Thu, Sep 19, 8:12 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Screwed outta $30 bucks...

Nukeboy ( ) posted Wed, 08 October 2003 at 2:24 PM · edited Wed, 04 September 2024 at 5:59 AM

Just bought a new PC game called RHEM (c) 2003, boasts to be like Riven and the "thumbnails" on the box looked pretty good, quite "Rivenesque". Fired it up and got two Macromedia runtime errors, then it finally worked. The opening animation was pathetic. I said to my self, "Self, a Bryce newbie can do better than this!". I continued to play for a few minutes and found it was like the original Myst; static images everytime you turned, no realtime 3d. I got a little disgusted (and ran out of time) so I quit out of the game only to see blurbs for Marcromedia and... hold onto your hats... Bryce 3D!!! The game is copyright 2003??? So which of you newbies out there just picked up B3D from one of those graphics mags and just cheated me outta thirty bucks? Grrr. Well, maybe the game play will be good, but somehow, I have my doubts...

svenberg ( ) posted Wed, 08 October 2003 at 3:48 PM

i think you should call them and talk to them! show them some of your bryce pictures (if you have any), ask them what they think of bryce 3d, and then ask them what they think of bryce 5, as well. and do they have any opinions on what should be put into bryce 6? it should promise to be a very amusing and a "wow do i feel smart" kind of conversation. oh, and while you're at it, if it comes up that they know about bryce 5, then ask them when the game was really made. again, it should be quite amusing.

Nukeboy ( ) posted Wed, 08 October 2003 at 4:10 PM

I think "when the game was really made" is the real question :-)

foleypro ( ) posted Wed, 08 October 2003 at 9:20 PM

Keep Playing it,Maybe it will get better... I am actually going to be using Bryce5 for my Level that I am building for The Unreal Tournament 2003-2004...Now I am using Truespace6.6,Bryce5,G-max,CharacterFX,Milkshape3D and of course PSP and DXT... Bryce is alot better Program then most Idiots will give it credit for they are still stuck on it can only be done in Maya and Max...Not true...Most of the folks who view my work say that my Graphics from a year or so ago beets most new games now,And of course all of our art will do it because they actually have to use a Tool called DXT to compress the Textures into 8bit so they can use more or go bigger with the resolutions...

foleypro ( ) posted Wed, 08 October 2003 at 9:28 PM

Oh cant forget the Unreal editor too...But yeah the unfortunate thing is they do have to compress the graphics...BUT...Mark my words in the next couple of years we will be able to use full blown Textures and Polycounts aint going to be a big deal...I for one am starting now because Game designing is going to do nothing but shoot thru the roof....

Rayraz ( ) posted Thu, 09 October 2003 at 2:23 AM

Well, All I can say it that I'm working on a game with brycian graphics right now :) But it's not being sold yet so it isn't the game you bought. I can promise you you'd be more likely to think "WTF?! How'd he do that?" then "WTF?! I can do that better in 5 minutes!". And I use Bryce 5 :) Can you make some screenshots so we can see how crappy the graphics really are?

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")
(")This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

catlin_mc ( ) posted Thu, 09 October 2003 at 6:14 AM

It does sound like this game was made a few years ago. You should contact them nukeboy even if it is just for a larf. 8) Catlin

mboncher ( ) posted Thu, 09 October 2003 at 9:26 AM

You know what meandered through my mind? It would be an interesting experiement to create a challenge to develop a Riven-esque game here in the bryce forum. Maybe a "fan fiction" version of the Myst universe could be fun or jsut the concept art. The format lends itself to the concept. What do you guys think? This idea worth pursuing?

Teri ( ) posted Thu, 09 October 2003 at 7:56 PM

haven't a clue on how to make a game.....but I'm interested in your idea mboncher. I think it would be cool if this forum did something like that.

mboncher ( ) posted Thu, 09 October 2003 at 8:20 PM

Let's see if Agent Smith has any ideas on how to progress.

Mrdodobird ( ) posted Thu, 09 October 2003 at 8:35 PM

The Bryce game... hmm, sounds great! Dunno how it would be done, but that would be awsome. A huge collaborative effort to create a huge game or something, all in Bryce.

foleypro ( ) posted Thu, 09 October 2003 at 8:38 PM

Sounds spectacular...Count me in...also check out, www.aveara.com Bryce5 is being used alot in this one right along side users of Max and Maya...Except I am mostly using Truespace for this Project Bryce5 will be used for almost all of my renders... But why dont we take it one step further folks... Why dont we just start designing a game from the ground up using Bryce and other software for the Backgrounds and animations?The Modeling can be done inside of Bryce and Truespace,Wings3D ect and we will set it up with the Gaming Boys to use an awesome "Free Engine" to be able to use an already Name brand engine takes money and or sponsership... I am not a totally sufficent at Modeling but I can and will help in any way also we can do some rigging and Boning iside of Poser and I can import into Bryce and I know some Max and Truespace folks have the Natural Program too and or the max and Lightwave Plugin...As for effects I can do those and for Low poly we can and might be able to get some Maxers and Cinema4Ders to help? Heck why dont we call all in and start it with the writers and then we can get the audio experts we can make it a Renderosity exclusive game that everybody who contributes gets a piece of the Pie?We will need Ideas concept sketches and all.... Man I can just start to Ramble and I have mentioned this about having all involved with short stories for sale here illustrated by us in the rendering community but this is actually a better Idea because now we can also set it up that all get involved and we can also put out the Walkthru's and still do the short stories which then could be added as extra levels down the road... Now if by chance we didnt want to SELL the game....? Then we can use the Unreal editor to make the levels and still use Bryce for the Landscapes and the Backgrounds...I have the Unreal Editor 2003 but am going to be getting 2004 as soon as it is available so I can get my Levels converted over to accept Vehicals... Ok I will shut up now...I am in...As Always B3D Let me know

markk ( ) posted Thu, 09 October 2003 at 8:49 PM

It can be done. Bryce can be used to make games ut just takes time. You can even make point and click adventure games, which I am making at the moment. THE QUEST FOR UTOPIA. There is a small demo available It takes time but the results are worth it.

Nukeboy ( ) posted Thu, 09 October 2003 at 9:16 PM

So we could then market it and I could get my $30 bucks back? :-)

mboncher ( ) posted Thu, 09 October 2003 at 9:26 PM

wow... didn't realize this blue sky idea had wings to it. :c) Okay, Lemme toss in my two cents on what had crossed my mind. I read the trilogy of Myst books a while back as well as played Myst and Riven. The concept of writing a linking book and creating a reality was fascinating to me. So what I thought of is a library of linking books, each artist would be able to create their own book in the library. I've no gameplay ideas as of now, just an image of the "player" wandering through the library, being able to view books at random. Sort of a challenge theme. Gads... just picturing this "Renderosity: The Game". Could really be something.

Pedrith ( ) posted Fri, 10 October 2003 at 5:31 AM

What type of game are we looking at? What type of story do you want to have. I'm already working in a computer game using Bryce and a product called coldstone, but I will help where I can. :)

catlin_mc ( ) posted Fri, 10 October 2003 at 8:16 AM

I like mbonchers idea. If it was a library situation the stories could be worlds apart and every book a different game. I also have the Unreal editor but I've never thought of actually making a game with it. This could be lots of fun.................ok, so where do we start. 8) Catlin

mboncher ( ) posted Fri, 10 October 2003 at 8:44 AM

I will be talking with Agent Smith on possibly turning this into an "official" challange or project. I'll keep everybody posted as this progresses. Ideas are welcome of course! :c)

mboncher ( ) posted Fri, 10 October 2003 at 8:44 AM

I will be talking with Agent Smith on possibly turning this into an "official" challange or project. I'll keep everybody posted as this progresses. Ideas are welcome of course! :c)

danamo ( ) posted Sat, 11 October 2003 at 3:23 AM

Sounds like an exciting project!

foleypro ( ) posted Sat, 11 October 2003 at 8:31 AM

Yep IM me when it starts...

Rayraz ( ) posted Sun, 12 October 2003 at 4:48 AM

sounds cool. If I have time I'd love to provide some graphics for the game.

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")
(")This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.