Fri, Sep 20, 4:55 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:01 pm)

Subject: Why are my thumbnails soo small?

DigitalDreamsDS ( ) posted Thu, 04 September 2003 at 9:21 PM ยท edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 4:26 AM

I know this is stupid.. but why when I post a pic in the gallery the alloted size for the Image is soo small compared to the others, why is this??

pakled ( ) posted Thu, 04 September 2003 at 9:36 PM

depends on how you're making them. The limits for a thumbnail are 200x200 pixels, though I've had it get flaky when you render at that size (I use 180x180). If your program has the option to render thumbnails, try doing something at or below 200x200, and that should do it.

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

slinger ( ) posted Thu, 04 September 2003 at 9:53 PM

Are you rendering directly to your thumbnail size (because the maximum file size is specified here too) or producing thumbs with your image editing software? Maybe your thumbs are being resized because the files are too big? I know some places do that automatically.

The liver is evil - It must be punished.

elizabyte ( ) posted Thu, 04 September 2003 at 10:08 PM

I guess it depends on how you make them. I do it in Photoshop by taking the finished image and getting a 200x200px selection and putting that over an interesting area of the image, then copying that and pasting it to a new image and saving from there. You could also use the crop tool set to 200x200 and select an area and crop, which may (or may not) cause some distortion, depending on the area you select. Dunno if this is at all helpful to you, but those are my two methods of thumbnail making. :) bonni

"When a man gives his opinion, he's a man. When a woman gives her opinion, she's a bitch." - Bette Davis

slinger ( ) posted Thu, 04 September 2003 at 10:24 PM

If you're using Photoshop, hold the Shift key down when you drag the crop area, it produces a perfect square, then size it.

The liver is evil - It must be punished.

lhiannan ( ) posted Thu, 04 September 2003 at 10:30 PM

Maybe you have small fingers? Sorry, that was horrible, I know... If you use Photoshop, this is what I do... Select All then Copy my image, then Create new image at 200x200x72DPI and then Paste the image, move it around so the bit I want is in view, Flatten Layers, the Save for Web and save as a jpg with a compression that gets me under 15KB (usually 50-75% will do it).

wyrwulf ( ) posted Thu, 04 September 2003 at 10:37 PM

Your gallery thumbnails are all well below 200X200. The smallest and latest, "Dolphin Paradise" is only 62X52. What are you using to make your thumbnail pics? Also, you should render your images bigger. 600X800 would be a good start.

prog ( ) posted Fri, 05 September 2003 at 12:18 AM

It's the 12k limit-if you have photoshop, use the "save for web" option. I had the same problem and was very frustrated! I hope this helps!

EricofSD ( ) posted Fri, 05 September 2003 at 2:49 AM

I make mine at 190 and then compress the daylights out of them in Photoshop. Seems to work ok for me that way.

maclean ( ) posted Fri, 05 September 2003 at 6:54 PM

A couple of points re cropping and saving. I gave up on Photoshop's crop tool years ago. I always hated it... then I discovered the magic alt-i-p shortcut for cropping selections. Use the marquee tool to select, then press alt-i-p and crop it. Way easier. (also alt-i-i for image size and alt-i-s for canvas size) Second point - When you save an image in Photoshop, PS includes preview and color management information, which bumps up the file size. When you use 'save for web', none of that info is included. That's why web-save files are much smaller. I discovered this recently after using a free app call jpeg cleaner (lost the addy) which removes all this info from jpegs. I saved tons of megs of space with this app. But on web-saved jpegs, it changes nothing. Because that info isn't in them in the first place. mac

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.