Sat, Sep 21, 6:22 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 3:32 pm)

Subject: copywrite infringment

blau ( ) posted Mon, 03 July 2000 at 5:21 PM ยท edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 6:21 PM

I was just crusing the store and I noticed that some people had posted textures for Vicky. I can't imagine that the Zygote people would appreciate you making money off of their products. Even if they don't mind people trying to make money off them, I think it's really bad that someone would ask us to pay for a texture for something they didn't make. We all paid Zygote for Vicky, we should be sharing with each other as fellow owners, not charging each other money. That's almost as bad as asking someone to pay for a texture for the P4 man or woman.

beatone ( ) posted Mon, 03 July 2000 at 5:35 PM

There's nothing wrong in charging for a texture for man og woman figures if you've spend a long time making it. Ofcource, if it looks like shit it should be posted for free :)

cooler ( ) posted Mon, 03 July 2000 at 5:41 PM

I can't say I'm entirely objective on this, since I do have a "for sale" texture set for the Vicki clothes pack donated to the store, however I'm afraid I don't understand your objection. If I design a killer plugin for a specific software package (PSP, PS, etc) does that mean I'm not allowed to sell it but doomed to give it away just because I didn't write the original program? Perhaps the next time you purchase a custom accessory for your car you should explain to the vendor that he should just give it to you because he didn't build the original vehicle :-)

Ikyoto ( ) posted Mon, 03 July 2000 at 5:54 PM

If I spend time making a custom dashbaord for a 69 mustang, but the person who I am making it for has already paid for the car, should I give him the solid walnut dashboard? Sorry blau. Sounds like you just want everything for free. If you can't afford it, learn to make your own.

Marque ( ) posted Mon, 03 July 2000 at 7:45 PM

If you buy Vickie you own Vickie, and anything you make for her is yours to do with as you please, Zygote is not entitled to any textures you create for her. Any model you buy is yours, you don't even have to give credit unless it states that you do in the agreement, and if it did I wouldn't buy that product. It's when people try to re-sell the models they buy that it's copyright infringement. Marque

melanie ( ) posted Mon, 03 July 2000 at 8:10 PM

Blau, Zygote didn't create those textures you saw in the store, the artists who submitted them to the store did. If you sewed doll clothes for Barbie, you could sell them because Mattell didn't create them, you did. Basically, these people are making virgual "doll clothes" for Vickie (and/or P4 man/woman). They're based on the templates that Zygote gave with the product. The designs and work on the textures are solely the artist's, not Zygote's. If you create a texture map for Vickie, you're entitled to do with it as you please. If someone took say one of Tim Laubach's textures and tried to sell it, they would be violating his copyright, but selling an original texture doesn't violate the copyright on Zygote's Vickie character mesh. If you tried to sell a copy of the Vickie figure, then you'd be in trouble. I hope this helps. Melanie

ColtCentaur ( ) posted Mon, 03 July 2000 at 8:11 PM

John Galt remember this! "Poor Blau may be from a country that isn't built on capitalism, like cuba, and you may have to explane it better to him"

Nance ( ) posted Mon, 03 July 2000 at 10:49 PM

Although I initially found this presumptuousness irksome, I subsequently found myself viewing this expression of naivete as nostalgically refreshing. I was that young once, ...I seem to recall. (and now that you mention it, just curious, can anyone get on the net from Cuba? I do not recall ever seeing any individuals from there posting anywhere - and with the exception HongKong & Tiawan, no individuals posting from China either.)

ColtCentaur ( ) posted Mon, 03 July 2000 at 10:52 PM

They do have the internet at cuba, but everyone is so poor only the richest can even use the thing.

casamerica ( ) posted Tue, 04 July 2000 at 4:01 AM
  1. Zygote encourages people to make, sell or giveaway textures for their products. In fact, it may be one reason most of their textures tend to be rather lousy. It helps them, it helps the artists, it helps image creators, it helps the world! (Sorry, got carried away a bit there.) 2. Making these textures is NOT a piece of cake. To do it right and to do it well requires effort, patience, time and not a small amount of talent. 3. I guess the bottom line is simple, if I or anyone else sees something they do not believe should be charged for, then do not buy it. 4. There is Internet access in Cuba. I have receive email and do business via the Internet with people in Cuba, Hong Kong and even the Chinese mainland (Beijing, Shaghai). So, it is there, but, heavily regulated and censored. (I should say massive attempts at censorship are made.) 5.One reason everyone is so poor in Cuba is the inhumane, hypocrisy-laden embargo placed against it by the United States. Free trade with China, the people who brought us Tiananmen Square and massacred American troops in Korea, but starve Cuba into submission? What is wrong with this picture? (Okay, now hiding UNDER my soapbox to dodge the objects -- 3d of course -- now flying toward me.)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.