Tue, Oct 1, 9:38 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 01 3:49 pm)

Subject: Shafted again...no, not that way..;) Imports and Exports through Poser

pakled ( ) posted Fri, 01 August 2003 at 4:35 PM ยท edited Tue, 01 October 2024 at 7:40 PM

Thought I'd stretch a few brain cells by trying to make some Poser clothing..little baby steps (starting with something simple and static..an old 50's version of a space suit). Started in Wings 3d, got the basic shapes, exported them as .3ds to Poser 3..rotated them, and scaled to fit, then tried to export the whole Poser pz3 model, and the associated props as an .obj to Bryce 5..
What I get is a shaft, cylinder, stick, after it enters Bryce..whatever..don't know why. Thought maybe I should try exporting as .3ds..same shaft, different direction.
Finally just threw the individual pieces into Bryce..but that's not what I had in mind..
What I'm trying to do is just create the pieces and import into Poser so that they fit a standard character (there's a lot of room in a space suit, so it shouldn't be too hard to have it fit everyone)..forgot about the smoothing thang (imported objects getting smoothed in Poser)..but I was hoping to use the basic character to set the sizes and orientations.
Anyone know what I've missed?

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

pdxjims ( ) posted Fri, 01 August 2003 at 5:08 PM

Pull the same object you made for Bryce back into poser as an obbject file. Turn off all import options except "make polygons normal consistant". It should come in as a single model positioned exactly where you want it to be. Then save the pz3 file. Poser's import and export functions sometimes are a little, well, different to work with. I model in Amapi 5. It doesn't support .obj format files, so I export the final version as a 3ds file, import it and resize, then export it out as a .obj file for UV Mapping and grouping. Then I reimport the .obj file and bone the new figure in P5's setup room to make conforming clothing. I'll be glad when I can afford the new version of Amapi that handles wavefront objects. Hope this helps.

Tashar59 ( ) posted Fri, 01 August 2003 at 6:28 PM

pakled - Why are you exporting 3ds out of wings instead of obj? I don't have Bryce, so that is why I'm asking. I export obj in wings, if you click on the little square on the wave front export window in Wings, you can resize it there. I export the figure body parts from poser and import them at 20.0 import, 0.05 export. I build around the figure. Then when you are ready, export outof wings as a obj. Import into Poser with everything unchecked except the make polygon normals consistent. All the peices should fit right where you built them.

Tashar59 ( ) posted Fri, 01 August 2003 at 6:44 PM

file_69655.jpg

I forgot to say, If you run the part through uv mapper first and save model with the settings in the Pic above, you will get a smaller file size. Now I,m not sure how bryce handles that kind of stuff, but it works great in Poser.

pakled ( ) posted Sat, 02 August 2003 at 12:41 PM

thanks all..Gotta print this puppy out, and add it to my 'cheat sheet'.
@beryld- I dunno..I've used several modelling programs, some of which have produced 40 megabyte .dxf models from simple primitives..3ds has seemed the smallest file size. I hadn't really thought about .obj exports, but I'm going to now..;) I knew about the square next to the formats on Wings, but haven't experimented enough to figure out what they actually translate to..I've been trying to export at anywhere from 15-40% to match Poser's scaling..;)
The mapping options you show above..must be from obj, because I only get one question in Poser 3 (have to try it at home with Poser 4), looks like you're using XP, I'm still on 98, but it shouldn't matter much.
@pdxjims- as I understand it, I export it from Poser as .3ds, then import back as .obj? I'll have to study this, but at least it points me in the right direction. Now if I can ever get UVMapping to work..(I get out, but getting everything to go back in..well, it's nice to have projects)..thanks again to all who answered.

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.