Fri, Oct 4, 10:20 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / 3D Modeling

Welcome to the 3D Modeling Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433

3D Modeling F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 29 9:12 pm)

Freeware 3D Modeling Software Links:
Blender | Trimble Sketchup | Wings 3D | Anim8or | Metasequoia | Clara IO (Browser-based 3d modeler)

Check out the
MarketPlace Wishing Well, as a content creator's resource for your next project.

"What 3D Program Should I buy?" Not one person here can really tell you what's best for you, as everyone has their own taste in workflow. Try the demo or learning edition of the program you're interested in, this is the only way to find out which programs you like.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Fabric is a b*+ch.

_dodger ( ) posted Tue, 05 August 2003 at 5:49 AM · edited Fri, 04 October 2024 at 8:23 PM

file_70101.jpg

*sigh* this is taking forever. It's been a good four hours now.

_dodger ( ) posted Tue, 05 August 2003 at 5:50 AM

file_70102.jpg

wf

illicit ( ) posted Tue, 05 August 2003 at 8:07 AM

From what I've been told, tri's work better for cloth... I cant say from experience though.

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Tue, 05 August 2003 at 1:55 PM

Well, if it's any consolation, it looks nice and fabric-y.

_dodger ( ) posted Tue, 05 August 2003 at 2:11 PM

Thanks LD B^) My technique cannot easily to tris for cloth. I crack open Burne Hogarth's Dynamic Wrinkles and Drapery and use it for comparitive reference in one viewport to create splines in the shapes of the peaks of the folds. Next, I go to another viewport and extend those splines into the third dimension so they wrap around realistically. Then I make a shape like a small cursive 'v' and lot it along each of these paths, then delete everywhere they overlap so that they don't, and start stitching them together using manual interpolation (select two vertices, shift-scale them (that's how you clone while doing something in Max), then keep scaling them till they are in the same place and weld them together, and you get a single vertex perceftly between the two you started with) to fill in the big gaps. The lofts output quads (and converting to editable mesh isn't the same, those are not hex-gridded tris, they're quad-gridded), and besides, even if tris work better for fabric, they also crunch too easily, and this is going to be a posable Poser conformer.

_dodger ( ) posted Wed, 06 August 2003 at 4:52 AM

nothing to add, I'm just trying to get LD back online so he sees my im

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.