Sat, Sep 21, 9:38 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 5:40 am)

Subject: GRASS...

x-man ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 1:57 AM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 9:32 PM

Hy to all, finally i've purchase also mover4 for vue 4 professional and now i've all the suite fully functionally. WOW !!! Now my short film is ready to go in next step: render time. I've only one thing to solve: how can i make a big area full of grass, without copy and paste the little grass patch ? I've a scene in outside on a big road, to the side of this road i need to have a grass and tree, flower, and so on... Noe i've used a "copy and past tools" of grass patch to fill this area, but in this way i've a lot of poly and a not real simulation of grass. Some good way to fill a big area with grass ? Thanks to all Bye xman

x-man ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 1:59 AM

oopps... I have forgotten to ask you: someone had never seen on the net a free model of megaphone ??? thanks xman

gebe ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 2:44 AM

For the grass, you can 1. Use Bantam3d's free grassmaker (in the Backroom/free software) 2. Create 2 or 3 thick patches of grass, render them in high resolution, save them as alphas 3. Use these alphaplanes inside Vue to fill optically a big surface 4. Use "real" grass only in the foreground I think you could easily create a megaphone by yourself, even inside Vue Pro. Guitta

x-man ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 2:49 AM

But in this way... i loose the wind animation...correct ? I need to animate (wind) this grass.

gebe ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 3:00 AM

Yes. Then you have no choice, you need to use or to create Vue grass:-)

impish ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 6:20 AM

You could create one patch of grass and then use distribute to make copies to fill a large area. In Vue Pro each patch of grass can either be a copy or a new patch of grass. If you need to fit it onto a terrain which isn't flat (which I did for a picture I did a while ago) make all of the grass above the terrain and then drop it onto the terrain. Finally delete any bits of grass that arn't where you want them to be and fill in any gaps with new. One warning though - this method will up your render times considerably especially (I'd guess) with wind turned on.

impworks | vue news blog | twitter | pinterest

raffyraffy ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 7:31 AM

I have made a tutorial to distribute objects (therefore also grass) in one determined area. You can find it in the tutorial section by Backroom, with the title of: "To scatter objects in the scene (Vue d'Esprit 2)". Perhaps it can be you useful (even if it's based on Vue2). Ciao, Luigi.

regaltwo ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 11:18 AM

Yeah, scatter replicate is the way to go. Can run into a few polygons, but if you need grass, you need grass. Admittedly, entering all those numbers is a hassle. Part of my wishlist for Vue would be a function that allows you to place your object at one corner, click, and have that info remembered by Vue, then you would take it to another corner, click, memorized again. Then you could just go to scatter/rep, tell it how many you want, and zapppp, you've got grass, or trees or whatever. Good luck.

Drachen ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 10:23 PM

"Then you could just go to scatter/rep, tell it how many you want, and zapppp, you've got grass, or trees or whatever." I like Zap.

Polax ( ) posted Thu, 06 November 2003 at 12:39 PM

file_82914.jpg

Hi! If anyone needs a megaphone, I have this stuff for free (own model) it's fairly detailed but lacks a few things : trigger switch, hanging strap...) it's in 3ds format, the compressed file 830k more or less... Sorry, I don't know how to use my free stuff area..:(o Cheers Paul

Robot17 ( ) posted Thu, 06 November 2003 at 3:45 PM

Attached Link: http://www.useddishes.com/tutorials/hair_tutorial/hair_tutorial.html

Thought this may of use to you - Max grass tut that claims a very low poly count. Check it out - there may be a way for you to do a similar thing in Vue. I may try it one of these days but I'm a bit busy and don't need grass right now. If you figure it out make sure you post it if you would. Bot

regaltwo ( ) posted Thu, 06 November 2003 at 4:12 PM

That's an interesting approach. I'm going to play around with it and see what I can do in Vue.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.