Sat, Sep 21, 9:01 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 1:47 am)

Subject: I am frustrated with poser!!!!!!

cryodragon ( ) posted Fri, 18 July 2003 at 3:50 AM · edited Wed, 14 August 2024 at 12:15 PM

Attached Link: What is up with Poser 4?

I can not get meshes to load into poser 4 at all tried everything and I mean everything!! Went and got a text editor did not work, posted a querry on this problem tried those fix's did not work!! I think Curios Labs should get there heads out of there you know what and send out a update to fix this problem. I am seriously debatting on getting poser 5. I wont unless this problem has been solved about the software from not reading or telling rsr or obj files apart! Is there any other software titles out ther simmilar to poser with out useing something like Maya,Lightwave,Imagine, or 3d Studio Max? My system comprises of a MSI K7N2-L MOBO, 80 GB Maxtor HD, 1.0 g of PC 2700 333mhz. of ram, GeForce Ti 4200 8x 128 mb ddr ram graphics card and Windows XP Home.

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Fri, 18 July 2003 at 3:59 AM

Hmmm.. interesting that you mention another type of software that is similar to Poser...I was wondering the same thing..surely CL is not the be all end all of posable object editors...{or are they?}

~Jani

Renderosity Community Admin
---------------------------------------

PhilC ( ) posted Fri, 18 July 2003 at 4:00 AM

Are you saying that you are unable to File/Import any geometry files into Poser or that you are getting an error message when you try to load a figure or prop from the library?

philc_agatha_white_on_black.jpg

stewer ( ) posted Fri, 18 July 2003 at 4:03 AM

Can you give us a little more details? What version of Poser are you using and what exactly are you trying to do and where does it fail? Can you give us example files of meshes that won't load?

Spit ( ) posted Fri, 18 July 2003 at 4:29 AM

Attached Link: First thread

It sounds to me from this and your other post that you simply have installed Poser stuff into incorrect folders in geometries and that is the cause of your problems.

lesbentley ( ) posted Fri, 18 July 2003 at 6:53 AM

Whilst Poser 4 does have its shortcomings, I wonder you are being a little unfair on it here, understandable perhaps considering the problems you have experienced, but I wonder if this really is Posers fault. As PhilC and Stewer, pointed out some specific information might help us to help you. Can you load the default figures from the Figures pallet? Can you load props from the Prop Types pallet? Can you import a Wavefront Object (*.obj) via; File>Import> Wavefront OBJ? If you can do these things then there is probably nothing wrong with Poser, and the problem is with the installation of the additional figures and props. If you cant do these things then there most likely is a serious problem with your Poser instillation. In that case the first thing to try is an uninstall/reinstall of Poser. If you still have problems after a reinstall you should contact Curious Labs for technical support. One last thought. Where did you get your Poser 4 from? If I remember correctly there was a trial version of Poser 4 that would only load one default figure, you do have the full version dont you? Forgive me if I seem a little sceptical here, but most of us dont have the problems you mention, of courses there could be some specific set of circumstances, like a bad installation file that apply only to you, but on the info we have so far I still think the most likely problem is an incorrect install of the additional items that you are having trouble loading.

spurlock5 ( ) posted Fri, 18 July 2003 at 8:10 AM

When you get a figure from Free Stuff, the Marketplace, etc; you are getting a compressed file. When you uncompress it, generally the decompression software will install the files in certain directories and folders. The file suffix (.obj, .fc2, etc.) tells it what directory to put which particular file in. Usually, with the ones you buy commercially, all of this is done for you after you tell it the directory where you have Poser installed. If you correctly answer, the decompression software does the rest. Some of the character files you get require you to do some of this manually, especially the free ones. They will decompress the files but will not put them in the subdirectories where you need them. There is usually some instructions with these but they take some copying and pasting work. When you go to your library, look under figures, and click on this thumbnail, Poser then loads certain files. The figure file (has a .cr2 suffix) tells Poser the name of the files and their directory locations. The messages that you are getting is Poser telling you that it went to those locations and didn't find those files. Chances are the files are on your hard disk but not in the directories where Poser expects to find them. The character files (.cr2) are usually in your poser4runtimelibrariescharacter directory. You need to find the right character file (.cr2), open it using Notepad or some other text editor. Then look for the files that Poser is trying to load and their directory locations. If you looked in those locations, you would not find those files. You can do a search under Windows to find them. If you find them, move them to the directories that they are supposed to be in.

RHaseltine ( ) posted Fri, 18 July 2003 at 8:23 AM

The CR2 files are usually in a FOLDER in your poser4runtimelibrariescharacter directory.

Patricia ( ) posted Fri, 18 July 2003 at 10:23 AM

If you do a search under "Geep" you should be able to track down his guide to placement of Poser 4 files--with it open on your desktop, open up the Runtime folder in P4 and begin with Geometries to see if you're filing the .obj files in the right place, then go on to Characters, Pose, etc. Poser nearly drove me to drink last year, but it turned out to be a conflict with the OS that I was running...in the meantime, I'm sure most folks here thought I was nuts with all the weird problems I was having ;) Hang in there--the problems you're having are almost certainly solvable, even if it takes time to put your finger on them. Oh--you DO have the patch, right?? If not, go to Curious Labs site and DL and install it right away :)

Huolong ( ) posted Fri, 18 July 2003 at 10:46 AM

Your problem is either very strange or some basic is not being done correctly. The most common mistakes made in this regard (listed above) are related to not putting the downloaded files in the right directory. There are library items (check the files for the proper extensions), geometry files, and texture files. Geometry files MUST be placed in the file indicated in the README or it won't work. Texture items can be put anywhere in the textures directory in Poser4 and Poser4 will find it. Poser5 is cranky on that issue. If you are loading an object directly into Poser such as an obj, 3ds, or lwo file ... the right way is to "import" the file, not "open" it. Otherwise, it would help if you listed all the ways you tried to load an object so that the battle hardened folks here can help. T

Gordon

lesbentley ( ) posted Fri, 18 July 2003 at 1:53 PM

Here is an example of checking the location of a characters obj file. 1. Find the cr2 file for your character, look in: .Poser 4RuntimeLibrariescharacter[Some sub-folder] 2. Open the "[some name].cr2" in a text editor, the start of the file should look something like this:

{

version
        {
        number 4.01
        }
figureResFile :Runtime:Geometries:P4NudeWoman:P4NudeWom.obj
actor BODY:1
        {

The important bit is ":Runtime:Geometries:[some folder]:[some name].obj". On a PC this translates to the path [Drive letter]:[Path to the Poser 4 folder]RuntimeGeometries[some folder][some name].obj". In the case of ":Runtime:Geometries:P4NudeWoman:P4NudeWom.obj", this means the correct place for the "P4NudeWom.obj" file is: .Poser 4RuntimeGeometriesP4NudeWomanP4NudeWom.obj If the "P4NudeWom.obj" file is not in this folder then the cr2 file won't be able to load the figure, and you will get an error message.

varianie ( ) posted Sat, 19 July 2003 at 7:25 AM

i had that prob too, sometimes the OBJ was placed in the correct place but it didnt load anyway. Just try that: go to the runtime/geometries/whatever folder where is the OBJ u cant load and try deleting the matching .rsr file. Then try to load the figure. For me it worked, hope it helps!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.