Mon, Oct 21, 11:27 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 11:11 pm)

Subject: Daz Millenium Dog

rtamesis ( ) posted Sun, 24 August 2003 at 5:13 PM · edited Mon, 21 October 2024 at 11:26 PM

I hope they are already busy working on it, with the ability to morph it into different breeds such as pugs, chihuahuas, Great Danes, etc.

ryamka ( ) posted Sun, 24 August 2003 at 5:51 PM

Nope, their next rpoduct in the series will be the Millennium Falcon. Supposedly it is supposed to be some sort of freighter based on the old YT-1300 models from Corellia. However there may be licensing and trademark issues (with the Corellian government, of course) that keeps that from happening. If the licensing issues are too difficult, I heard they would instead switcj to the Millennium penguin, but again there may be trademark and intellectual property issues with SCO. - Ray

pizazz ( ) posted Sun, 24 August 2003 at 5:54 PM

file_73176.jpg

I wrote to Anton several months ago and offered tons of pictures and a 750 page reference book on BIG DOGS -Grandeur and Good Nature - The English Mastiff. THe book has structure references, history, etc. I used to breed them and have a friend here who has about 10 of them. I offered digital photos for hair textures, blah blah blah. All I wanted was a promise that the book would be sent back to me - it's out of print. He said no - animals didn't sell that well and he was buried in V3 stuff, and he probably wouldn't remember to return the book. So then I wrote SALES@DAZ3D.COM . Got an answer from someone saying basically the same thing. My offer still stands on all the research material if someone wants to tackle this. I find it hard to believe that we don't have a decent dog. If you look at history, hell, no knight ever went into battle without his dog beside him. A couple of dogs in the picture were mine and some belong to friends.

MallenLane ( ) posted Sun, 24 August 2003 at 5:58 PM

A image of the mil dog was already shown in Product Showcase.

bijouchat ( ) posted Sun, 24 August 2003 at 6:00 PM

Attached Link: http://www.rbtwhiz.com

go look at the link, it says it all.

pizazz ( ) posted Sun, 24 August 2003 at 6:08 PM

Whoo whoo, why weren't they up front with me.

Chas ( ) posted Sun, 24 August 2003 at 6:59 PM

This puzzled me about the cat, too. I'd received an answer from them that no cat was in the works, posted as much in reply to a concurrent question in the forums, and then all of a sudden Anton showed up posting images of the cat WIP. I had thought that perhaps the cat was being developed independently and that DAZ wasn't certain about whether or not to carry it. But this is obviously not the case. :(

sturkwurk ( ) posted Sun, 24 August 2003 at 7:38 PM

Three words Welsh Pembroke Corgi If they're good enough for Queen Elizabeth... Just a request from a dog lover.

I came, I rendered, I'm still broke.

ryamka ( ) posted Sun, 24 August 2003 at 9:22 PM

One word. Twice. Chow Chow. - Ray

DraX ( ) posted Sun, 24 August 2003 at 9:30 PM

It's quite possible that at the time that no Millenium dog or Cat was in the works when you contacted them. You also have to consider that before they are ready to make announcements for their marketing procedures, any company is likely to say that a product is not in development. I can't really blame them either.

hmatienzo ( ) posted Sun, 24 August 2003 at 9:36 PM

Yorkshire Terrier!

L'ultima fòrza è nella morte.

Niles ( ) posted Sun, 24 August 2003 at 10:05 PM

A Jack Russel Terrier... Like WishBone,Skip,Eddie, and Milo. Great little Dogs, got 2 of them. They love to go play with my friends English Mastiff which is a Great BIG dog. The Mastiff would be great I have pictures of them as guard dogs and have seen them used to pull carts.

hauksdottir ( ) posted Mon, 25 August 2003 at 12:18 AM

Knights didn't take their dogs to war. (roll eyes) The dogs were used in hunting. "Four lean hounds went low and smiling..." Most dogs were bred to capture specific game either by digging it out, running it down, or flushing it, depending upon the type of critter and whethr the hunter sought to eat it afterwards. Does anybody else here play the game of venery? Carolly

pizazz ( ) posted Mon, 25 August 2003 at 12:44 AM

Carolly, go read your history books... (rolls eyes) History The English Mastiff can be traced back in time to the Venetians, who brought them on trading ships to great Britain, just before the Roman occupation. The Romans finding this large ferocious dog, immediately shipped specimens of various sizes and colours back to Rome for use in the amphitheatres, pitted against lions and gladiators. In the 10th century, the noblemen, of which most were knights, used them for battles, travelling up to 20 miles a day and attacking the enemies horses, breaking the legs with their powerful jaws and killing the knight, biting into the armour to get at them. There are many tapestries in famous art galleries depicting such scenes. They have had numerous uses all through the centuries, and are still a faithful, loving animal to posess. Once you have owned one, and seen the faithful, loving intelligence of this breed, if bred with the care and respect, that such an beautiful animal should be given, you will never want another breed.

Cyhiraeth ( ) posted Mon, 25 August 2003 at 12:48 AM

file_73177.jpg

The Dog in the Falcon

pizazz ( ) posted Mon, 25 August 2003 at 1:11 AM

There is evidence of Mastiff-like giant dogs dating back as far as 2500 BC in the mountains of Asia. Bas-reliefs from the Babylonian palace of Ashurbanipal (now on display in the British Museum) depict Mastiff-type dogs hunting lions in the desert near the Tigris River. Their coloration, of course, cannot be told, but other than being taller and leaner than current-day Mastiffs (as ours would be if raised in a desert and fed lightly), they are remarkably like our modern Mastiffs, despite the passing of nearly 4500 years. After this clear visual evidence, we must rely on folklore and oral history. Phoenician traders are believed to have introduced the Mastiff to ancient Britain, where the Romans found them and brought them back to fight in the arena. Marco Polo wrote of Kubla Khan, who kept a kennel of 5,000 Mastiffs used for hunting and war. When Hannibal, the great Roman leader, crossed the Alps, he took with him several battalions of trained war mastiffs, who, during their long travels, "fraternized" with local breeds to produce what became the St. Bernard, once called the Alpine Mastiff, as well as other giant breeds. All of the massive mountain dogs of Spain, France, Turkey, and the Balkans can trace their size back to Mastiff blood in their ancestry. Even the Chow Chow carries Mastiff blood, as does the Pug, which was originally a form of dwarf Mastiff. Theories advanced by various authors have focused on one or more of the above to try to identify the origin of the breed. What should matter the most to us is what the breed is like now, and how it came to be that way. Despite the differences of opinion on where the Mastiff originated, most agree that the British are the creators of the breed as we know it today. Of all the countries who used the Mastiff, it was the British who kept him in his purest form, and it is to them that we owe the Mastiff of today. They kept Mastiffs to guard their castles and estates, releasing them at night to ward off intruders. Henry VIII is said to have presented Charles V of Spain a gift of 400 Mastiffs to be used in battle. The Legh family of Lyme Hall, Cheshire, who were given their estate by Richard II (1377-1399), kept and bred Mastiffs for many generations. Stowe's Annual, a reference book, shows that King James I (1603-1625) sent a gift of two Lyme Hall mastiffs to Phillip II of Spain. These, or their immediate descendants, are certainly the Mastiff-type dogs shown in famous portraits of the Spanish royal children. Other sources indicate that Mastiffs were used as war dogs by the ancient Celts, and accompanied their masters into battle. When the Romans invaded Britain, they took the dogs back to Italy and used them to guard property and prisoners, as well as using them to fight in the arena. The Mastiff was one of the few breeds mentioned by name in The Forest Laws of King Canute, the first written laws of England. There, Mastiffs were required to be checked by the tax collector, who would make sure the middle toes of each front foot were removed so the dog could not run fast enough to catch the deer (which traditionally belonged to royalty). Tax collectors have not evolved much over the centuries; the penalties for failing to meet their requirements were extreme. In the Forest Laws, Mastiffs were mentioned specifically as being kept for protection. In the Elizabethan Era, the Mastiff was used to fight wild animals (e.g., bears, tigers, etc.), usually for the entertainment of the Queen. After the cessation of this cruel sport, Mastiffs continued to be bred by the Dukes of Devonshire and Sutherland, the Earl of Harrington, and other nobles. According to the scanty records of the Pilgrim Fathers, two dogs, a Mastiff and a spaniel, accompanied the Plymouth colonists aboard the Mayflower on their journey to the new world. In England, dog showing became popular in the mid-1800s. Wealthy people kept and bred Mastiffs and started the first recorded pedigrees. These were registered with what was then the only kennel club in the world, The Kennel Club in England. During the World Wars, Mastiffs were used to pull munitions carts on the fronts. In America, they were frequently found on plantations as property guards. The size of the Mastiff and its need to eat about as much food per day as an adult human made a Mastiff too costly for most common folk to keep, except perhaps for butchers. In England they were sometimes called "the Butcher's Dog" because a butcher had enough meat scraps to feed a Mastiff well, and could therefore afford to keep one, even though he was not wealthy. Mastiffs began to decline in popularity until the late 1800's, when interest revived briefly, and Mastiffs started to be imported into America. World War I saw their decline again in England, and by the 1920's they were almost extinct in that country in their pure form. It was considered unpatriotic to keep dogs alive who ate as much in a day as a soldier; entire huge kennels were put down as a result. World War II all but finished the breed in England. At the end of the war, fresh blood was imported from Canada and the United States to revive the breed. Now, fortunately, Mastiffs are well established again, the United States having perhaps the greatest number. Breeders today have bred the Mastiff for gentleness and have created an excellent companion, large enough to deter intruders and yet gentle enough to be dependable around children. Copyright 1995 - 2003 by the Mastiff Club of America, Inc. All rights reserved. Questions, suggestions, concerns contact us at staff@mastiff.org

c1rcle ( ) posted Mon, 25 August 2003 at 4:44 AM

woof

RHaseltine ( ) posted Mon, 25 August 2003 at 5:53 AM

Errr - Hannibal was Carthaginian, and crossed the Alps to attack Rome. The Punic Wars, Delenda est Carthago and all that.

bear99 ( ) posted Mon, 25 August 2003 at 6:08 AM

pizazz As an owner of 2 neapolitan mastiffs it is funny to see people's faces when you try to explain the history of mastiffs in general. Most of them are only used to seeing or knowing some of the more common breeds. I have been trying for the life of me to find someone to make a great large dog model. Here is a link to a great page for the Molossus breeds http://www.moloss.com/001/ptxt/breed.html

ziggie ( ) posted Mon, 25 August 2003 at 7:31 AM

file_73178.jpg

gotta have a Samoyed or I will never buy from DAZ again..! ;)

"You don't have to be mad to use Poser... but it helps"

DCArt ( ) posted Mon, 25 August 2003 at 9:30 AM

file_73179.jpg

And a Sheltie 8-)

bijouchat ( ) posted Mon, 25 August 2003 at 9:59 AM

I think some of those longhair breeds require reworking the Wolf :)

DCArt ( ) posted Mon, 25 August 2003 at 10:04 AM

Yeah, I think you're right ... our little Hunter (aka "fox face") looks more like the wolf. Uh ... DAZ? 8-)

genny ( ) posted Mon, 25 August 2003 at 10:21 AM

file_73180.jpg

Dedicated Digital's animal Kingdom CD has a Mastiff along with several other breeds. Their mouths don't open, their eyes don't close, and they don't pose very well, but with the talents of some you folks out here.......I am sure this can be improved upon. Genny

genny ( ) posted Mon, 25 August 2003 at 10:22 AM

file_73181.jpg

Here's a picture of the other's included in the CD. Genny

ryamka ( ) posted Mon, 25 August 2003 at 11:05 AM

Wow, those are pretty good. If the textures were a bit clearer, and someone had the time/system to add real hair into them they would look awesome in Lightwave/Max/Maya. - Ray

c1rcle ( ) posted Mon, 25 August 2003 at 11:15 AM

file_73182.jpg

how about a morph & texture for this breed? can anyone guess what breed she is? she's called sally & she's 3 yrs old.

DCArt ( ) posted Mon, 25 August 2003 at 11:21 AM

Is that a cockapoo? 8-)

c1rcle ( ) posted Mon, 25 August 2003 at 11:34 AM

lol, she'll be round to savage your ankles later ;) she's a shih tzu & a pretty good guard dog as well :) That's something we've discovered about the breed since owning her, they're not just yappy little furballs. They are fiercly loyal to their owners & extremely protective of them too even though they can't do much more than bite your ankles.

quesswho ( ) posted Mon, 25 August 2003 at 11:41 AM

file_73183.jpg

A Komondor, thats what we need. A dog with dreads. I own one and they are a fantastic dog. Huge, but great.(this isn't my dog) Marge

JVRenderer ( ) posted Mon, 25 August 2003 at 12:13 PM

Doggonnit, this forum's gone to the dogs!!

Software: Daz Studio 4.15,  Photoshop CC, Zbrush 2022, Blender 3.3, Silo 2.3, Filter Forge 4. Marvelous Designer 7

Hardware: self built Intel Core i7 8086K, 64GB RAM,  RTX 3090 .

"If you spend too much time arguing about software, you're spending too little time creating art!" ~ SomeSmartAss

"A critic is a legless man who teaches running." ~ Channing Pollock

My Gallery  My Other Gallery 

Caly ( ) posted Mon, 25 August 2003 at 12:15 PM

I'd love a Shiba Inu... some look like large red foxes...

Calypso Dreams... My Art- http://www.calypso-dreams.com

Renderosity Gallery

ziggie ( ) posted Mon, 25 August 2003 at 12:50 PM

EEEKKK...! It's a mop wiv legs...! j/k ;)

"You don't have to be mad to use Poser... but it helps"

genny ( ) posted Mon, 25 August 2003 at 12:50 PM

file_73184.jpg

Well, this is MY mil dog..........this picture was taken when she was around 2 years old, and I am afraid that she has gained a little weight since then. (: She is now around 175lbs. to 200lbs.......but we don't care....we love her "No" matter what. (: BTW....She is a pure breed, Harliquin, Great Dane.....and I have to say....she is the best, the most loving dog I have ever had in my life. Genny

Engel47 ( ) posted Mon, 25 August 2003 at 1:20 PM

file_73185.jpg

My Dog was reading this thread over my shoulder and urged me to post his photo too!! I know there is a GSD morph of the poser wolf out there somewhere, called Oscar, but Khan does not think it does his breed justice.

quesswho ( ) posted Mon, 25 August 2003 at 1:42 PM

file_73186.jpg

Ha Ha my Bruce is like a mop with legs, we say we should spray him with Endust and let him run through the house :) He is 33" at the shoulder and weighs 160. We also have a malamut and a mini-daschund(thats the dogs)

genny ( ) posted Mon, 25 August 2003 at 2:04 PM

Oh.....Khan, is just Beautiful! I do love "dogs" but I love cats too....I have 4 of those and all of them have a special place in my heart, right along with my dogs. (: genny

bijouchat ( ) posted Mon, 25 August 2003 at 2:44 PM

damn, that Komodor needs one of those conforming Dreadlocks hair props! :)

DCArt ( ) posted Mon, 25 August 2003 at 2:45 PM

Good grief, that mop does tricks!!! LOVE all these doggy pics 8-)

bijouchat ( ) posted Mon, 25 August 2003 at 2:54 PM

Genny... love your Harlequin, my parents used to breed them.

jaydiva ( ) posted Mon, 25 August 2003 at 4:29 PM

file_73187.jpg

I'd LOVE a MilDog!! Here's our office dog Isis in her cubicle :))

overlord_26 ( ) posted Mon, 25 August 2003 at 11:10 PM

I would rather see lions, tigers and bears instead. What would be really sharpe would be something like a prehistoric cave bear or siberian tiger. Wish someone at DAZ would watch the Discovery Channel "Walking With Prehistoric Animals" for some cool ideas. Even a plain old mountain lion like the ones that used to roam around the Western United States would be appreciated.

sandoppe ( ) posted Tue, 26 August 2003 at 12:27 AM

I wish someone would create the Minnesota State Birds: The Mosquito and the Loon :)

bijouchat ( ) posted Tue, 26 August 2003 at 12:37 AM

Daz already made the Mosquito a while back... not sure if anyone has done a loon yet.

sandoppe ( ) posted Tue, 26 August 2003 at 12:52 AM

You're right....there is a Mosquito there! Now all I need is the Loon!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.