Thu, Sep 19, 7:58 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: My Bryce Anniversary

amethyss ( ) posted Fri, 03 October 2003 at 12:45 AM · edited Mon, 16 September 2024 at 6:51 PM

Something I keep wondering about is the percentage of members who do CG for a living and those who just tinker as a hobby such as me.This month will be a year since I owned Bryce5 and thanks to all these forums I learn a lot.I think.Members who do critiques are the most helpful because then I get a real feeling for do's and dont's.Thanks all for the links,the tutorials,and helpful commments.One day I might learn the tech side of Bryce.

Painting: The art of protecting flat surfaces from the weather and exposing them to the critic_____website

tjohn ( ) posted Fri, 03 October 2003 at 12:51 AM

I'm a hobbyist, but I was a hobbyist 3d artist before I discovered Bryce, and a traditional hobbyist artist before that. Stay tuned to the Forum, amethyss, and you'll learn quite a bit about the tech side of Bryce. :^)

This is not my "second childhood". I'm not finished with the first one yet.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

"I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather....not screaming in terror like the passengers on his bus." - Jack Handy

clay ( ) posted Fri, 03 October 2003 at 1:10 AM

I do CG for a living, and use Bryce professionally with a lot of other tools. The main thing is to just have fun and let loose with creativness, techy stuff can get in the way sometimes LOL!!

Do atleast one thing a day that scares the hell outta ya!!

Gog ( ) posted Fri, 03 October 2003 at 3:50 AM

I do both :-) The CG part of my work is a pretty small part, so I do the hobby thing to keep life interesting and improve my expertise.

----------

Toolset: Blender, GIMP, Indigo Render, LuxRender, TopMod, Knotplot, Ivy Gen, Plant Studio.

Flak ( ) posted Fri, 03 October 2003 at 4:05 AM

CG is a hobby for me. Though, I have done a few CG still images for my current work.

Dreams are just nightmares on prozac...
Digital WasteLanD

GROINGRINDER ( ) posted Fri, 03 October 2003 at 5:04 AM

Happy anniversary!!! Woooohoo. Party! Party! * shakes champagne bottle and sprays everybody *

Rochr ( ) posted Fri, 03 October 2003 at 5:19 AM

Im a hobbyist as well, although i get payed for images now and then. I think that if i had to put the label "work" on what i do, i would soon get bored doing it. Personal pleasure works well for me... Happy anniversary! :)

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

Pedrith ( ) posted Fri, 03 October 2003 at 5:24 AM

I'm a hobbyist. My real job is working in a high school library. :)

brittmccary ( ) posted Fri, 03 October 2003 at 6:12 AM

Happy Anniversary! :) I'm just a hobbyist, but I wouldn't mind doing it as a profession.

stash0404 ( ) posted Fri, 03 October 2003 at 6:56 AM

Im a hobbyist - i do however try to get bryce in my working life whereever i can - even on the companys website - www.ionsoftware.co.uk

mikeberg ( ) posted Fri, 03 October 2003 at 8:16 AM

Hi, I'm the new owner of Bryce 5 (just upgraded from 4) for one day now. (130$ Can. directly from Corel)but no doc. (well 60 pages)but with Real World Bryce I won't have to print the PDF file. Thank's all for all the freebies, tutorials, pictures, etc... What a forum !!! Extraordinaire as we say in french.

gregsin ( ) posted Fri, 03 October 2003 at 9:02 AM

I'm a hobbiest also. After retireing in 2000 I went back to school and got my degree in Computer Graphics and do some part time work from home but not the stuff I like to do.

Rayraz ( ) posted Fri, 03 October 2003 at 9:34 AM

I'm mainly a hobbyist. But I'm currently making in-game artwork for an upcomming computergame and I will get paid for that, and quite mucho $$$ too (mucho $$$ for a student doing parttime anyways) if I get lucky.

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")
(")This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

mboncher ( ) posted Fri, 03 October 2003 at 9:40 AM

Currently I am a hobbyist, but I'm working on some deals to start marketing my work for printed posters. I've been trying to get into my professional work now for a year, but so far no dice. Businesses in my area just don't seem to get the concept or want to pay for the work. As you can tell, I live in a rather stingy business area. I've been using Bryce for almost 3 years now.

catlin_mc ( ) posted Fri, 03 October 2003 at 12:00 PM

I'm both. I do traditional art and since getting involve in CG I've used that for work too. But I also do it for a hobby. There's nothing I'd rather do to relieve the tension af a hard day than potter about with Bryce, or Poser, or Rhino. I think it is all very satisfying and fast, when painting a picture it can take weeks to complete and you're generally working to someone elses specifications and time scale. Whereas with CG you can get results in moments and no one is telling you to have it done by such and such. 8) Catlin

Quest ( ) posted Fri, 03 October 2003 at 12:12 PM

Im a hobbyist as well and part-time free-lancer. Ive made some money creating art for different types of businesses.

Ive been doing 3D art since the mid to late 80s using Autocad, POV and later, 3D Studio DOS version. First heard about Bryce when it was introduced into the Mac. When it crossed platforms to the PC, I bought my first copy.

As a paid artist you are constantly challenged to come up with new and fresh ideas and be ready to rework your art to meet with the approval of the customers. So often, youre not working on something of your choosing which limits free creativity. You must be ready to divorce from your artwork, because once you turn it over, you are transferring ownership. You must be ready to work all kinds of crazy hours, because you have deadlines to meet. When your hobby becomes your work sometimes it is not as enjoyable and glamorous as some might think.

Claymor ( ) posted Fri, 03 October 2003 at 1:02 PM

Hobbyist....BUT....iahve used Bryce to build images in software packages, online applications, and corporate communications pieces so.... Hobbyist/corporate schlep

amethyss ( ) posted Fri, 03 October 2003 at 1:08 PM

Attached Link: http://www.amethysst.com

Excellent feedback...I'ts nice to know that hobbyists can produce some of the finest art.My proffesion is in contracting.The CG is my relaxation for everything including making websites.Sometimes I would rather be doing that than the other tools.

Painting: The art of protecting flat surfaces from the weather and exposing them to the critic_____website

padawanNick ( ) posted Fri, 03 October 2003 at 1:38 PM

Happy Anniversary !!! I picked up Bryce4 two years ago to help with my digital video hobby. Since then I've begun doing professional video contracts, so now I use it for professional work too. Bryce has been great for quickly creating custom animated backdrops, screen wrappers, "computer anaylsis" displays, etc. Clients go nuts over that stuff. :) Have fun! (deleted and reposted to fix some typos.)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.