Fri, Sep 20, 8:16 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: My current opinions on C3.

Kixum ( ) posted Thu, 14 August 2003 at 8:21 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 6:48 AM

Overall, IT ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!! 1.) The new soft shadow option is so dang cool that I'm literally losing sleep over it! Images which were (in my opinion) impossible before are now finally being realized. 2.) The plant engine thingamawhaptcha is really nice. It's still way over my head whenever I attempt to fuss with the settings but I still LOVE IT (I'm a guy, more buttons more happy!)! 3.) The new interface is really great. Normally I'm one of those sticks in the mud when it comes to changing interfaces but these changes are well designed and are along the lines of what I needed. Compacting a lot of the inputs has made the work space a lot nicer than I would have guessed practical. Well done! 4.) The new settings for using GI are nicer and I seem to be able to get better results faster than before. I could get nice results in C2 but I seem to be able to zero in on the target quicker now. 5.) Now I'm going to step on thin ground here but,...... for some reason, boolean operations appear to be more stable and cleaner. Please be aware that I still feel boolean operations should be considered taboo but I can cut stuff up in C3 that would crash in C2. Weird but cool. I've also finally developed "Kixums Rules for Boolean Operations" which really do help a lot. Hard to tell if this is part of it. 6.) HDRI, awesome, not much more to say there. 7.) DOF improved. Again, way cool! Bottom line, I think the improvements (while some could be considered trivial) could crank Carrara onto the map as a heavy hitting code rather than considered a medium code. You couldn't make Star Wars on it but you could make the poster! It just happens that all of the improvements in this version happened to be on my "poop" list and they fixed ALL of em! How could I be so dang lucky! I'm glad to see the changes Eovia is making. These guys are climbing the ladder! -Kix

-Kix

res1yfb1 ( ) posted Fri, 15 August 2003 at 4:04 AM

I think so too

Hoofdcommissaris ( ) posted Fri, 15 August 2003 at 4:04 PM

I am with you! I'm off checking them boolean things too. And, eh, you kinda forgot to mention the bevel option in the spline modeler, that, in combination with hdri makes, for example, turning an Illustrator logo into a 3D one a breeze. But is, of course, not what we want to use C3 for. It helps earning the update back, so why not?

JDexter ( ) posted Sat, 16 August 2003 at 11:21 AM

I had made an indoor location in C2 a few months back, and was so frustrated by trying to punch out windows and doorways with boolean operations. A habit I have is to save each step until I am satisfied so I can always go back. Anyway, I re-opened the original files in C3 and repeated the boolean operations that I had to majorly hand fix in C2 and there is definitly a difference in C3. While they were not perfect, I didn't have to unlink everything and manually play connect the dots. I had maybe one stray vertice the whole time. So whether they want to admit it or not, something has changed with the booleans, and definitly for the better! Also, built in UV mapping, awesome. I love knowing which vertice I am working on. HUGE and very welcome addition since UV was alsways a pain to me before. JDexter

Pinklet ( ) posted Mon, 18 August 2003 at 12:48 PM

OK, Im am placing my order this week. You guys sold me on it. Just the faster rendering engine, the Tree thing, and UV mapping is what's got me sold.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.