Tue, Sep 24, 7:28 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 24 5:52 pm)

Subject: OSX Panther and Poser4

andymoraitis ( ) posted Fri, 07 November 2003 at 6:22 AM · edited Tue, 24 September 2024 at 7:28 PM

I'm just wondering if any of you Mac users are seeing strange performance while running Poser4 (in Classic 9.2.2 mode) within Panther 10.3 including flickering menu bars and dials that spin out of control when you move them. Any feedback would be appreciated. TIA, Andy

Barryw ( ) posted Sat, 08 November 2003 at 1:30 AM

Yep, takes forever to load anything too. You would think that with a Gig of ram given to Poser it would be pretty peppy. That's one more thing 10.3 has broken.....

andymoraitis ( ) posted Sat, 08 November 2003 at 5:34 AM

Thanks Barry. I thought I was the only one with these problems. I may just downgrade to Jaguar since everything worked well.

estherau ( ) posted Sat, 08 November 2003 at 3:50 PM

Hi, yes sadly, poser has become impossible in panther. It's so slow now it's horrible. I too have 1G ram. But vue pro which was impossible on my little 500 duel G4 prior, now works in panther, so now I'm really stuck as I use both. If anyone knows a solution to poser 4 in panther, please, please tell me. Love esther BTW I updated to latest quicktime and it didn't help

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

andymoraitis ( ) posted Sun, 09 November 2003 at 7:09 AM

Esther, Mine asked for the same thing (a QT Update) and that didn't help either. I'm running on a Dual/867 so it's not too bad, but what drives me nuts the most are the dials going out of control. The only thing I can think of is to boot into OS9 and not run Poser in classic mode from within OSX. Make your PZ3 file from that side and then restart and boot into X for all of your Vue work. That should stop the problems, but I'll leave it to you to let me know if that helps. Andy

estherau ( ) posted Sun, 09 November 2003 at 8:12 AM

I thought that probably would Andy, but I haven't done it yet. I normally have all these things going at once, so while poser renders I play with downloads or the renderosity forums or emails or photoshop or something else. So it's really really sad. I don't really want poser 5 as I have lots of morphing clothes and daz figures and I heard there were problems. Here's the things I tried that didn't help:- Zapped the pRAM, used diskwarrior, defragmented drive with poser on it using nortons, increased the temporary memory using the memory preference from OSX system preferences (You can hold down the option key and press on the tab, then you can up the slider thingy - don't worry about it - it doesn't help). I also scoured the net and found other people had problems with other classic application programs running slowly, and of course now there's conspiracy theories that apple did it deliberately to stop people using classic applications and make them buy new ones. I haven't tried reinstalling poser yet. Guess that maybe something to try but I have a feeling it won't work. Someone also suggested having the classic app on a different disk drive to OS 9 but I can't see that helping either. Someone else suggested maybe the video card is incompatible. Love esther

estherau ( ) posted Sun, 09 November 2003 at 8:14 AM

forgot to say, I also put in the disk one installer from Panther, restarted with C key down, and then turned on disk utility and reset the permissions. Needless to say, it didn't help. Love esther

andymoraitis ( ) posted Sun, 09 November 2003 at 8:43 AM

Esther, I remember the Keynote when Steve (Jobs) talked about OS9 and mentioned that it's considered a dead OS. I don't think that what Apple did in this case was deliberate, but their way of saying that OS9 will no longer be updated for additional compatibility in Classic mode. Since many of the underpinnings and functions of Panther are much more advanced than Jag, this is where the incompatibility comes in. As far as what you've tried, I admire your effort, but the problem runs deeper into how Classic interacts with Panther. The flickering menu bars and speed issues don't point to a bad video card, but a poor interaction between a very memory intensive application (Poser) and a very high-end OS (Panther) with a lack of additional integration thrown in. Apple has basically washed their hands of Classic. I hate to say it, but it appears the only way to fix it is to either boot OS9 or upgrade. I can live with what's happening, but it sounds like your condition is much worse than what I'm experiencing (I'm not getting any kind of speed loss). I'm in the process of trying Poser5 and since I do so much additional work in Photoshop and Painter, it probably won't affect me since I only use models and occasional prop armor, but your situation sounds a little more tough. The only way around it is to work in 9 and then go back to X when you're done. Oh and I may not be seeing the speed issues since I have a dual drive and my OS9 and OSX systems are on different drives (and I do run Poser on the OSX drive). Maybe there's something to that after all. I'm really sorry we couldn't solve this and I urge you to hang in there. It could be worse! Andy

wolf359 ( ) posted Sun, 09 November 2003 at 8:48 AM

Attached Link: poser5 on a 300MHZ G3(3 meg movie)

Panther did NOT ***"break"*** poser4, Poser4 was never a qualified "classic mode" application as stated **repeatedly** by Curious labs and others in this forum and elswhere. as far as morhping clothes and DAZ figures "not working" in poser5 OSX I linked to my p4 runtime and so far all of my custom figures are working including the DAZ freak and the new neftoon figure. with each iteration of OSX you are going to find less and less support for outdated so called "Classic" Applications this is not a conspiracy on the part of apple its the reality of progress and modernization Poser5 on OSX is not quite the horror show it was on the initial windows release in fact im running it on a **way** under speced beige G3/300mhz/352megs of RAM!!! as a legit owner of poser4 you could upgrade for $99 USD maybe its time to consider it. Good Luck :-)

My website

YouTube Channel

andymoraitis ( ) posted Sun, 09 November 2003 at 9:23 AM

I agree. It's time to move up and move on :-)

estherau ( ) posted Sun, 09 November 2003 at 4:57 PM

But I'm scared. I've heard poser 5 renders slower than poser 4 and that morphing clothes won't work anymore and it sounds like everything will take longer and be harder in poser 5 and what about importing my stuff from poser 5 into vue? But getting back to the panther, I have classic and OS X on separate drives too. I am interested to hear you haven't lost any speed in poser Andy. I'm going to move poser 4 to the other (panther) drive and see what happens. Yes, I do know that poser 4 wasn't supposed to work with classic, but it did, and I loved that. This is all very sad. guess I've just got to be brave about it all. The other thing that I think of is maybe I should wait for DAZ studio instead of getting poser 5. Love esther

andymoraitis ( ) posted Sun, 09 November 2003 at 5:59 PM

Esther, The great thing about P5 is that you can have separate runtime folders so you could try it and see if it's better. The learning curve is always steeper with something new, but I only render my characters and build the rest of the scene in any of my other apps (MojoWorld, Vue, Bryce, Photoshop). Again, for me it's not a drastic step and I hear the new render engine is much better. Write to the people at Curious Labs and have them address your concerns to see what they say. It could be you're worried about nothing (I would hope so). By the way, Vue has a patch to work with Poser5 so don't worry about that either. Keep us posted :-) Andy

estherau ( ) posted Sun, 09 November 2003 at 6:08 PM

Hmmm, Yes, I too only render in Vue, but I do millions of little test renders of my posers, clothes, props, textures and scenes in poser. Okay, I'm starting to warm to the idea. I guess I get the new characters Don and Judy as well (although DAZ doesn't support them of course.). So if I point my poser 5 at my runtime in 4 all be able to load V3 and Mike and Freaky with no problems into poser 5??? Love esther

andymoraitis ( ) posted Sun, 09 November 2003 at 6:35 PM

Esther, Yes indeed you will. And just think, we may not even need MacConverter anymore. Geez I hope that's the case. Really, I think you should write to the support department at Curious Labs and ask them every question that way you can get it straight from the source, Then again, many OSX users are happy with P5 so I'd definitely give it a shot. Hang in there :-) Andy

estherau ( ) posted Fri, 14 November 2003 at 1:27 AM

Guess what? I wrote to CL about my problem and they suggested moving my whole poser 4 folder to my boot drive. It was on my other internal drive where my classic drivers were. Anyway I did this, and the problem is now fixed, so I've been happilly posing away all afternoon! Love esther

andymoraitis ( ) posted Fri, 14 November 2003 at 5:14 AM

Esther, Good deal. So running on boot was the answer to the speed issue. I happened to go the other way and replace everything with Poser5. Classic and MacConverter are gone and I can forget about OS9 ever being on my system again. Glad it all worked out :-) Andy

Caly ( ) posted Fri, 14 November 2003 at 9:27 AM

That's good to know. I have Poser 4 and received Panther but haven't installed it yet. I actually am waiting for Daz Studio though. The pre-release for PC members is supposed to be towards the end of this month.

Calypso Dreams... My Art- http://www.calypso-dreams.com

Renderosity Gallery

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.