Fri, Sep 20, 2:08 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:01 pm)

Subject: Render problems

MungoPark ( ) posted Thu, 23 October 2003 at 3:36 AM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 2:02 AM

file_81175.jpg

Hi, I am getting mad - the artefact in the picture appears when switching shadows on - independent from using raytracing, bitmap shadows etc. I tested everything - anybody has a hint ?

Mungo

xantor ( ) posted Thu, 23 October 2003 at 5:11 AM

I`m no expert on poser 5 but you could try smoothing polygons and see if that helps...

MungoPark ( ) posted Thu, 23 October 2003 at 6:32 AM

Smooth poygons on and off - no change (tried this already)

xantor ( ) posted Thu, 23 October 2003 at 6:41 AM

The car door looks as if it has a hole in it that you can see through to the back. If you have transparency maps on the car that may be the problem.

MungoPark ( ) posted Thu, 23 October 2003 at 6:57 AM

No transparency - as I said- at this point a shadow occurs and it becomes transparent- funny ????

stewer ( ) posted Thu, 23 October 2003 at 7:23 AM

Did you set a low bias in the light parameters?

Ariah ( ) posted Thu, 23 October 2003 at 7:25 AM

If You are using Fire Fly, try adding some displacement to the car. Not much, just 0.0001 value. With your texture map as bump. If You don't have the texture map, make something up. I has similar problems with this cadillac model. If that doesn't help, use postwork, as simple as that. Or Poser4 renderer. for the car and than compose the two renders in the graphic programm.

Zarabanda ( ) posted Thu, 23 October 2003 at 1:43 PM

I agree with Ariah, this looks like a prime example of postwork. Of course, I can understand mungo's frustration. If hes as stubborn as me, he wants to know WHY this is happening and fix it inside poser. But, your good old friend mr.postwork is always there waiting when poser is being a naughty, naughty program.

Zarabanda ( ) posted Thu, 23 October 2003 at 1:44 PM

forgot one thing, could it be a bump map? Ive seen bump maps do something similiar things when P4PP bump is applied in P4.

MungoPark ( ) posted Thu, 23 October 2003 at 1:52 PM

I am experimenting now - a render region only like in other programs would definitely help

MungoPark ( ) posted Thu, 23 October 2003 at 2:10 PM

I am stubborn thats right - but I also dont like postwork - for me the "art" or handicraft in rendering is to drive the renderer over the edge or near to it and get it to do what I want. BTW Frefly is in many aspects a puzzler for me, I made a real lot of experiments, and I still dont understand how it reacts in some situations. Stewers page was some help (thanx). I got the P4 renderer somehow under control, but not Firefly. I also wonder about some of the renders in the marketplace - I never get these results so easily. If I buy textures they always look like "s...." when rendered.

herr67 ( ) posted Thu, 23 October 2003 at 5:32 PM

If you select the light that is casting shadows you will see a setting called Min Bias. The default setting is .8, try .5 or .2. This is not under render settings but under the light settings (where you turn shadown on and off for that one light.

Zarabanda ( ) posted Fri, 24 October 2003 at 7:24 AM

Mungo, I admire your persistence in getting the most out of your renders. As far as items purchased not living up to their promo renders in the MP, would it shock you if I told you that a lot of those promo renders for poser products were rendered in C4D and other high end apps? Some vendors seem to be selling all sizzle and no steak. :)

MungoPark ( ) posted Fri, 24 October 2003 at 8:30 AM

I think this is somehow unfair to the customers, and I was several times quite upset. For one product (not a cheap one) even the lights and postures as in the promo were supplied, but I did not get the results from the promo - I wrote an email to the vendor, but I was told that I have to learn and try. Renderosity should force the vendors to tell their customers what renderer they have used, otherwise its a fraud.

Zarabanda ( ) posted Fri, 24 October 2003 at 10:46 AM

it does seem to be a lie by omission. I know how it is when what you see is not what you get. true, some products require a higher learning curve. but IMHO, any product that requires more than a little tweaking is poorly thought out and executed by the merchant. Im not paying for something because I want to sit there for days and finish the developers work, :)

MungoPark ( ) posted Fri, 24 October 2003 at 11:05 AM

Now my test renders are finished, none of the ideas above fixed it - I change the camera angle now - Thanx for your help . I also looked for inversed normals, none there. Mungo

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.