Fri, Sep 20, 8:39 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 6:55 am)

Subject: Another nifty file trick with props.

Mason ( ) posted Fri, 07 July 2000 at 10:10 PM ยท edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 8:26 AM

I have these shackle props that go on the ankles and wrists of a character. 4 smart props all positioned correctly and work great. The only problem was I'd have to add each one seperately and I'd have 4 props in my prop folder. What I wanted was a prop that had all four shackles set up as smart props in one file so I click on one file and voila. So I thought, well why not just concatinate the 4 prop files together. Well with a little fudging IT WORKS!. Basically I added each prop after the version section but before the document section and made sure each prop had a unique name. Then I added the control lines to the document section at the bottom for each prop to attach them to their respective parts and matched up the names. Works like a charm. I can now couple earings together into one file (each earing being a smart prop), couple arm and leg props into one file and so forth. Its very handy. This is different than the subset option which I don't believe will remember smart props.

momodot ( ) posted Fri, 07 July 2000 at 10:42 PM

Does anyone have a primer on playing directly with the lines of code in a .cr2? How to load custom geometries etc. Point to two diferent geometry/.objs for one figure etc. Thanks.

thip ( ) posted Sat, 08 July 2000 at 1:07 AM

Any chance of a slightly more detailed description, Mason? It sounds damn important to propsaholics like, well, yours truly :-)

bloodsong ( ) posted Sat, 08 July 2000 at 9:30 AM

uh, guys.... i did this too, just copied and pasted over in the two panes of cr2edit. then i said D'OH!! you select one prop in poser, then press the 'select subset' button, and pick all the props to go into the library. (post-patch, of course ;) )

Mason ( ) posted Sat, 08 July 2000 at 1:58 PM

Yeah but does this subset remember the parents it was attached too? Just curious.

Mason ( ) posted Sat, 08 July 2000 at 2:02 PM

Nope. I just tried the subset method. The props do not remember their parents and are set to world space even though they were parented to the arms and legs when saved. And yes I have the patch.

buck ( ) posted Sat, 08 July 2000 at 3:04 PM

Thanks for the tip, Mason... It works great to combine smart props. What do you use for a thumbnail for the combined pp2? (btw, Masons original note should have stated we're editing .pp2 files here... NOT .cr2's) Anyway, I tried it and it works great! Buck

Mason ( ) posted Sat, 08 July 2000 at 5:49 PM

Well what I do is position all the props then save them individually and use one of the thumbnails taken at a total picture shot as the thumbnail. Just rename the thumbnail and toss out the rest. Warning though, I have no idea what Poser will do to this file if you try and save it out again.

bloodsong ( ) posted Sat, 08 July 2000 at 6:26 PM

heyas! mason, you are absolutely correct! the fool things don't remember their parents. ungrateful children! :) well... i'm glad i did it the long, slow, hard way then ;) for my thumbnail pic, i moved the props away from the head (didnt want that in the picture), then pasted to background. put the props back (off camera), saved one, then the other; did a combo and changed the name of the rsr thumbnail file to match it.

JeffH ( ) posted Sat, 08 July 2000 at 6:38 PM

This is the only line of PP2 code that is the difference between a smartprop and one that is not: smartprop.jpg -Jeff H. http://www.egroups.com/group/PoserTECH

bloodsong ( ) posted Sun, 09 July 2000 at 8:34 AM

heya; yeah, i was just about to say... you can save the subset of props, then just go in and add (or change) the parent line to a smartparent line. might be faster. :) thanks jeff! and thanks mason for pointing that out. if i had tried to make spart prop sets, i woulda gone nuts :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.