Sun, Sep 22, 3:44 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Fractals

Welcome to the Fractals Forum

Forum Moderators: Deenamic

Fractals F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 27 11:19 am)

Subject: Where do you see fractals?

Glas ( ) posted Thu, 07 August 2003 at 8:18 PM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 3:40 AM

I have been often accused of not seeing things for what they are. As I am sure a lot of you out there have as well. Well be at the mall and the person we are with will be looking at the sunglasses and you'll be looking at the case. Tonight I was at the store the guy in front of me had a big and red and white hightlights in his brown hair and I am thinking wow what an interesting flame fractal. After hering him talk to that checkout boy I realized it was a fitting fratal for him. So how about it where do you see fractal images in the real world?

hewsan ( ) posted Thu, 07 August 2003 at 9:43 PM

Clouds - for the more abstract variety. Any tree or plant for the more "structured" variety. For me - these are the most obvious, but textiles, water in any of it's forms, and most organic objects have fractals as well.

smithgiant ( ) posted Thu, 07 August 2003 at 10:04 PM

Neat question...and I thought I was the only one who "suffered" from this malady ;-) I see them everywhere and even use the term "very fractal like" when describing everything from cloud formations, to flowers, trees, rocks...and just about everything in nature....not in people (yet) tho--maybe my "disease" isn't as advanced as other (grin)...or "structures"--and tend to use the word "organic" alot when it comes to some stuff...ya know, as in "not quite fractal". (giggle)

paragon5 ( ) posted Thu, 07 August 2003 at 10:51 PM

Glad to know that we're not the only ones that have that problem. I have a problem with seeing peoples clothes and seeing fractals. I catch myself thinking, " I would love to zoom in right there!" Great question and a big relief.

Pannyhb ( ) posted Fri, 08 August 2003 at 9:35 AM

Whew! I'm so glad I'm not the only one! In addition to the places listed above, I see fractals in TV/movie graphics, fire... and as my husband is a retired viral geneticist, I see the most beautiful fractal structures in electron micrograph photos of both virii and bacteria!

Rykk ( ) posted Sat, 09 August 2003 at 7:34 PM

Alright! Now I feel like the poor, shunned kid in the bee costume from the video for Blind Melon's "No Rain" who has finally happened on a WHOLE BUNCH of folks in bee costumes! lol Thought I was beyond help when I started staring intently at what seemed to be excellent Voroni texturing in the carpet at work! Keep getting fish slime on my nose from trying to zoom the cool mmmf orbitals in the coloring algorithms of largemouth bass, too. ;>) I see fractals in the branches of trees and in the shapes and coloring of seashells. (don't tell anybody! lol)

tresamie ( ) posted Sun, 10 August 2003 at 1:51 AM

Ohhhhhhh the branches of trees for sure, especially when backlit and in the rain (or winter ice!) The pond surface with water striders on it, sago palm hearts, tufts of bermuda grass, low tide! Ok...nearly everywhere! Glad I am in such esteemed company. :))

Fractals will always amaze me!

Longrider ( ) posted Fri, 15 August 2003 at 11:15 AM

I see them everywhere.

FractalGrrl ( ) posted Sun, 17 August 2003 at 1:39 AM

Heh. Paragon, I can totally relate. This zooming thing spoils us, I think. Yes, fractals mimic nature and nature is made up of fractals. Gotta love it. :)

fractalinda ( ) posted Wed, 20 August 2003 at 10:46 AM

ROFL! And my husband thought I'd gone daft (a given..but not particularly in reference only to this subject ;). I mean, I see fractals in EVERYthing..and I see much of my world and this life..as well as my vision of the life to come, in fractal form(s). The upside to this is I have an increased sensitivity to and appreciation for the creative process and the results thereof. I believe that God used (and uses in other worlds) fractal formulae that we've just begun to tune into..and on only an elementary level. No longer can I trip up the California coast or into the inland valleys oblivious to the grandeur all around me. Eroded land formations hold particular interest for me..and clouds have become not only interesting puffs of cotton candy in the sky..but glorious flames. And the light! Light has always attracted me, but light and shadow shows thrill me now! Have to admit, playing with MojoWorld (for the most awesome fractal-generated land/sea scapes) was what really got me going.

FractalGrrl ( ) posted Fri, 22 August 2003 at 5:35 AM

I agree, Linda. Nature is fractals and fractals are nature, even if they are arrived at by a bit of software, to me they're still organic in many ways.

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Fri, 22 August 2003 at 9:34 AM

I wonder if there is/was a philosopical/theological concept of "God/Creator as Mathematician"? Sounds like somthing that Voltaire or Rousseau might have posited....

RosemaryR
---------------------------
"This...this is magnificent!"
"Oh, yeah. Ooooo. Aaaaah. That's how it starts.
Then, later, there's ...running. And....screaming."

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.