not be a window. It will be a hole over which a mirror is placed. Then, I will recreate the props behind the hole, to create a "mirror image" of the props in the room. This is being done in Poser 4 where I don't have the option of rendering true mirror images, thus need to actually build it with props.

Roy G ( ) posted Wed, 09 July 2003 at 3:21 AM

Ahhh, That's a clever idea.

smiller1 ( ) posted Wed, 09 July 2003 at 3:58 AM

An alternative method is to render the mirrored scene as a jpg/gif file and use the image as a texture on one-sided square. Most image editors contain a mirror function. If you need to animate the image, then you can create lots of one-sided squares, each with a frame of the mirrored action. place the appropriate frame of the mirrored scene in a visible position and hide the other frames behind it. The only problem with this method is it seems to hit a limit at about 370 images (on my machine), so you have to chunk your animations at this limit instead of the usual 999 limit.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.