Fri, Sep 20, 1:36 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Desperate for Help

deserted ( ) posted Thu, 11 September 2003 at 3:22 AM · edited Thu, 25 July 2024 at 11:22 PM

Hi there, I managed to make a human body in Carrara 2.0 to give it IK, when I tried to oepn it next time it gave me this error "A nil pointer error occured while executing Open" I have no idea why this error is coming. i spend some valuable time doing that object and I don't wanna loose it unfortunately I haven't kept the backup of that coz I was still doing it. IF anyone can help me how to retrieve the file u'll save me ...... God bless u thanks heaps deserted

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Thu, 11 September 2003 at 6:31 PM

Oh man, that's not good! I think that you're probably out of luck. Here is a last resort though: Move the C2 file to a new folder, then go to your objects browser tray and select the option to "Open New Folder" and navigate to the folder you just put the C2 file in. You will probably get a blank or question mark icon in the object tray; however, drag that into a new C2 document. If this works, immediatley do a Save As and also drag the object back into the object browser which will create yet another back up of the object. Otherwise, well, there is no otherwise... :P Mark

deserted ( ) posted Thu, 11 September 2003 at 8:28 PM

Hi Mark, I tried your trick but didn't work poor me...Anyways I opened the C2 file in notepad and tried to delete some part of the coding in attempt to retrieve some part. Having removed some part of the code I retrieved right leg of the body. Unfortunately thats it i have been able to retrieve. But thats Ok I guess at least got sth to start with again... Does anyone know why this error comes though ?

Kixum ( ) posted Fri, 12 September 2003 at 11:13 AM

I don't know why this happens and I have to confess, I wouldn't have thought to have tried to dissect the file (cool idea!). We've all been there. -Kix

-Kix

beetle-car ( ) posted Fri, 12 September 2003 at 12:56 PM

I've had this same error happen to me. Have no idea why. Fortunately, it did not take to much time to recreate the model from scratch. Interesting you were able to retrieve part of your work! I hope this has been ironed out in C3!

Nonspecific ( ) posted Sun, 21 September 2003 at 1:04 AM

Desperate, Since C2 files are text files, you can obviously modify anything you wish... if you fully understand the stuff. There is too much to explain, but essentially, various data structures in the file "point" to each other. Some structures are general classes, others are instances of those classes. If you find a pointer (name) in one of your instances, for instance (no pun), and find no corresponding class definition, then you have found a nil poiner... it points to nothing. This is so general as to be useless. Much study of the data structures is required to successfully modify the text files. Good luck, Jeff

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.