Wed, Sep 18, 3:27 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Bryce and Game Terrains

billgower ( ) posted Wed, 13 August 2003 at 9:47 AM · edited Sun, 08 September 2024 at 10:04 AM

I am trying to find a game where the terrain/landscape was done in Bryce or someone who is thinking about or working on a game where the scenery is done in Bryce. I am a new user to Bryce and have a few questions about using Bryce for game landscapes. Thanks for your help

draculaz ( ) posted Wed, 13 August 2003 at 10:01 AM

I don't think that Bryce was used for major games -not to my knowledge anyway. But if you're a newb the best place to start is not in movies, but with the basics :) Drac

Mr-Gibs ( ) posted Wed, 13 August 2003 at 10:16 AM

Attached Link: http://www.planethalflife.com/wadfather/

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but...

Bryce is often used to create the environment maps that appear in the remote distance of levels for games like Half-Life, Unreal or Quake. I have a huge collection of these at my website, the Wadfather.

wildman2 ( ) posted Wed, 13 August 2003 at 11:02 AM

Deltaforce series by novalogic.I make them for the series all the time..

"Reinstall Windows" is NOT a troubleshooting step.

Slakker ( ) posted Wed, 13 August 2003 at 11:04 AM

Bryce isn't usually used for the actual terrain you walk on, simply because of the insanely high polycounts.

wildman2 ( ) posted Wed, 13 August 2003 at 11:44 AM

deltaforce it is.uses a hieghtmap just like the one in the terrain editor greyscale but pcx, for the ground you walk on...

billgower ( ) posted Wed, 13 August 2003 at 11:54 AM

Wildman2, are you saying that the game creators used Bryce or just that you use Bryce to create additional game scenes?

clay ( ) posted Wed, 13 August 2003 at 11:58 AM

I've done game terrains and am getting ready to do some more for a company http://www.rubiesofeventide.com/ I'll be using bryce to create the terrains , some sky maps and textures. You can set the poly count on a terrain in the terrain exporter you can also export out the various components of the texture as well from there.

Do atleast one thing a day that scares the hell outta ya!!

dan whiteside ( ) posted Wed, 13 August 2003 at 12:21 PM

Attached Link: http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/games/evn/

The game EV Nova uses a lot of Bryce images - some of them not very good! In all fairness I think there's about 60 planets, each with a little static Bryce image. It also looks like Bryce 3 was used (this is a remake of an old Mac game) I think all the ships in this version were redone in Lightwave. Posted the link but there's only a touch of Bryce in just a few of the screenshots. Best; Dan

wildman2 ( ) posted Wed, 13 August 2003 at 12:24 PM

I am not a novalogic employee so i am not 100% sure,,NL is real secritive of any thing they do... I make additional terrains,skymaps,detailmaps etc..for import into the game.. With bryce's low cost and ease of terrain/enviroment creation why would one want to use somthing else.Of course I'm a litte biased :) when it comes to Bryce...

wildman2 ( ) posted Wed, 13 August 2003 at 12:30 PM

Clay do they use the bmpamt for the details on the terrains..like an overlay (not sure if thats what you would call it)with a transparency.Some neat pics in there..

electroglyph ( ) posted Wed, 13 August 2003 at 12:55 PM

Myst Island was done with a terrain map. Don't think it was bryce rendered though. There was a making of movie on the game disk that had the entire grayscale map shown. This was done before you actually walked around in games. movements were rendered in quicktime movies that played when you went N,E,S, or W.

catlin_mc ( ) posted Wed, 13 August 2003 at 3:05 PM

"There was a making of movie on the game disk that had the entire grayscale map shown" I didn't know that, I'm going to have a look at that disc again, I'd love to make the Myst Island in Bryce. Where can I find it electro, do you know?? Catlin

Ihawk ( ) posted Wed, 13 August 2003 at 3:53 PM

The Myst games were made with Strata3D.

Pedrith ( ) posted Wed, 13 August 2003 at 3:57 PM

Hello Billgower. Just to let you know that I am making a computer game using a program called Coldstone (www.ambrosiasw.com) and making all the maps and in game locations in Bryce 5. I also know of another individual who is using Bryce to make his graphics for his computer game. He goes by the name of KamaShin and his website is http://darkrising.free.fr/ He has several screenshots and an early playable portion of his game for download. Kamashin is way ahead of me, as I have just started making my graphics. If you have any questions please email me at Pedrith@hotmail.com and I will do my best to answer your questions. :)

Azraelll ( ) posted Thu, 14 August 2003 at 10:32 PM

Couple years ago, i was using Bryce for MechWarrior4 maps, made whatever type of battle terrain i liked.

Aldaron ( ) posted Fri, 15 August 2003 at 8:40 AM

Boy clay that game ha changed a lot since I last beta tested it some years ago. Looks like they went in a totally new direction.

lsstrout ( ) posted Tue, 14 October 2003 at 7:05 PM

Attached Link: http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/images/geneforge2/townentry.jpg

Billgower, I realize that this post is two months old, and you may have already found your answer. However, my company has used bryce for several object in the most recent games (the rest are hand drawn). The games are all icon based, and this may not be what you are thinking of at all. The table and wooden chairs are bryce, the critters are poser. Lin

lsstrout ( ) posted Tue, 14 October 2003 at 7:47 PM

Also, the table is someone else's model, the chairs were made by me. Lin

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.