Tue, Oct 22, 2:28 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 1:40 am)

Subject: Resolution in Poser 4

Gawain ( ) posted Wed, 12 July 2000 at 11:30 AM ยท edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 2:25 AM

I usually don't need to render my Poser images in anything other than 72 dpi. My current project will be printed so I will need to have a greater than 72 dpi render. Poser 4 "insists" on rendering at 72 dpi even when I change the render options to render in a higher resolution. I know there are ways to render the image larger and downsize it but don't want to go to the extra hassle. I know Poser 3 had that problem with resolution until the patch for Poser 3 came out. I didn't realize that the resolution problem would reoccur with every version. I have not installed the patch for Poser 4 because I have not had any problems. I am using the Macintosh version of Poser. Will the patch fix the resolution problem? Thanks for any help or suggestions.

visque ( ) posted Wed, 12 July 2000 at 12:12 PM

Here's a quick fix solution. If your final work will be printed at, let's say, 144 DPI (easy math) and it will be 2 inches by 2inches then you will need a total of 288x288 pixels independent of DPI. You will have to adjust in PhotoShop or a simular program (size will be too large), but the end result should be correct. Hope this helps. Visque

Nance ( ) posted Wed, 12 July 2000 at 12:26 PM

Again, you do not "render" at a DPI setting, you "print" at a DPI setting. Just render the image with the total number of pixels you want then, when printing, give it a DPI setting to tell your printer how much paper to spread those pixels across.

dlm ( ) posted Wed, 12 July 2000 at 1:09 PM

I can,t speak for the Mac Patch,but the Pc 4.02 patch solves this problem.I have tried a couple of test renders at 300dpi and double checked them in Photoshop and they are fine,although at that resolution any defects in models or textures are pretty glaring. Nance you do render at different resolutions dependent on the final output.72dpi is a normal standard for screen output on moniters or tv as thats the most they handle and anything over that is wasted,however when it comes to printing "image dpi" and "Printer dpi" are two different things and the image is better going in if its of a high dpi.About 300 is the regular requested amount in the UK. The larger render solution has a drawback in that when you transfer the 72dpi render to a 300dpi document the computer makes up the missing pixels itself therefore the final image is,nt of quite the quality of an original high render.

visque ( ) posted Wed, 12 July 2000 at 1:47 PM

I think what Nance and I are trying to say is that on a computer sreen and on TV the DPI is not really relevant. If you "render" an image at 800x600 it appears as full screen (assuming 800x600 rez) whether you are viewing the image on a 15 inch monitor or a 21 inch monitor. The same holds true in video production. There is no difference between an image created at 800x600 pixels at 72 DPI and an image created 800x600 at 300 DPI. If you up the total pixels of an image to compensate for a lower DPI and then resample to a higher DPI (in direct proportions) the following will happen. Your DPI will increase, your pixels wil remain the same and the size will decrease. There will be no interpolation required. Visque

Gawain ( ) posted Wed, 12 July 2000 at 2:01 PM

Thanks for the help.

dlm ( ) posted Wed, 12 July 2000 at 2:58 PM

Visque,In case you saw the last posting from me I deleted it because I was wrong in my explanation.What I am trying to explain(and I,m confusing myself here.I,ve had to go away and recheck,hence this revised answer.) is the difference between screen size and print size.You are correct in what you say,but if you were to require an image to be printed at say 9" x 12" and the magazine wanted a 300dpi image (the dpi of the original image has an effect on the quality of the printed end result,because of the amount of information it contains)then your 72dpi render would have to be 2,300 x 3,600 pixels big.This is the same amount as a 300dpi 9" x 12" image.The printed size would be the same it,s just the screen size seems outragous.But your correct there is no interpolation if you can plan ahead for your final output.

Nance ( ) posted Wed, 12 July 2000 at 9:13 PM

One of my fav recurrent threads because it tends to shake up the firmly held realities of hardcore Photoshop folks. Apologies to the old hands who have seen me do this song & dance before. Let me try it this way. There are no "inches" in a rendered image, just dots. So therefore, no dots PER INCH. Without the inches part of the equation, the DPI number is meaningless. Inches come in only when instructing a printer, not when rendering a file. A Poser file rendered at 800x600 at 72 dpi has exactly the same resolution (total pixels) as an image rendered at 800x600 at 300 dpi. Both are exactly the same, both are "800x600 pixels". Both files will be composed of the same 48,000 pixels and both can still be printed out across any number of inches of paper by subsequently telling the printer how many of those dots to print per inch of paper. You can change this scaling for printing, but that has no effect on the number of pixels in the rendered file itself. So, again, in Poser, the DPI setting has absolutely no effect on how the file is rendered.

Deimos ( ) posted Wed, 12 July 2000 at 9:47 PM

Nance, is correct; I have been working in the Graphics field for over five, years I started in the Printing industry, then Graphic Design and finished teaching.

Don ( ) posted Thu, 13 July 2000 at 12:49 AM

Before the Patch, Poser would export a rendered image to size, but the exported file would not hold the resolution. With the patch, Poser will hold the set resolution, but recompensate by not holding the set size. Nothing has really changed. Before, a larger window was set, then downsized in Photoshop to increase the dpi for printing. Now, a larger resolutin is set, then downsized to increase the image size. I am on a Mac. Still only one shoe instead of two, but it's on the other foot now.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.