Fri, Sep 20, 4:47 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:01 pm)

Subject: Maya Program??

DigitalDreamsDS ( ) posted Wed, 10 September 2003 at 4:05 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 4:32 AM

What is this Maya Program that I'm hearing about? Or am I misunderstanding that it is the Maya model?

SamTherapy ( ) posted Wed, 10 September 2003 at 4:09 PM

Maya is a very high end (and therefore very expensive) modelling application.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Wed, 10 September 2003 at 4:18 PM

Well, not that expensive if you consider the Complete version which competes well with Lightwave3D and Cinema4D at $2000. Unlimited version, otoh, is very expensive ($6000). 3DSMax is somewhere inbetween these two (at $3500).

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone

xoconostle ( ) posted Wed, 10 September 2003 at 4:22 PM

The Learning Edition is free! It's either save disabled or creates big watermarks, but it'd be the best way to see if you'd want to shell out. It's made by Alias/Wavefront (although I believe they changed their name recently.) They halved the price last year to $1,000 for the basic edition, if I recall correctly. It's definitely not for beginners. I had the LE for awhile and felt that it was beyond my capabilities. Still, it's one of the most impressive modelling/animation tools around.

whbos ( ) posted Wed, 10 September 2003 at 4:35 PM

The Learning Edition still costs about $10 for shipping so it's not exactly free. It also has very large watermarks and does not export to anything in a useable format to try it out so is pretty useless to me. It does save to a non-Maya format just for use within the program itself. I wish companies making demos would at least allow you to export to other programs for the 30 day trial. Do they think you will make money from it in thirty days? Even a one-day trial with save and export enabled could at least give you the chance to see if it'll work with other programs for what you want to do.

Poser 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, Pro 2014, 11, 11 Pro

Niles ( ) posted Wed, 10 September 2003 at 4:36 PM

Attached Link: http://www.3digitalcrafts.net/studiomaya/1download/

Also a model ...female doll

DraX ( ) posted Wed, 10 September 2003 at 4:47 PM

The learning edition is also included with the game Unreal Tournament 2003, with the added bonus of being able to export to Unreal Engine model formats.

stewer ( ) posted Wed, 10 September 2003 at 5:05 PM

The Learning Edition still costs about $10 for shipping so it's not exactly free There's a $0 download edition too. Version 5 isn't available yet, but will be hopefully soon. Maya the program is very popular amongst the big studios because a) it's very flexible and expandable with its SDK and MEL and b) it's robust c) it's one of the most featureful - the unlimited version comes with hair, cloth and fluid simulation. Even the $0 PLE comes with soft and rigid body dynamics.

whbos ( ) posted Wed, 10 September 2003 at 5:07 PM

I forgot to add that it also expires after a certain amount of time, but you can renew it (free I think). It isn't bad if you just want to learn the program though. The learning curve was too steep for me. I hear too many good things about Lightwave which I've considered.

Poser 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, Pro 2014, 11, 11 Pro

EricofSD ( ) posted Wed, 10 September 2003 at 9:14 PM

I think it lasts for one year. I just updated to 4.5 from 4.0. Had the previous one almost a year and it was still going.

Lyrra ( ) posted Thu, 11 September 2003 at 12:30 AM

Maya the program is totally unrelated to the Maya Studios character the "MayaDoll". We have a Maya forum if you wanna go ask them about the program itself :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.