Sat, Sep 21, 5:50 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 3:32 pm)

Subject: animating problem

Burnart ( ) posted Sun, 16 November 2003 at 2:57 AM ยท edited Thu, 29 August 2024 at 1:06 AM

I've key framed a run cycle for a character and I want to be able to re-use and modify it when necessary but I can't seem to save it properly. When I save it to the library then apply it to a new project of the character it ends up just running on the spot and not moving forward with the run steps. I also tried exporting it as a BVH motion but had the same result. Can anyone suggest where I might be going wrong?

DSQRD ( ) posted Sun, 16 November 2003 at 7:26 AM
Online Now!

Assuming I understand what you're saying., there can be several reasons and solutions: 1) are you looking at the figure through the posing camera? If so change the camera. 2) How are you identifying the motion displacement. Often a BVH file will only define the body's movement relative to itself. You can identify this be looking at the animation pallette. If there are no keyframes indentified at the start and end of each cycle then you will not have movement through space. 3) When you save it to the library are you saving the body as well as the body parts?

wolf359 ( ) posted Sun, 16 November 2003 at 8:31 AM

Dsqrd is right you are likely just animationg a walk in place select the figure hip and check the Graph editor to see if there is any movment along the foward axis

My website

YouTube Channel

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Sun, 16 November 2003 at 5:45 PM

Remember that Body channels (xTrans, yTrans, etc.) aren't normally saved in pose files. You have to hand-edit the file or use a third-party utility (like MAT Pose Edit) to save those.

wolf359 ( ) posted Sun, 16 November 2003 at 6:52 PM

Attached Link: forward motion explained

I have explained this before and should really write that "Secrets of poser animation" Book ive been planning. go to the attached link and read post# 53 and save the animation as a BVH file for later reuse note: use the left or right camera and zoom way out t to see the forward motion as you adjust the Ztrans channel of the hip

My website

YouTube Channel

Burnart ( ) posted Mon, 17 November 2003 at 1:56 AM

I'm a bit confused by the replies but I'll have to try it - I have animations of my walk cycle the character (not the camera) definitely moves forward and there is no path involved. I can save the forward motion as a Poser project but not as a bvh or a library pose - in those 2 cases the forward motion is not recorded. Anyway I'll save and print out the comments and work through it. Thanks guys.

Burnart ( ) posted Mon, 17 November 2003 at 3:19 PM

The problem in the end was that I had keyframed the "body" rather than the "hip" for my forward motion. Seemed the more logical thing to do. Still wondering what page of the manual that little gem of info is on!! Thanks for getting me onto the right track.

wolf359 ( ) posted Mon, 17 November 2003 at 6:01 PM

not in the poser manual per se but in most cg character applications the hip of the root of all bone rigs "as go the hips.. so goes the body" as we say. happy animating

My website

YouTube Channel

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.